HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 15, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #11,011 of 20,386
I will be getting the HE-560 so will be able to compare and expound on. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #11,012 of 20,386
  I will be getting the HE-560 so will be able to compare and expound on. 

Sooner than the general public I'm assuming? If Fang chose you then that's a VERY GOOD choice.
popcorn.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #11,013 of 20,386
@hifimanrookie, love your Code-X headphones, they look fantastic and I hope they sound that way too. If Hifiman could release headphones that looked like that, then they'll certainly gain lots more fans.

I'm having a tough time to get over the "new is better" mentality that seems to have taken over the world. We seem to have developed an incredible obsession with new stuff, which I guess we can thank the gadget world for.. I can give endless of examples of classic sports cars that still give a lot of newer cars a proper run for their money, because they were designed right and then there are special modded versions of classic cars which are simply awesome from the original.

Headphones have more in common with sports cars than smartphones and tablets. People should evaluate and judge products on their merits, for what they are. The HE-500 for example is an exceptional phone at $700 and it will remain so, they don't have to drop the price. Just because Hifiman is releasing the HE-560 doesn't diminish their value in any way or make them obsolete, it will be a different headphone to be evaluated on its own merits, of course it will be compared, but there will be fans of both. The Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 continue to be great headphones in the same vein. The same holds true for the HE-5, just because the HE-6 was released doesn't make the HE-5 obsolete, it has its own identity and as shown with the Code-X it can be modded to very high standards and doesn't imply the Code X is just another HE-6.

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #11,014 of 20,386
  @hifimanrookie, love your Code-X headphones, they look fantastic and I hope they sound that way too. If Hifiman could release headphones that looked like that, then they'll certainly gain lots more fans.

I'm having a tough time to get over the "new is better" mentality that seems to have taken over the world. We seem to have developed an incredible obsession with new stuff, which I guess we can thank the gadget world for.. I can give endless of examples of classic sports cars that still give a lot of newer cars a proper run for their money, because they were designed right and then there are special modded versions of classic cars which are simply awesome from the original.

Headphones have more in common with sports cars than smartphones and tablets. People should evaluate and judge products on their merits, for what they are. The HE-500 for example is an exceptional phone at $700 and it will remain so, they don't have to drop the price. Just because Hifiman is releasing the HE-560 doesn't diminish their value in any way or make them obsolete, it will be a different headphone to be evaluated on its own merits. The Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 continue to be great headphones in the same vein. The same holds true for the HE-5, just because the HE-6 was released doesn't make the HE-5 obsolete, it has its own identity and as shown with the Code-X it can be modded to very high standards.

+100000
Though I'm curious as to how the Code-X stands in the Hifiman line

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #11,019 of 20,386
I would be curious to know if somebody has tried violectric V200 vs Lyr with good tubes (like siemens E288cc etc..) ? I can't make my mind.
Both of them will be fed by the schiit modi until I save some money for the dac (so unbalanced for the v200 at the beginning) .

P.s:  LF339 was also on my list but doesn't seem very reliable and I don't want to wait months for it to be repair if necessary..

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #11,020 of 20,386
I haven't heard either, but I would think that the V200 would sound more transparent and have better prat. Some tube hybrids can sound a bit muddy. The V200 also works well with a multitude of other headphones, so if you have the budget I'd for it. The Lyr seems more in the V100 or Lake People G109 class. Interestingly in the V200 thread a lot of folks claimed the HE-500 was a better match with the last two compared to the V200. The LF339 with upgraded tubes could also sound pretty awesome. It could get you into Woo Audio territory for significantly less money.

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #11,021 of 20,386
The LF339 with upgraded tubes could also sound pretty awesome. It could get you into Woo Audio territory for significantly less money.

I agree totally with this statement..being an owner of his sibling, the 337, for almost 2years of intense daily use with my he500 i fully confim with that..But do invest in the right tubes! And that last point can get to a very expensive point.. :wink:
And about that but muddy sound on hybrids..i found that too..but i understand u can solve that with the right tubes :D

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #11,022 of 20,386
I agree totally with this statement..being an owner of his sibling, the 337, for almost 2years of intense daily use with my he500 i fully confim with that..But do invest in the right tubes! And that last point can get to a very expensive point..
wink.gif

And about that but muddy sound on hybrids..i found that too..but i understand u can solve that with the right tubes
biggrin.gif

The 339 looks damn good 
biggrin.gif

Since you've read the 337/339 thread do you know what happens in case I need to repair it ? If I find a shop which can repair it , they refund ?
And the 339 doesn't seem to perform so good with others cans .. (maybe I'll get the successor of HE-6 in the future or an audeze..)

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #11,023 of 20,386
  I haven't heard either, but I would think that the V200 would sound more transparent and have better prat. Some tube hybrids can sound a bit muddy. The V200 also works well with a multitude of other headphones, so if you have the budget I'd for it. The Lyr seems more in the V100 or Lake People G109 class. Interestingly in the V200 thread a lot of folks claimed the HE-500 was a better match with the last two compared to the V200. The LF339 with upgraded tubes could also sound pretty awesome. It could get you into Woo Audio territory for significantly less money.

Which is the V200 thread you mention above with a lot of folks claiming the HE-500 was a better match with V100 and G109 ?

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #11,024 of 20,386
The 339 looks damn good :D
Since you've read the 337/339 thread do you know what happens in case I need to repair it ? If I find a shop which can repair it , they refund ?
And the 339 doesn't seem to perform so good with others cans .. (maybe I'll get the successor of HE-6 in the future or an audeze..)

I know those threads from head..was a regular poster there..and to be honest..i agree that if u have a problem..then u have a problem... But thats same case with almost all non european tube amps... If u have a good one (as many of us have!!! I dont know where u get that idea that the 339 and 337 are so faulty..the other brands are just as faulty) then it gives no problems..i had mine without any faults! And from what i know..if the problem is extreme then they just sent u a replacement model.

And i agree..the 337 that i had only sounded good on sennheisers, beyers, grados and hifiman stuff (except for the he6 ofcourse).. But when he had the right phone..HE DID SOUND EXTREMELY GOOD.
And to be honest..i didnt come across any amp who is good with every phone..thats impossible...its always a balance
And if u do want to upgrade to a HE6.. Then i doubt any headphone amp based on tubes will be able to drive it..better get a good Tube speakeramp like a cary SLI 80 tubeamp.. :wink:

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #11,025 of 20,386
I just got me a pair of Hifiman HE500, and coming from a pair of modified t50rp's my first impressions are the treble's a little shrill, and somewhat overpowers the rest of the frequency range, actually it's pretty annoying, will this change after burn in? But I have to say on a good note, the bass is really well textured; well layered is a better word. I would praise the mids, if it weren't for the shrillness of the treble. I could say the treble's a little too sparkly; a dip at 5000-6000 hz decreases the intimacy of the treble making the vocals sound very smooth and very unaggressive, and a peak at 10k boost overall resolution but makes everything sound thin and grainy.I guess Fang Bian  was trying to aim for a more resolute and natural sound; and it would've succeeded if not for the the major boost at 10K. Please tell these cans get smoother with burn in, I've got about 20 hours on them so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back