HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 17, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #13,682 of 20,374
ITT: Obligatory, subjective advice. That being said... Trevor at Norne Cables is the most helpful vendor I've ever dealt with. His cables don't suck either
beerchug.gif

May 17, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #13,685 of 20,374
My new Norne cable for my LFF Enigmas are coming in soon and it is red. I can send you pics when it gets here if you want to see how it looks. My Norne cable for my HE500 is just black with a Wenge splitter.

May 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #13,686 of 20,374
If you fancy a bit of DIY i can recommend Canare L-4E6S, seemed a waste not to use the SMC connectors supplied in the box
normal_smile .gif

May 18, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #13,688 of 20,374
May 18, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #13,689 of 20,374
Thanks guys, the choice of Canare cable came from this link -> http://robrobinette.com/BalancedCable.htm#Convert_HE-500

I tried the grill mod last night and i'm still on the fence if i like it or not, its possibly a little bit too bright now for my liking, but it did seem to help the low end dynamics which i do prefer.  I'm interested to hear other peoples opinions, and see what else you have all tried?

May 18, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #13,691 of 20,374

I used an eye cover that I got for free and never used. The area of weight distribution is bigger and I can move it way behind on the back of my head while the headphones and the stock headband stays in the middle of my head. I'd say worth a try for everyone as this mod is really cheap. Something stiffer would work even better - the stiffer the better weight distribution across this new headband.

May 18, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #13,692 of 20,374

I used an eye cover that I got for free and never used. The area of weight distribution is bigger and I can move it way behind on the back of my head while the headphones and the stock headband stays in the middle of my head. I'd say worth a try for everyone as this mod is really cheap. Something stiffer would work even better - the stiffer the better weight distribution across this new headband.

THAT is a really interesting mod. Does it feel a lot lighter though? i.e. Disappears on your head?

May 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #13,693 of 20,374
  Thanks guys, the choice of Canare cable came from this link -> http://robrobinette.com/BalancedCable.htm#Convert_HE-500

I tried the grill mod last night and i'm still on the fence if i like it or not, its possibly a little bit too bright now for my liking, but it did seem to help the low end dynamics which i do prefer.  I'm interested to hear other peoples opinions, and see what else you have all tried?

I feel the same about there being a touch too much treble with fully open grill. I've found myself really enjoying a similar mesh to your pic, but with the foam inserts from replacement Beyer pads adhered to the inside of the grill. The foam I'm talking about is the stuff that normally sits between DT880 (or similar) drivers and your ears.

Somehow it still sounds more open than the stock setup, but without quite as much treble. Not quite as open sounding as with no fabric though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back