HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 21, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #9,961 of 20,386
DOWNLOAD THIS RIGHT NOW. SERIOUSLY.

http://mxpwr.bandcamp.com/

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #9,962 of 20,386
as much as i love the WA2, unfortunately it cannot drive the HE-500, like at all

my Glenn OTL amp could, and the WA22 had no problems as well. the HE-500 unfortunately couldn't get loud enough for me on the WA2. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #9,963 of 20,386
Can anyone here that has the hrt ms2 let me know how it works with the he500 and emotiva? Thanks

I briefly heard the MS2 with a Rotel amp in comparison to a Dragonfly and thought the Dragonfly was nicer sounding, the MS2 can sound a touch grainy, but that is a good price for the MS2 though, so might be worth a shot. I think the MS2+ would be a better option with the Mini-X. The Dragonfly with the Mini-X is a bit of a rollicking setup (too much bass and fun) and with busy congested music the Dragonfly trips over a touch which is quite noticeable with the Mini-X.

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #9,964 of 20,386
I briefly heard the MS2 with a Rotel amp in comparison to a Dragonfly and thought the Dragonfly was nicer sounding, the MS2 can sound a touch grainy, but that is a good price for the MS2 though, so might be worth a shot. I think the MS2+ would be a better option with the Mini-X. The Dragonfly with the Mini-X is a bit of a rollicking setup (too much bass and fun) and with busy congested music the Dragonfly trips over a touch which is quite noticeable with the Mini-X.
Can you explain grainy in your own definition?

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #9,965 of 20,386
Dec 21, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #9,966 of 20,386
Can you explain grainy in your own definition?

The most direct comparison is listening to the Sennheiser's HD595 treble. The way to describe it would be like having a compact camera and having noise in the picture at ISO100. The Dragonfly would be like having no noise at ISO100, but all pictures are taken on an oversaturated picture setting. Next time I'll describe it on the basis of different Cherry MX keys used in mechanical keyboards, but that would be just plain weird! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #9,967 of 20,386
The most direct comparison is listening to the Sennheiser's HD595 treble. The way to describe it would be like having a compact camera and having noise in the picture at ISO100. The Dragonfly would be like having no noise at ISO100, but all pictures are taken on an oversaturated picture setting. Next time I'll describe it on the basis of different Cherry MX keys used in mechanical keyboards, but that would be just plain weird! :D
yeah, I feel like I know what you mean because I briefly had the dt880s and they had tons of grainy sound. I just hope the ms2 won't let me down. I hope I won't regret getting it.

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #9,968 of 20,386
Grainy is kinda hard to explain IMO. It is not the opposite of smooth, yet something with grainy sound will never sound smooth. It is by no means the sound of peaky fr. Nor can it be compared with a smeared sound. What is grainy actaully in technical terms? When I think grainy, I mostly think about the treble lacking detail, yet not because it's veiled or anything. IMO grainy refers to details being accentuated, yet lacking resolution and micro-dynamics.

For a subjective definition I tend to think about the sound being like very small chunks instead of being a whole, smooth and extended sound when I think grainy.  

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #9,969 of 20,386
I think the Asus Essence STX was actually a bit worse, but there I think the grain is more noticeable due to the combination of a highly resolving DAC mixed with a switching power supply. The switching noise of the PSU was definitely noticeable in the sound as grain there. Probably the same issue with the MS2 and its USB filtering. The Asus Essence STX is still the DAC I had for the longest period.

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #9,970 of 20,386
Describing grainy sound is difficult. It really isn't until you hear grain free sound for yourself that you begin to know what grainy sound is. Once the grain is gone, the light bulb comes on and the a-ha moment is experienced. "So that's what they mean."

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #9,972 of 20,386
HE-500 driven by Kenwood VR-6060 = pure suck  
wink.gif

Since my Lyr won't be back until the 26th now, I decided to compare the HE-500 with the following combos:

Laptop -> Sabre U2+isolator -> JDS Labs C5 -> Grado 6.35mm-to-3.5mm adapter -> cans

PC -> M-Audio Delta AP192 -> Coax -> Kenwood -> Grado extension cable (and not) -> cans

PC -> Sabre U2+isolator -> Monoprice Premium 3.5mm-to-RCA -> Kenwood AUX In -> Grado extension cable (and not) -> cans

PC -> Amazon USB extension cable -> Sabre U2+isolator -> AudioQuest Golden Gate 3.5mm-to-RCA -> Kenwood AUX In -> Grado extension cable (and not) -> cans

The C5 is a fine little amp 
smile.gif
  The M-Audio's DAC lacks some definition, but at least the HE-500s driven by the Kenwood didn't sound like total crap going that route.  While there's nothing wrong with the Sabre U2 DAC (I love that li'l thing), using it with the Kenwood sounded like a big muddy mess.  The imaging was horrible, with a lead vocal that should have been dead center in my head, seeming like it was coming from the left a bit, and as if the singer were below me, or at least below where he's normally presented.  It was bizarre.  I blame the Kenwood, not that I had great expectations for it.  The Grado extension cable made no difference, in the chain or not.  The interconnects did make a difference, but neither could rescue the experiment.

So I see why people chase down vintage amps or go the Emotiva route.  Me, I just want my freakin' Lyr back.

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #9,973 of 20,386
No problem :smile:   If you get them, post some impressions.  What pads do you use on your HE-500s now?  Stock, jergpad mod, something else?

I don't actually have HE-500s (yet). I have HE-400s with the Jergpad mod. I am thinking about moving to the 500s when I can swing it. These days I listen mostly to techno and experimental electronic but I'm not crazy about the 400s matched with my Audio-GD NFB-10ES2 - I think it's a little too analytical and fatiquing. Speaking of, does anyone have thoughts about the HE-500s (balanced) with the NFB-10ES2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back