HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 10, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #10,951 of 20,374
One reason I find the HE-500 fatiguing - It sounds best loud.

I never listened to my he500 loudly...when off my head u for sure couldnt hear the music in another room... I am guessing its all about the amp who drives it..i never ever had the volume past 22:00 on my 337.. And i listened to classical music also with those very low hard to hear very softly played instruments..playing sensitive parts..i could hear all..didnt need to put the volume up...
But as i said many times..my hearing is probably very good if u all need blasting loud volumes to get a decent sound.

to be honest...i think its more about ur hearing ability (or disability) then the headphone/amp itself imho ofcourse..when i walk into a trainstation its almost like i walk into a disco when i see young ones not older then 15 years old having beats? playing so loud it must be brain damaging...i am guessing when older they for sure will have damaged hearing.. And so need multi of watts to get a decent sound from their rig. ..but hey..am no ear doctor.. :wink: but am guessing emotiva and the likes will come up with an even more powerful affordable amp when the youngsters will get our age :D

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #10,952 of 20,374
It seems I'll get a new HE-500 from the distributor in Germany (sieveking sound). Am not sure whether it costs me anything (besides paying for delivery). We'll see, I am excited. 

Quote:

One reason I find the HE-500 fatiguing - It sounds best loud.

I never listened to my he500 loudly...when off my head u for sure couldnt hear the music in another room... I am guessing its all about the amp who drives it..i never ever had the volume past 22:00 on my 337.. And i listened to classical music also with those very low hard to hear very softly played instruments..playing sensitive parts..i could hear all..didnt need to put the volume up...
But as i said many times..my hearing is probably very good if u all need blasting loud volumes to get a decent sound.

to be honest...i think its more about ur hearing ability (or disability) then the headphone/amp itself imho ofcourse..when i walk into a trainstation its almost like i walk into a disco when i see young ones not older then 15 years old having beats? playing so loud it must be brain damaging...i am guessing when older they for sure will have damaged hearing.. And so need multi of watts to get a decent sound from their rig. ..but hey..am no ear doctor.. 
wink.gif
 but am guessing emotiva and the likes will come up with an even more powerful affordable amp when the youngsters will get our age 
biggrin.gif

Loud is relative from person to person.. and we don't really have many ways of describing how loud we listen, lol. 
I know my hearing isn't anything special, probably quite average it seems. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #10,953 of 20,374
  It seems I'll get a new HE-500 from the distributor in Germany (sieveking sound). Am not sure whether it costs me anything (besides paying for delivery). We'll see, I am excited. 

Loud is relative from person to person.. and we don't really have many ways of describing how loud we listen, lol. 

beerchug.gif

I adjust volume depending on what genre I am listening to.  No 1 universal volume setting.

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #10,954 of 20,374

Which is why I bought an SPL meter to measure it.  I want to protect what hearing I have left as much as possible. I got the idea on the forums:  use a CD to cover the the ear cup (to allow pressurization that is similar to what would exist while wearing the headphones, place the SPL meter mic through the hole and measure.  I find that what sounds "good" to my ears is 80-85 dB using this meter in fast mode, C-weighted.  It only samples a few times/second, so I let the mic measure about 30 seconds during louder passages to approximate what peak SPL my ears are likely getting.

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #10,955 of 20,374
  Which is why I bought an SPL meter to measure it.  I want to protect what hearing I have left as much as possible. I got the idea on the forums:  use a CD to cover the the ear cup (to allow pressurization that is similar to what would exist while wearing the headphones, place the SPL meter mic through the hole and measure.  I find that what sounds "good" to my ears is 80-85 dB using this meter in fast mode, C-weighted.  It only samples a few times/second, so I let the mic measure about 30 seconds during louder passages to approximate what peak SPL my ears are likely getting.

which SPL meter are you using?  please recommend.  Thx.

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #10,957 of 20,374
I've used electrician's tape to build up some diameter on the meter's mic and use that to make a better seal with the CD hole.  dB measurements only go up a 1-3 dB using this method.  Without the CD there to enable pressurization, they drop by 8-10 dB or so.  You want to make the measurement with pressurization...

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #10,958 of 20,374
Update about my amp FOR THE ONES interested..the finish date is much later now..but it will be better with no extra costs :D. :

Quote:

I am working on the power supply right now again and I have came up with a couple of new ideas so I am doing some experiment. It may mean some delay but I think it's worth it. It will not be a long delay like 6 months but it won't be next week either so bear with me a little longer. I will keep you inform of the process.

Endquote:

I am wondering what he is experimenting on whats so new? His ideas can be rather crazy! He even made an power amp in two pumps! Yep shoes! And did u see his amp or dac put inside a pvc tube to keep costs down?

So i am guessing: Powered by a pacemaker? Wind energy?Cooled by synthetic blood? Powered by our own earth rotation or gravity? A big V8? With him u never know.. :D

Oh well..only thing to do is to wait..have been waiting since june already so a few more weeks/months wont kill me i guess.. But in that case i need to find myself a temperarely Amp to burn-in the code-x'es who just made it through usps ISC customs i saw on the track info, so they will be here soon :wink:

So in short..dont expect me to write any review soon about my amp... :wink:

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #10,959 of 20,374
How come no one has  suggested the emo wit da big blue circle?

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #10,960 of 20,374
How come no one has  suggested the emo wit da big blue circle?

To be honest..a emotiva is expensive if u get it from the states to the netherlands with all the HIGH customfees, taxes and postage..as a temperarely solution...and i need a new cable as well! Decisions dicisions.. :D

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #10,961 of 20,374
I know... Ended up paying 350$ for that emo. Hope I don't regret it

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #10,962 of 20,374
No, it will be worthwhile even at that price. Mine worked out slightly more as shipping to Africa is pretty expensive and our exchange took a 20% dive last year. In Europe I think the Lake People G109 headamps are better value for money and they work well with almost any headphone.

Rookie, honestly they should hurry with your amp. You've been waiting a good couple of months already for it.. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #10,963 of 20,374
No, it will be worthwhile even at that price. Mine worked out slightly more as shipping to Africa is pretty expensive and our exchange took a 20% dive last year. In Europe I think the Lake People G109 headamps are better value for money and they work well with almost any headphone.

Rookie, honestly they should hurry with your amp. You've been waiting a good couple of months already for it.. 

Thanks for the tip aboutbthe lake people amp..

About the waiting...almost 7months now....but i told them in the beginning i want the best my money can buy..no matter the waiting period...and thats whats they are doing...making the best amp for the budget i gave them and more..they improve on the way while building...thats innovation and dedication! They didnt need to do that..they could built the amp as agreed back in june..with the powersupply in a PVC tube and completely standard black..as most of the amp builders do... But am glad they are different! :wink: and best of all..i dont need to pay any more cent extra!
Only one problem..with every improvement the amp gets heavier..so in theory it does get more expensive as postage from canada to the netherlands for a heavy package is not something to sniff about :D

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #10,964 of 20,374
Jan 11, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #10,965 of 20,374

you haven't received it yet?

That is rather strange. Mine arrived the southern tip of Africa within 4 days (2,5 days if you consider time differences and that it was stuck a day with customs and couriers here). Its by far the quickest shipping service I've seen by an overseas company. They really got a well drilled team there at Emotiva.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back