HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 19, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #13,697 of 20,386
Hairs are reported to be a cause of rattling or something like that.. Else, I haven't heard of anyone having problems with dust.

May 19, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #13,698 of 20,386
Apologies if this has been answered before but this is one big thread and a quick search didn't reveal much. Are these headphones comfortable? Are they a tight fit? SS or tubes for an amp?

May 19, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #13,699 of 20,386
Comfort...for me not a problem BUT they weigh at 500 gr.  So make sure your head and neck can take it.  For me they're quite comfy, with the stock headband sitting flat on my skull I can wear them for hours on end without issues.  They fit well but don't exercise excessive lateral pressure.  From what I've read the main issue people have is the weight.

SS and tubes both work fine.  You just need enough power, I'd recommend an amp that delivers at least 1-1.5W clean into 38 Ohm.  With most tube amps there will be a serious impedance/damping issue but these are planars and somehow not as susceptible to it.  Be advised that they sound a bit warm by themselves so pairing them with a very 'tubey' tube amp might be taking matters too far.

Having said that, I'm currently listening to them via my ODAC/O2.  They sound good with it, a bit of extra power might be useful but it's not an issue.  When in Belgium I had them connected to my DV 337 dual mono tube amp.  That one delivers about 1.5 WPC in the cans using the TS 5998 power tubes and is quite neutral and ss sounding...very good pairing.  

Bottom line:  they do well with both but with an SS amp basically what you need to watch is just the power, with  a tube amp I'd recommend you to audition before purchasing as there are more variables entering into play.

May 19, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #13,700 of 20,386
Comfortable? No. But they are quite decent. No hotspots on my head and they can be bent not to clamp and follow the curvature of your head. They are quite heavy, though

May 19, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #13,701 of 20,386
Pancake its not as good as I thought it would be. I made this late last night. I need to find something stiffer, the one on the picture is too soft and it warps a bit and so certain areas have bigger pressure. Some really stiff leather might do the trick but I think this could really work if implemented right.

May 19, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #13,702 of 20,386
Pancake its not as good as I thought it would be. I made this late last night. I need to find something stiffer, the one on the picture is too soft and it warps a bit and so certain areas have bigger pressure. Some really stiff leather might do the trick but I think this could really work if implemented right.

Has been made before by GREQ using leather etc. he even made some for users on the forum.. I think if you search for comfort strap in this thread.

May 19, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #13,703 of 20,386
Comfortable, not really. Also, you may need to by a wrap or something else to have the band sit higher up on your head so that the cups don't try and slip off of your ears. But oh, the sound....... :D

May 20, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #13,704 of 20,386

I used an eye cover that I got for free and never used. The area of weight distribution is bigger and I can move it way behind on the back of my head while the headphones and the stock headband stays in the middle of my head. I'd say worth a try for everyone as this mod is really cheap. Something stiffer would work even better - the stiffer the better weight distribution across this new headband.

BRILLIANT!

May 20, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #13,705 of 20,386
  Apologies if this has been answered before but this is one big thread and a quick search didn't reveal much. Are these headphones comfortable? Are they a tight fit? SS or tubes for an amp?

Comfort is in the head of the wearer and I've had no problems with these. I did have a big problem with the LCD 3 headband to the point I couldn't wear them for more than about 20 minutes before I got a very painful spot. I suspect head shape affects comfort more than size because I have a pretty large noggin.

IMO, amps don't make a lot of difference except in volume attainability.  

May 21, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #13,706 of 20,386
  Comfort is in the head of the wearer and I've had no problems with these. I did have a big problem with the LCD 3 headband to the point I couldn't wear them for more than about 20 minutes before I got a very painful spot. I suspect head shape affects comfort more than size because I have a pretty large noggin.

IMO, amps don't make a lot of difference except in volume attainability.  

I could not disagree more, I noticed a huge improvement in going to tube amps. Using the AudioGd 11.32  onboard amp the phones exhibited a dry, harsh, grainy, & fatiguing signature, switching to using the onboard DAC through my tube amp all the above was reversed

This of course has nothing to do with the HE500 except that it plays what is put into it rather truthfully.  It will reveal amp shortcomings 

May 21, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #13,707 of 20,386
For those who still remember my ordeal and the insanity it bestowed, I am proud to announce that it has been fixed. Ground loop isolator did the job.

And remember kids, Radio Shack is your best friend for under 20 bucks.

May 22, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #13,708 of 20,386
  I could not disagree more, I noticed a huge improvement in going to tube amps. Using the AudioGd 11.32  onboard amp the phones exhibited a dry, harsh, grainy, & fatiguing signature, switching to using the onboard DAC through my tube amp all the above was reversed

This of course has nothing to do with the HE500 except that it plays what is put into it rather truthfully.  It will reveal amp shortcomings 

I guess the Bottlehead Quickie as a pre-amp would be a decent enough route to this silky smooth tone ?
I  remember one member on this thread said the Quickie also expanded the soundstage on HFM.

May 23, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #13,709 of 20,386
Haven't kept up so I'm going to touch on stuff from the last couple pages.

Cables: DHC gets my recommendation.

Comfort: with Lawton pads they are comfy, the stockpads aren't angled/deep so I didn't get a proper seal behind my jaw.

Amps: I prefer SS with the he-500, and saw a significant difference going with a higher end DAC+amp than I saw with a much more economical amp/DAC combo.

May 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #13,710 of 20,386
Haven't kept up so I'm going to touch on stuff from the last couple pages.

Cables: DHC gets my recommendation.

Comfort: with Lawton pads they are comfy, the stockpads aren't angled/deep so I didn't get a proper seal behind my jaw.

Amps: I prefer SS with the he-500, and saw a significant difference going with a higher end DAC+amp than I saw with a much more economical amp/DAC combo.

Care to elaborate on the amps and dacs tried and what you have found the best with the HE500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back