HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 6, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #11,716 of 20,386
I have no experience with the Meier Classic so can't comment on it's performance with the HE500's compared to the Lyr. Although if the tubes in the Lyr are Orange Globes, then the Lyr is capable of more. Then again, if you're happy with the Meier Classic, maybe it's not worth the extra $ for more Lyr tubes. Could be the Meier outperforms the Lyr even with holy grail tubes, which the OG's are not. Sorry-this isn't the right thread for this.

Well, you are talking about driving the HE-500s, so why not.  I was enjoying my 1967 OGs with the HE-500s recently.  I wouldn't dismiss them, esp. for the price (pretty sure I paid $70).  I went from those to some 1974 Voskhod Rockets, which aren't as musical.  1961 Bugle Boy Straight Man + HE-500s + live Rush has me rockin' atm, though 
darthsmile.gif

What are your holy grail tubes for the Lyr + HE-500s, at least from what you've got on hand?

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #11,717 of 20,386
Well, you are talking about driving the HE-500s, so why not.  I was enjoying my 1967 OGs with the HE-500s recently.  I wouldn't dismiss them, esp. for the price (pretty sure I paid $70).  I went from those to some 1974 Voskhod Rockets, which aren't as musical.  1961 Bugle Boy Straight Man + HE-500s + live Rush has me rockin' atm, though :darthsmile:

What are your holy grail tubes for the Lyr + HE-500s, at least from what you've got on hand?
Yeah, the OG's are probably the best tubes in terms of bang for the buck. Holy Grail for the 500, not sure yet. From the tubes I have- The Telefunken's are good, Amperex USN-CEP's are better. Probably my favorite right now are Ediswan CV2492, which is a surprise. Been told these are actually Brimar tubes, rebranded as Ediswan- which would translate to they are sonically similar to Mullards? Haven't listened to the OG's in awhile, maybe should give them another try. The 500's caught me a little off guard because tubes that played well with previous headphones aren't as great with the HE500. Maybe it's partly because of soundstage. Then again, never tried the Bugle Boys you mentioned. The holy grail, wish I knew...tubes are expensive.

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #11,718 of 20,386
 Out of the box: really enjoying them so far. More so than I thought to be honest. Problems? One of the velours has two indents that are about 1.5" thick... Not sure if they'll even out but it doesn't feel as though they will. Oh and is the cable supposed to have so much microphonics (I think this is what I'm hearing)? Jergpads and a new cable are next on the list! Cable recommendations?

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #11,719 of 20,386
   Out of the box: really enjoying them so far. More so than I thought to be honest. Problems? One of the velours has two indents that are about 1.5" thick... Not sure if they'll even out but it doesn't feel as though they will. Oh and is the cable supposed to have so much microphonics (I think this is what I'm hearing)? Jergpads and a new cable are next on the list! Cable recommendations?

I love my plusSounds Echo Series, but it ain't cheap.  Of course, there are other, more expensive out there (mine was less than the cheapest Moon Audio, e.g.).

Yeah, the stock cable is pretty damned microphonic.  Even with a "noise reducing" sleeve, I still hear some, but it's better.  Not that it gets much use.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #11,720 of 20,386

I had indents in my velour pads as well, although they were not as large as yours. They came out in a few days.
I find that most of the microphonics are in the run between where the cable splits and to where they attach to the earcups.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #11,721 of 20,386
I have no experience with the Meier Classic so can't comment on it's performance with the HE500's compared to the Lyr. Although if the tubes in the Lyr are Orange Globes, then the Lyr is capable of more. Then again, if you're happy with the Meier Classic, maybe it's not worth the extra $ for more Lyr tubes. Could be the Meier outperforms the Lyr even with holy grail tubes, which the OG's are not. Sorry-this isn't the right thread for this.

Yes, I have Orange Globes & have ordered Bugle Boys. Which tubes do you recommend to get the best out of HE 500 ?

edit:

saw your recommendations in the post above.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #11,722 of 20,386
Yes, I have Orange Globes & have ordered Bugle Boys. Which tubes do you recommend to get the best out of HE 500 ?

edit:

saw your recommendations in the post above.

I have 59 Bugle Boy D-getters and I love them with the HE-500. I much prefer them to OGs. I don't thing you will find a better tube than 58-59 D getters without spending the big bucks. Mercedesman sells them for $150 when he has them.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #11,723 of 20,386
  I had indents in my velour pads as well, although they were not as large as yours. They came out in a few days.
I find that most of the microphonics are in the run between where the cable splits and to where they attach to the earcups.

I was thinking of covering that section with some sort of soft sleeving...

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #11,724 of 20,386
I have indents in my pads on my new HE-500 as well. They haven't disappeared, it has been a week now. But it's better.

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #11,725 of 20,386
I have 59 Bugle Boy D-getters and I love them with the HE-500. I much prefer them to OGs. I don't thing you will find a better tube than 58-59 D getters without spending the big bucks. Mercedesman sells them for $150 when he has them.

Hate to say "told you"...lol
smile.gif

IMO, the late '50s Bugle Boy D-getters have a great airiness which really opens up the HE500 soundstage nicely. Great synergy and yes, they are a bargain at $150.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #11,726 of 20,386
Loving the HE-500s...if they get better with some burn-in bring it on! I find them so much easier to listen to than the HD-800s...I must have very sensitive ears to certain frequencies...I am not clenching my jaw at all when I listen to these.

I have swapped to the velour pads which I find more comfy...soundwise they seem pretty much the same as the leather ones.

One thing I have changed is the cable. I used a Zy-cable from my HD-650s and using the spare supplied connectors have made up a cable for the HE-500s.
It is made from single crystal four-core twisted-pair copper (6N)
No more microphonics compared to the stock silver cable and easier to use . Sounds somewhat mellower but as detailed...time will tell.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #11,727 of 20,386
  Loving the HE-500s...if they get better with some burn-in bring it on! I find them so much easier to listen to than the HD-800s...I must have very sensitive ears to certain frequencies...I am not clenching my jaw at all when I listen to these.

I have swapped to the velour pads which I find more comfy...soundwise they seem pretty much the same as the leather ones.

One thing I have changed is the cable. I used a Zy-cable from my HD-650s and using the spare supplied connectors have made up a cable for the HE-500s.
It is made from single crystal four-core twisted-pair copper (6N)
No more microphonics compared to the stock silver cable and easier to use . Sounds somewhat mellower but as detailed...time will tell.

Chances are whatever differences you hear will be due to the placebo effect. Good idea, it's probably not as stiff either. I might do something similar. I bet you light speaker wire and sleeving would work just fine.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #11,728 of 20,386
  Chances are whatever differences you hear will be due to the placebo effect. Good idea, it's probably not as stiff either. I might do something similar. I bet you light speaker wire and sleeving would work just fine.

I fully agree on the placebo effect...I have yet to hear mind blowing differences between cables...

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #11,729 of 20,386

I fully agree on the placebo effect...I have yet to hear mind blowing differences between cables...

I don't believe in cables that much either. I mean, it has yet to be proved. I'm more a scientific kind of guy. However I do love the placebo effect. Just got the Forza Audioworks Hybrid HPC and it feels like the HE-500 has been reborn. It really hasn't, it's just my mind playing tricks on me. Still.. I love it 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back