HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 21, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #9,991 of 20,386
  I have a few amps. I'll bet you the FiiO E12 portable which can put out 880 mW at 32 Ohms with an output impedance of less than 0.5 Ohms can do a fine job. It's distortion figures are very low. I also have an amp that I designed that can put out enough power to drive an HE-6. I have no interest in coloring the sound by using amps that generate even harmonic distortion to "add warmth or one that rolls off treble and so on. IMO there's a lot of fun myth about amping and many have a good time fooling around, hence the hobby aspect. The FR of the HE-500's look superb and shouldn't require being messed with.
IMO, the main factors are THD, IM, TIM, transient response, slew rate, drive power and damping/impedance. Most well designed SS amps produce distortions well below the human ability to perceive. Yes there are some amps that cannot deliver but there are far more that can do a superb job. IMO too many people are getting overexcited and letting that get to their ears. Mag Planars tend to be resistive which eliminates the problem of varying impedance found on many dynamic cans. The HE-500 should drive rather easily, just as Hifiman states. I can handle the 89 dB efficiency rating without getting nervous.

If you have an amp that can drive the HE-6, then you should be fine. Tube amp distortion and warmth is a subjective thing, no doubt. Lack of power is not. I'm sure you're well aware of clipping. As for the frequency response being superb, I agree, though let me redirect your attention here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/646812/hifiman-he500-he400-jergpad-mod-v2-5-modulor-orders-updated-december

Mine should be coming in shortly.
redface.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #9,992 of 20,386

If you have an amp that can drive the HE-6, then you should be fine. Tube amp distortion and warmth is a subjective thing, no doubt. Lack of power is not. I'm sure you're well aware of clipping. As for the frequency response being superb, I agree, though let me redirect your attention here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/646812/hifiman-he500-he400-jergpad-mod-v2-5-modulor-orders-updated-december

Mine should be coming in shortly.
redface.gif

Even the 880 mW at 32 Ohms of the E12 should drive the HE-500's to ear splitting levels. 512 mW should bring it to 116 dB SPL. Since 110 db is the threshold of discomfort and 120 db is the threshold of pain. So the E12 should drive the HE-500's past the threshold of discomfort. Clipping will occur well past the comfort zone so the headroom should be more than ample.
The only tube distortion I crave for is when I crank up my guitar amp. 
eek.gif
 And then it's even order HD that I'm wanting.
I hope the jergpads work well for you. Part of the intangibles are the acoustic coupling between the cans and one's head, we are all shaped differently so that's something that is hard to generalize.

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #9,993 of 20,386
  Even the 880 mW at 32 Ohms of the E12 should drive the HE-500's to ear splitting levels. 512 mW should bring it to 116 dB SPL. Since 110 db is the threshold of discomfort and 120 db is the threshold of pain. So the E12 should drive the HE-500's past the threshold of discomfort. Clipping will occur well past the comfort zone so the headroom should be more than ample.
The only tube distortion I crave for is when I crank up my guitar amp. 
eek.gif
 And then it's even order HD that I'm wanting.
I hope the jergpads work well for you. Part of the intangibles are the acoustic coupling between the cans and one's head, we are all shaped differently so that's something that is hard to generalize.

I'm not technical enough on this subject to argue with you. I understand that yes, it will will be loud enough. I never got past the 3 o'clock mark on the WA7. But there's something more power does to the sound, and it's as clear as daylight, not something that could be there if I focused hard enough to listen for it. It mainly is perceived through the bass, as powered through the Emotiva, you get so much more bass slam and impact. It's a very different bass than bass heavy headphones. It's still neutral, but just has more feel and dimensionality to it. Probably mainly sub-bass related. In fact, it may not be power related at all, but more the signature of the Emotiva. People have said it does something the Lyr doesn't even do, even though the Lyr puts out 6W of power. I never heard it with the Lyr, so I can't comment on a comparison. Either way, psychoacoustics does not feed a thread nearly 3000 posts: http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project . There's definitely something going on with the sound.

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #9,996 of 20,386

I'm not technical enough on this subject to argue with you. I understand that yes, it will will be loud enough. I never got past the 3 o'clock mark on the WA7. But there's something more power does to the sound, and it's as clear as daylight, not something that could be there if I focused hard enough to listen for it. It mainly is perceived through the bass, as powered through the Emotiva, you get so much more bass slam and impact. It's a very different bass than bass heavy headphones. It's still neutral, but just has more feel and dimensionality to it. Probably mainly sub-bass related. In fact, it may not be power related at all, but more the signature of the Emotiva. People have said it does something the Lyr doesn't even do, even though the Lyr puts out 6W of power. I never heard it with the Lyr, so I can't comment on a comparison. Either way, psychoacoustics does not feed a thread nearly 3000 posts: http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project . There's definitely something going on with the sound.

By the numbers it could be mass hysteria. 
eek.gif
 Actually it's more than just the power specs that determine how an amp sounds. FR determines how the power might drop down as the bass extends down low or as one reaches high up into the upper regions of treble. Many manufacturers give THD distortion specs at 1 Khz not the curves that shows how all freqs are affected. Most will not give you IM or TIM figures. Between this and suggestion derived subjective listening one can never know what to expect. I suspect that most good amps really sound the same, tube or SS. There are tube amps that are deliberately designed to deliver even harmonic distortion, but that's another can of worms.
I think the Schitt Magi looks like a real steal.

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #9,997 of 20,386

+1, I have also heard many amps that is capable of driving the HE-500 ear splitting levels, the Lehmann Black Cube Linear included, but there is something at work with the Emotiva with the bass slam and impact its capable of which I haven't experienced with my other headphone amps.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #9,998 of 20,386
  My Martin Logan Mikros 90 go down to about 23 or 24Hz.  When I had a dedicated listening room, 20Hz was low enough.  : )

At that frequency, For speakers, I often let my sub do the hard work.  For HPs, specs always look very impressive though.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #9,999 of 20,386

+1, I have also heard many amps that is capable of driving the HE-500 ear splitting levels, the Lehmann Black Cube Linear included, but there is something at work with the Emotiva with the bass slam and impact its capable of which I haven't experienced with my other headphone amps.

+1.
adequate/loud/intolerable listening level is NOT = optimal control and drive.  If you run a high output sub-woofer in home theater/pro audio/live performance, you would understand.  Simply put, It's all about current and power reserve.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #10,000 of 20,386

Could be that some of the amps have a touch of Babbelas.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #10,001 of 20,386
  Hey guys, I asked about, "How would you guys compare the sound profile of the HE-500's to the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 cans? Describe the differences in terms of bass, mids and treble." Not about comparing to the HE-6 or HD800. I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of my HE-500 on Monday, so help me out here, if you can. Otherwise I can compare it with my own HD600 on my own on Monday. 
wink_face.gif
 So who's gonna do their civic duty and help out?

Been a while since I even got the HD650 out of their box since I got the HE500 and HD800 but here is a review I did using the Asgard 2 amp to drive them.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/schiit-asgard-2/reviews/8528

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #10,003 of 20,386
I don't think so.  On my Woo WA22, to drive the HE500, it's often pushing 12 o'clock.  

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #10,004 of 20,386
  Been a while since I even got the HD650 out of their box since I got the HE500 and HD800 but here is a review I did using the Asgard 2 amp to drive them.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/schiit-asgard-2/reviews/8528

Thanks for the feedback. I see that you noticed that the HD600's are more sensitive, Did you ever get that Bifrost?

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #10,005 of 20,386
  Thanks for the feedback. I see that you noticed that the HD600's are more sensitive, Did you ever get that Bifrost?

I don't have HD600's only the HD650's and the HD800's. 

Yep, got the bifrost and then upgraded it later to the uber analog and USB boards.  I also got the Loki and Vali.  I now drive the HD800's and HE500's with the Asgard 2 serving as pre-amp to my Taboo MKIII.  The Vali is also very nice with the HD800 with or without eh Asgard 2 as Pre.  Have not done extensive listening with the HE500's yet.  I expect to do some over the break after my jergulor pads get here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back