HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 1, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #11,581 of 20,374
Yes, no one knows, I'm asking what people think.

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #11,583 of 20,374
  Actually from what I understand the big flagship project for Fang , and the big "hush hush" secret from CES is the Jade 2 electrostat. That's not to say that the HE-6 won't undergo a major revision.

What happened to the Jade1?
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #11,585 of 20,374
  What happened to the Jade1?
biggrin.gif

the ones who have one keep it locked away for life...and wont ever ever sell their model...it was the first model mr. fang ever made...back then his company was called HE audio if i am not mistaken..so the jade was labeled 'HE audio Jade'.

this phone back then was considered one of the best phones ever made! and some even consider it like that..no matter what it shortcomings were....

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #11,586 of 20,374
I have a feeling the Jade 2 is going to be huge. Here's to hoping for a SR-009 competitor.

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #11,587 of 20,374
Well, some jades were good, some weren't, so goes the saying. Substantial inconsistencies

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #11,588 of 20,374
Finally getting to spend some time with the HE-500's this weekend. I have got to say, wow the stock cable it comes with is garbage! Too stiff and has terrible microphonics. You can head every rub and slight tap to the wire. Strain relief on the TRS connector is so long it looks funny and its made of some cheap feeling material. Of course its too long too, but it seems most high end headphones these days come with too long cables. But seriously, dont they try and get $70 for this cable?! Needless to say Ill be making a new cable ASAP!

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #11,589 of 20,374
Well, some jades were good, some weren't, so goes the saying. Substantial inconsistencies

Stax had same problems with their first models..and it was mr. Fangs first hooray into headphone world...he has learned a lot ever since..just like stax did :D

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #11,590 of 20,374
I am positive he has.. But there's no doubt it is very hard to produce consistent sounding stats as the margins are very small and stretching the mylar diaphragm just right is probably also very hard to do consistently..

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #11,591 of 20,374
I am positive he has.. But there's no doubt it is very hard to produce consistent sounding stats as the margins are very small and stretching the mylar diaphragm just right is probably also very hard to do consistently..

If stax can do it..well...u know what i will say next :wink:

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #11,592 of 20,374
  Actually the Q701 Pads might be in the cards. You say there's more room inside for my ears?

OK, Stan the Man, I did the comparisons.  It was pretty quick in the end, and there's only one conclusion:

The Q701 pads make the stock velours seem like a Home Ec. project from 1982.  Not only is there a lot more room, but they don't itch like burlap that's been soaking in the Atlantic for the past three months.  My homemade jerg pads are about the same.  NOTHING against jerg and modulor for all their work, but they were trying to tweak the sound, not the comfort level.

NB: it's pretty damn warm in the Old Dominion today.

Sonically, it's also a different ballgame, but I will qualify this as being subjective, and what my ears prefer.  The stock velours have more treble energy.  I can't compare to the stock pleathers, but IIRC, that's what a lot of people say about the burlaps velours compared to the pleathers.  That might make the stock seem a little airier.  There's certainly not a lot of low end energy getting in the way.  The jerg pads definitely improve the sound, esp. the bass.  There's still plenty of high end going on, esp. when compared to the Q701 pads.  The latter seem to tame it a bit, but in the perfect measure for my ears.  I feel more bass presence/impact with the Q701 pads.  Do the Q701 pads make the sound warmer and the soundstage more intimate?  Perhaps, but I wouldn't say to HD 650 levels, or feeling claustrophobic.  And perhaps that's what I was looking for.  Perhaps my brain has been trained to like that sound now.  FWIW, I hadn't been listening to the HE-500s much in the past week, as I've been testing something on the Q701s.  Certainly my head has been trained to flove these pads.  I'm done with that hunt.

For $35 shipped it seems like a no-brainer to me to try the Q701 pads.

Hope that helps.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #11,593 of 20,374
OK, Stan the Man, I did the comparisons.  It was pretty quick in the end, and there's only one conclusion:

The Q701 pads make the stock velours seem like a Home Ec. project from 1982.  Not only is there a lot more room, but they don't itch like burlap that's been soaking in the Atlantic for the past three months.  My homemade jerg pads are about the same.  NOTHING against jerg and modulor for all their work, but they were trying to tweak the sound, not the comfort level.

NB: it's pretty damn warm in the Old Dominion today.

Sonically, it's also a different ballgame, but I will qualify this as being subjective, and what my ears prefer.  The stock velours have more treble energy.  I can't compare to the stock pleathers, but IIRC, that's what a lot of people say about the burlaps velours compared to the pleathers.  That might make the stock seem a little airier.  There's certainly not a lot of low end energy getting in the way.  The jerg pads definitely improve the sound, esp. the bass.  There's still plenty of high end going on, esp. when compared to the Q701 pads.  The latter seem to tame it a bit, but in the perfect measure for my ears.  I feel more bass presence/impact with the Q701 pads.  Do the Q701 pads make the sound warmer and the soundstage more intimate?  Perhaps, but I wouldn't say to HD 650 levels, or feeling claustrophobic.  And perhaps that's what I was looking for.  Perhaps my brain has been trained to like that sound now.  FWIW, I hadn't been listening to the HE-500s much in the past week, as I've been testing something on the Q701s.  Certainly my head has been trained to flove these pads.  I'm done with that hunt.

For $35 shipped it seems like a no-brainer to me to try the Q701 pads.

Hope that helps.

Any pics of the final product??:)

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #11,594 of 20,374
Any pics of the final product??
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry, didn't take any, but mostly because it wasn't worth it.  If you've seen the HFM mounting rings, just imagine them taped to the Q701 pads.  It's a dead simple mod to do.  If you want to secure them better with the double-stick adhesives (guess that helps with the seal), and do the back vent mod, see modulor's guide.  Plenty of pix of those steps in his process (towards the end, as they are optional).

Feb 2, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #11,595 of 20,374

Hello,

maybe someone can me help out with this little problem. i have to screw down this front left bolt which i marked with the arrow at least twice a day.
if this continues to be the case i surely can look how i replace this screw with a new one in near future. appearently it gets loose when i put them on and off my head.
is there a possibilty to slow down the process?

i hope someone has an advice.

Note: This is not my Photo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back