HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 16, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #11,026 of 20,374
  I just got me a pair of Hifiman HE500, and coming from a pair of modified t50rp's my first impressions are the treble's a little shrill, and somewhat overpowers the rest of the frequency range, actually it's pretty annoying, will this change after burn in? But I have to say on a good note, the bass is really well textured; well layered is a better word. I would praise the mids, if it weren't for the shrillness of the treble. I could say the treble's a little too sparkly; a dip at 5000-6000 hz decreases the intimacy of the treble making the vocals sound very smooth and very unaggressive, and a peak at 10k boost overall resolution but makes everything sound thin and grainy.I guess Fang Bian  was trying to aim for a more resolute and natural sound; and it would've succeeded if not for the the major boost at 10K. Please tell these cans get smoother with burn in, I've got about 20 hours on them so far.

Oh they definitely get better with either burn-in or brain-burn-in, whichever it is. But definitely mention the amp you're using, as shrill highs are generally noted with inadequate amping AFAIK

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #11,027 of 20,374
  I just got me a pair of Hifiman HE500, and coming from a pair of modified t50rp's my first impressions are the treble's a little shrill, and somewhat overpowers the rest of the frequency range, actually it's pretty annoying, will this change after burn in? But I have to say on a good note, the bass is really well textured; well layered is a better word. I would praise the mids, if it weren't for the shrillness of the treble. I could say the treble's a little too sparkly; a dip at 5000-6000 hz decreases the intimacy of the treble making the vocals sound very smooth and very unaggressive, and a peak at 10k boost overall resolution but makes everything sound thin and grainy.I guess Fang Bian  was trying to aim for a more resolute and natural sound; and it would've succeeded if not for the the major boost at 10K. Please tell these cans get smoother with burn in, I've got about 20 hours on them so far.

FWIW, the "manual" that came with my HE-500s says burn them in for 150 hours.  For me, that helped.  I was less than impressed when I first heard them.  Love 'em now 
darthsmile.gif

With what are you amping them?

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #11,028 of 20,374

Who performed the mods on the T50rp?
What amplifier do you have?

In some cases if the HE-500 (and worse the HE-6) don't get enough juice they can sound very harsh up top. So, it could be you're underpowering the HE-500 (which is somewhat unlikely). Also it could be the T50rp you have are dark and are very recessed in the treble, and your ears are "burning in" to the new sound. Give them some head time and enjoy! 

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #11,029 of 20,374
For better/faster and more affective burn in, HPs must be worn by listener at high volume 24/7 for 1 full week. 
biggrin.gif

Disclaimer: your experience may vary...

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #11,030 of 20,374
I'm using an Jds Labs O2 amp, and I'm sure it's not powerful enough, Crazy right? But that's all can can afford as of right now. For the mods that I did on my t50rp , I basically followed BMF first version of the latest mod (forgot the name) with pad stackings, really nice mod btw. In the near future I'm thinking of getting a garage 1217 sunrise or ember, what do you guys suggest?

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #11,031 of 20,374
  I'm using an Jds Labs O2 amp, and I'm sure it's not powerful enough, Crazy right? But that's all can can afford as of right now. For the mods that I did on my t50rp , I basically followed BMF first version of the latest mod (forgot the name) with pad stackings, really nice mod btw. In the near future I'm thinking of getting a garage 1217 sunrise or ember, what do you guys suggest?

Easiest physical way to tame the 10khz hump somewhat is to swap to the pleather earpads that Hifiman sells. However the only measurably proven method to largely negate the hump is my earpad mod.

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #11,032 of 20,374
  Easiest physical way to tame the 10khz hump somewhat is to swap to the pleather earpads that Hifiman sells. However the only measurably proven method to largely negate the hump is my earpad mod.

I was reading that thread the other day, I thought it was really interesting. I could imagine how you came up with the idea (those velour pads are way too stiff), I really like the softness of the pleather pads but they make the He500 sound really depressing. I'll make sure to try it out soon, thanks.

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #11,033 of 20,374

You guys thinking what I'm thinking? Another potential convert to the Emotiva?

Should you decide to take the red pill: http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #11,034 of 20,374

Which have you been using? HiFiMan makes a pleather, leather, and velour pad.

Not the question-asker here, but I've looked at the earpad thread and my head was spinning...  For my head, the velour and the pleather pads are not that comfortable as my ear kind of gets jammed in the stock openings.  I would love to know which oval pad or pad similar to the Alpha Dog pads (my Mad Dogs have them and I LOVE the way they feel on my ears) that don't affect the sound that much, fit reasonably well on the stock rings, and don't affect the sound much are the "consensus" third-part retrofits for the HE-500s.  I prefer the sound of my HE-500s for sure over my Mad Dogs, but it's hard to wear the HEs after taking the Mad Dogs off...  I was looking at the Lawton Audio or the Audeze Vegans or LCD2 leathers, but for that kind of coin, I'd like to hear a few more thoughts on how those sound, etc...

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #11,037 of 20,374
Hi all, did anyone have broken I rings on their he500? (The rings at the ear up hinge, beneath the screws) I found mine all break and one even fell off after 5 months of usage.

O.o pics pls

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #11,038 of 20,374
Hi all, did anyone have broken I rings on their he500? (The rings at the ear up hinge, beneath the screws) I found mine all break and one even fell off after 5 months of usage.

sorry to hear about yours but mine is still flawless like the day I bought got it.  Did u buy new?

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #11,039 of 20,374
I'm sure he can contact Hifiman and ask them for the part...I'm sure it'll only cost him a couple bucks lol, mainly paying for shipping

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #11,040 of 20,374
sorry to hear about yours but mine is still flawless like the day I bought got it.  Did u buy new?

I did buy new and it's a small issue, maybe due to hot humid climate here in Hong Kong that cracks the rubber rings, small issue though and I think since the curvier metal part is like a spring stretching outward, so the earcup won't wobble without the damping of the oring between the ear cup and the screw though

For pictures I will take it later tonight when I went home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back