HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #9,976 of 20,386
I just pulled the trigger on a pair of HE-500's, should be here on Monday. Just one more set of cans, the pile is setting high, I was looking at the Sennheiser HD800's as I already have a pair of HD600's, my favorites. I decided to try a different technology and since I like extended bass, I think these will make me very happy, although I may have to get used to wearing a brick on top of my head
eek.gif

How would you guys compare the sound profile of the HE-500's to the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 cans? Describe the differences in terms of bass, mids and treble.

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #9,977 of 20,386
The HD800 vs HE-500 thread is really upsetting me, ahahaha.

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #9,979 of 20,386
Dec 21, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #9,981 of 20,386
  I take it that it means you haven't listened to all three either?

I've listneed to all three. I'm listenting to both the HE-500 and the HD800 as we speak. And I've heard both the HE-500 and th HE-6 together off the Stingray's speaker taps, so I know what they sound like when at their "supposed" best. 
tongue.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #9,982 of 20,386
  I just pulled the trigger on a pair of HE-500's, should be here on Monday. Just one more set of cans, the pile is setting high, I was looking at the Sennheiser HD800's as I already have a pair of HD600's, my favorites. I decided to try a different technology and since I like extended bass, I think these will make me very happy, although I may have to get used to wearing a brick on top of my head
eek.gif

How would you guys compare the sound profile of the HE-500's to the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 cans? Describe the differences in terms of bass, mids and treble.

The HE-500 give you warm bass, denser midbass, but not--IMHO--the extended bass of either the HE-5LE or the HE-6.

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #9,983 of 20,386
  I take it that it means you haven't listened to all three either?

Yes, I have! on good amps including my WA22 at home.

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #9,984 of 20,386
  The HE-500 give you warm bass, denser midbass, but not--IMHO--the extended bass of either the HE-5LE or the HE-6.

how low is extended?  30hz is low enough?  If yes, both are about the same with the HE-6 a very tiny touch tighter signature at that frequency.

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #9,985 of 20,386
Page 666 gj guys

Edit: I'm too late...it's page 667

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #9,986 of 20,386
Hey guys, I asked about, "How would you guys compare the sound profile of the HE-500's to the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 cans? Describe the differences in terms of bass, mids and treble." Not about comparing to the HE-6 or HD800. I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of my HE-500 on Monday, so help me out here, if you can. Otherwise I can compare it with my own HD600 on my own on Monday. 
wink_face.gif
 So who's gonna do their civic duty and help out?

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #9,987 of 20,386
  Hey guys, I asked about, "How would you guys compare the sound profile of the HE-500's to the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 cans? Describe the differences in terms of bass, mids and treble." Not about comparing to the HE-6 or HD800. I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of my HE-500 on Monday, so help me out here, if you can. Otherwise I can compare it with my own HD600 on my own on Monday. 
wink_face.gif
 So who's gonna do their civic duty and help out?

I don't have either HD600 or HD650, so I can't help you there. I did spend a few hours with my friend's HD600 before I entered the audiophile world, so that's not worth anything. Since you've already ordered the HE-500 and it's coming in, I'd suggest you just do some comparisons yourself and report back your findings without others' opinions influencing you to look for something in the sound. When you read others' comparisons you start expecting something and pay closer attention to that over the whole sound, and it creates a positive feedback loop that just rehashes and blows out of proportion what someone else said. It's not as pristine a review as if you just got both headphones and went in without knowing anything about either.

Reading others' reviews is fine and giving your own take is encouraged because it helps people decide if it's something they would want if they can't demo it in person. But in your case, you have the opportunity to provide an uninfluenced review, which is very valuable. Looking forward to your impressions.
redface.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #9,988 of 20,386

I don't have either HD600 or HD650, so I can't help you there. I did spend a few hours with my friend's HD600 before I entered the audiophile world, so that's not worth anything. Since you've already ordered the HE-500 and it's coming in, I'd suggest you just do some comparisons yourself and report back your findings without others' opinions influencing you to look for something in the sound. When you read others' comparisons you start expecting something and pay closer attention to that over the whole sound, and it creates a positive feedback loop that just rehashes and blows out of proportion what someone else said. It's not as pristine a review as if you just got both headphones and went in without knowing anything about either.

I'm a good listener and am not influenced by preconception. I'm always curious about how others perceive sound. When I went to get my HD650's a read a lot of conflicting opinions between those and the HD600's and due to some of the hype figured to get the HD650's. I spent time comparing them with my own music, source and portable amp. I did not find it hard to hear the difference. I used to design complex audio equipment, had a stint as a musician and have a good ear for sound.

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #9,990 of 20,386
  ^ What are you planning to amp the HE-500 with by the way?

I have a few amps. I'll bet you the FiiO E12 portable which can put out 880 mW at 32 Ohms with an output impedance of less than 0.5 Ohms can do a fine job. It's distortion figures are very low. I also have an amp that I designed that can put out enough power to drive an HE-6. I have no interest in coloring the sound by using amps that generate even harmonic distortion to "add warmth or one that rolls off treble and so on. IMO there's a lot of fun myth about amping and many have a good time fooling around, hence the hobby aspect. The FR of the HE-500's look superb and shouldn't require being messed with.
IMO, the main factors are THD, IM, TIM, transient response, slew rate, drive power and damping/impedance. Most well designed SS amps produce distortions well below the human ability to perceive. Yes there are some amps that cannot deliver but there are far more that can do a superb job. IMO too many people are getting overexcited and letting that get to their ears. Mag Planars tend to be resistive which eliminates the problem of varying impedance found on many dynamic cans. The HE-500 should drive rather easily, just as Hifiman states. I can handle the 89 dB efficiency rating without getting nervous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back