HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 25, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #9,496 of 20,386

Code:
 Any thoughts on a amp using the direct dac output from the TD-11 for the 500's?

That's certainly an option, Swan.. I'd opt to use the TD-11's "tube out" to a nice, transparent solid state amp (that provided ample current into low impedance loads.. which is what most planars tend to like).  Perhaps something like the Schiit Magni or Asgard 2.  A few people have run a tube buffer to their Emotiva XDA-1 (with the HE-500 running of the XDA's speaker taps) and found the combo to be excellent.  But really, I'd be more than happy with the TD-11's headphone out.. I did have the HE-500 and TD-11 at the same time (for a very short period) and remember the HE-500 to sound superb from the TD-11's headphone output.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #9,497 of 20,386

That's certainly an option, Swan.. I'd opt to use the TD-11's "tube out" to a nice, transparent solid state amp (that provided ample current into low impedance loads.. which is what most planars tend to like).  Perhaps something like the Schiit Magni or Asgard 2.  A few people have run a tube buffer to their Emotiva XDA-1 (with the HE-500 running of the XDA's speaker taps) and found the combo to be excellent.  But really, I'd be more than happy with the TD-11's headphone out.. I did have the HE-500 and TD-11 at the same time (for a very short period) and remember the HE-500 to sound superb from the TD-11's headphone output.

One thing to remember, the headphone out on the TD-11 bypasses the tube.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #9,498 of 20,386

One thing to remember, the headphone out on the TD-11 bypasses the tube.

Correct.  I found the DAC+solid state output has a smooth, slightly warm, almost "liquid" quality... a very nice match with the HE-500 (and practically any other phone I've used with it).  The DAC isn't the last word in resolution, but it was more than serviceable, IME.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #9,499 of 20,386
Correct.  I found the DAC+solid state output has a smooth, slightly warm, almost "liquid" quality... a very nice match with the HE-500 (and practically any other phone I've used with it).  The DAC isn't the last word in resolution, but it was more than serviceable, IME.

That's what I'm hearing a nice smooth and warm sound, I am just questioning power issues and getting full potential from the 500's. If I had this sound with 2w or so I'd be happy, that's why I started looking a SS amps not just tubes after hearing TD-11 SS. I didn't know It was the TD-11, I thought it was the phones.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #9,501 of 20,386
If you're looking for an interesting thing to do with your HE-500, and have a pair of AKG Q701 or K702 (non-Annie version), stick the AKG pads on the HE-500.  I did this today while my jergulorX pads are drying.  At first blush, I'm keeping this "mod."  The soundstage really opened up, and the angle of the AKG pads helps with audio cues/instrument placement.  I don't think the upper frequencies are particularly forward, as with the Q701.  The lows are tremendous, and I did not do the venting in the back that jerg recommends.  Songs with serious low end (Amon Tobin's "Stoney Street"; "The Anarchist" from Rush's Clockwork Angels) were not found wanting.  In fact, everything was presented in a very even way.

As a quick test, I just used simple double-stick tape to affix the Q701 mounting ring to the HE-500, then double-stick photo squares with holes punched (per the jergpad mod) over the holes on the other side of the HE-500 mounting ring to keep it from sliding around once attached.  It was quite loose.  I plan to use carpet tape to semi-permanently affix the Q701 pads to the HE-500 ring.  I might try the back vents, though at this point I see no need.

I also want to test them against the jergulorX pads, but not sure when I'll have time.

If anyone tries this, I'm curious to hear your impressions.  Might not be for everyone.  koiloco?

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #9,502 of 20,386
  If you're looking for an interesting thing to do with your HE-500, and have a pair of AKG Q701 or K702 (non-Annie version), stick the AKG pads on the HE-500.  I did this today while my jergulorX pads are drying.  At first blush, I'm keeping this "mod."  The soundstage really opened up, and the angle of the AKG pads helps with audio cues/instrument placement.  I don't think the upper frequencies are particularly forward, as with the Q701.  The lows are tremendous, and I did not do the venting in the back that jerg recommends.  Songs with serious low end (Amon Tobin's "Stoney Street"; "The Anarchist" from Rush's Clockwork Angels) were not found wanting.  In fact, everything was presented in a very even way.

As a quick test, I just used simple double-stick tape to affix the Q701 mounting ring to the HE-500, then double-stick photo squares with holes punched (per the jergpad mod) over the holes on the other side of the HE-500 mounting ring to keep it from sliding around once attached.  It was quite loose.  I plan to use carpet tape to semi-permanently affix the Q701 pads to the HE-500 ring.  I might try the back vents, though at this point I see no need.

I also want to test them against the jergulorX pads, but not sure when I'll have time.

If anyone tries this, I'm curious to hear your impressions.  Might not be for everyone.  koiloco?

lol, yes sir.  I will try it tmr nite.  I brought the Q701 to the office to use.  That's my weekly routine.  At work, Q701; at home, HE500. 
I like the idea of angled pads on HE500.  I manually hold the cups angled couple times and sort of liked the effect but the pads  were not sealed at all.  :)
I'll let you know tmr nite.

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #9,503 of 20,386
You guys, what's the best (basically high-end end-game) $2K-$3K single ended or SS or tube amp for the HE-500 you;ve heard? I'm on the market...

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #9,504 of 20,386
  You guys, what's the best (basically high-end end-game) $2K-$3K single ended or SS or tube amp for the HE-500 you;ve heard? I'm on the market...

Oh ****...... :)
Tube will be a hard one.  The only 2 possible choices I would try is Woo WA5LE (1.5watt SE, balanced connector is 8w) or Glenn custom 300B amp (8 watts).  Both are 300B and dead smack in your $ range.  The Woo will be at the upper range or go over after upgraded tubes.  Glenn's amp will be at the low end of your range before tubes.  SS would be easier.  Head amp GS-X mk2 would be it at $2800.

Btw, if only for your HE500, I wouldn't spend that much.  There are other much cheaper alternatives that will get you 80%-90% of the SQ.  Unless you have too much $ to spare then by all means, go right ahead.

Gluck.

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #9,505 of 20,386
Definitely going with the HE500s. Had them for a few days and really fell for them. Now, my Grados really sound bad.. and I used them for 3hours+ per day the better part of 2 years.

I have the WA7 headphone amp, I committed to them before I heard the Hifimans. Still, I did really enjoy the pairing. I don't really have the tight and controlled bass that most of the speaker amps guys are describing but I do enjoy the sound overall.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #9,506 of 20,386
I personally like the Z for a DAC and will be using the Emotiva mini x speaker amp for the 500.

Thanks for the reply. SO it looks like I have 250 bucks to drop on the best amp possible paired with the soundblaster z. Any recommendations?

Well like I said, I'm going with the Emotiva MiniX A100 for $169. Then you need a custom adapter (female 1/8 or 1/4" to banana) that you can order from some different cable vendors. You're still under $250 with that.

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #9,507 of 20,386
  Definitely going with the HE500s. Had them for a few days and really fell for them. Now, my Grados really sound bad.. and I used them for 3hours+ per day the better part of 2 years.

I have the WA7 headphone amp, I committed to them before I heard the Hifimans. Still, I did really enjoy the pairing. I don't really have the tight and controlled bass that most of the speaker amps guys are describing but I do enjoy the sound overall.

Agreed, I really loved my Grado RS1i for the better part of a year, but after I got the HE-500 I also thought the Grado's didn't sound quite as good anymore. I think the WA7 should be more than good enough for the HE-500. I have used the HE-500 with headphone amplifiers that had lower power output than the WA7 and still did them more than enough justice. The most noticeable is a slight lack of bass, dynamics and slam. Having the Mini-X now puts them in a different league though.

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #9,508 of 20,386
Well like I said, I'm going with the Emotiva MiniX A100 for $169. Then you need a custom adapter (female 1/8 or 1/4" to banana) that you can order from some different cable vendors. You're still under $250 with that.

Only if he lives in the US. I think Canada possibly might get away with cheaper shipping but rest of the world will have to include shipping costs. Add $100 to that total and that would be something prospective overseas consumers should be considering. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #9,509 of 20,386
I'm thinking of getting a TH600 just to try something different. Am I doing something stupid?

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #9,510 of 20,386

It happens. I actually like the thin-ness combined with the treble coloration though. 

I'm thinking of getting a TH600 just to try something different. Am I doing something stupid?

Buying headphones is never a bad idea my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back