HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 11, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #11,911 of 20,386

Can you tell a difference between the WA22 and the mini-X when using either with the HE-500? I mean if you were blindfolded and someone swapped back and forth between the two could you honestly tell the difference and be able to name which was being used each time?

he said it many times...the wa22 is worse in driving the he500 then the emotiva as its not made for planar phones...but its excellent with a hd800...the emotiva is worse when u compare them on that headphone...right koiloco?

but on the other hand...if u wanna compare a emotiva and a custommade amp designed (drawn from scratch) and built to give the best sound possible (for given budget) for the he6 or he5 then i think i have to dissapoint u that the emotiva will  have a chance...

but dont worry..sooner or later i will bumb into a friendly (we are all friends remember!) emotiva owner on a meeting here in europe that i will attend...and then.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

but it will be his he500 with his emotiva and his standard cables (as most of u guys believe that cables are only for looks and microphobic thingies) against my code-x, with (by then) my Copper Venom RC-4 cable and my new amp...i think thats fair...right?
wink_face.gif

by the way..my evil one (remember my 337) is getting known and heard more and more (also because of the new owner)...is it possible people who considered me a fanboy of the 377 (and maybe full of sh..t about that amp) is now finding out what a gem that huge amp really is with a planar..i even read that the new owner is using his he6, his hd800 and his he500 on that amp, and acording to him he sounds wonderful with any of those headphones!
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #11,912 of 20,386
   Anyone heard the HE-500 on the Project Ember? Looking for a second amp and the Ember has piqued my interest as of late...

I say get a good tube in there and go for it. I even enjoy the 500 on my Project Starlight, it has a very transparent sound. FWIW I'm enjoying the GE smoked glass 6dj8 - you could ask Jeremy to give you one of them rather than the 12au7 clear top that I think it's currently shipping with (for a bit more $).

The volume LED on the Mini-X is totally blue and is a perfect circle. 
biggrin.gif

blink.gif
 Very true!

@hifimanrookie - hehe, was completely kidding :wink:

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #11,913 of 20,386

I say get a good tube in there and go for it. I even enjoy the 500 on my Project Starlight, it has a very transparent sound. FWIW I'm enjoying the GE smoked glass 6dj8 - you could ask Jeremy to give you one of them rather than the 12au7 clear top that I think it's currently shipping with (for a bit more $).

blink.gif
 Very true!

@hifimanrookie - hehe, was completely kidding :wink:

i almost forgot about the blue circle on the emotiva..hehehehe
i know u were joking...
beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #11,915 of 20,386
Better than emo? Prob not...

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #11,916 of 20,386
Feb 11, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #11,917 of 20,386

Thanks, I'll check it out

I have read about the mini-x, It sounds interesting.  Which output are you using on the mini-x for the he-500?

Well the only option is speaker taps. It may sound intimidating but it's not a big deal to use speaker taps at all. No worries from me.

Things can go wrong.. As I have experienced first hand. You should worry, at least a little bit 
wink.gif

I bet my HE-500 wouldn't have been broken/melted if I had a similar accident on a low powered headphone amp. In all fairness I did use the 125 watt upa-2 power amp..

But I have not heard about anyone destroying their headphones on the emotiva yet.. Except for the poor ibuds 
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #11,918 of 20,386
Exactly. I'm pretty sure the he500 could handle most of the emos power if not all of it.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #11,919 of 20,386
Exactly. I'm pretty sure the he500 could handle most of the emos power if not all of it.

Clipping/DC is a bitch. Don't think you can blow a hole through the diaphragm with mechanical force, but enough heat will do. Not that I know, it's all speculation.. But I was told by the German distributor that the only way the HE-500 will break down would be through a prolonged powerful signal if I remember correct.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #11,920 of 20,386
  Clipping/DC is a bitch. Don't think you can blow a hole through the diaphragm with mechanical force, but enough heat will do. Not that I know, it's all speculation.. But I was told by the German distributor that the only way the HE-500 will break down would be through a prolonged powerful signal if I remember correct.

I should be more careful with my cousin's 200wpc mcintosh then :p

He said it's rated to reach 400wpc but needs servicing :/ Anyways, the emo still sounds better than the mcintosh on the he500. I wonder why, synergy? People previously said the mcintosh probably has too much current, but IDK how that makes sense.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #11,921 of 20,386

He said it's rated to reach 400wpc but needs servicing :/ Anyways, the emo still sounds better than the mcintosh on the he500. I wonder why, synergy? People previously said the mcintosh probably has too much current, but IDK how that makes sense.

It might make sense that the mcintosh sound better when driving harder loads as it is optimized for that. It could at least be so..

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #11,922 of 20,386
Possibly, IDK I hope someone else could give input on this lol

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #11,923 of 20,386
My cousin said his McIntosh amp is the  MC2205 (so nvm, it's 200wpc) and he says it might be that it just needs to be serviced for it to sound better. Makes some sense.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #11,924 of 20,386

maybe the macintosh needs A HUGE overhaul because the capacitators or other parts that make that amp sound wonderfull are broken or at the end of their lives..

to be honest..u cant honestly compare an amp, no matter how good, in such a bad state to ur emotiva (its like u compare a 20year old used lamborghini miura (not restored, with bogus unrepaired engine) to a new golf GTI and then see which one drives the fastest in a straight line..the GOLF will totally annihilate him..as.that lambo probably lost half of its power because of normal use/abuse)...

am almost sure that that mcintosh will sound much better (and not only have more power)..what is it with u guys anyway that power is the main thing u find important in an amp???) once it had its probably VERY EXPENSIVE overhaul and then u have to compare again (afther the new parts are burned in ofcourse..lolz) ..i think u will come back on ur word stating ur emotiva will sond better then..just a hinch i have,,,
biggrin.gif

i say this as i once heard a mcintosh amp and it was one of the best sounding amps i ever heard in my life.no matter the pricerange....i cant remember the model though..only that it was huge and wieghted a ton.. pity it was way above my budget back then...

and thnkin about mcintosh..amd really interested in this amp to start my speaker rig later this year with, it has a high power headphone out also!:

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=integratedamps&ProductId=MA5200

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #11,925 of 20,386
Yeah...heavy it is for sure. Something like 100lb or something crazy like that lol. Sexy vintage amp tho, I gotta say. He really needs it to get serviced, and I bet after it does it'll probably sound 2x as good :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back