HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 24, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #9,466 of 20,386
It's always good enough if you know your stopping point.  If you ask for input to "upgrade", better get yourself ready for suggestions based on people 's personal experience/preference.  I often say my akg Q701 is good enough but when I ask "what would be an upgrade?"  the answer would be abundant.

For me, the TEAC is the "it" DAC for me.  That I am 100% sure.  Amp-wise, I am also done.  1 or 2 more HPs at the most then I'll be done too.  The sound quality I am getting now from my combo is already to my ears "end game".  I am not going to even think about paying more ridiculous amount of $ for the last 1% of SQ which I won't be able to distinguish.  I am not one of those who will say "yeah, very minute improvement, definitely there, I can hear it blah blah blah..."  I think that's bull schiit and self justification.

Looks like that's almost it for me too on the DAC and amp side unless I'm going to be spending over $1k on each. I might get myself a decent Sabre DAC and an OTL amp just to satisfy my curiosity then just like you perhaps a couple more cans

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #9,467 of 20,386
My old HD-555s finally went and I just got a great deal on a pair of HE-500s and couldn't pass it up, so needless to say I am in the market for an amp and possible a DAC. 

I have a soundblaster zx and despite all the research I have done, am unsure if it can do the HE-500s justice. So here I am looking for suggestions and advice in regards to using the SB zx as a DAC and getting an amp to go along with it or if it would be best to get a DAC with amp instead.

I mostly game, but appreciate rich sound when I am watching a movie or not playing competitive shooters.

Budget is ~200-250.

Any and all advice is welcome while I continue to read through the volumes of information here.

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #9,468 of 20,386
Just have to say that after five weeks with my HE-500 + Lyr it's hard to take them off my head.  I've been running them with my homemade jergmod pads (JergulorX version) and the grill mod since the second week.  Recently I added the felt mod.  My Q701 gets used mostly when I'm modding or tinkering with the HE-500.  Poor Quincy.  I've had the Lyr for the same period, and have a nice little collection of tubes, with at least a couple more to come.  I simply love these cans 
darthsmile.gif
  <--- yep, I've got red grills :wink:

It's been fun reading this thread 
smile.gif

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #9,469 of 20,386
It's always good enough if you know your stopping point.  If you ask for input to "upgrade", better get yourself ready for suggestions based on people 's personal experience/preference.  I often say my akg Q701 is good enough but when I ask "what would be an upgrade?"  the answer would be abundant.

For me, the TEAC is the "it" DAC for me.  That I am 100% sure.  Amp-wise, I am also done.  1 or 2 more HPs at the most then I'll be done too.  The sound quality I am getting now from my combo is already to my ears "end game".  I am not going to even think about paying more ridiculous amount of $ for the last 1% of SQ which I won't be able to distinguish.  I am not one of those who will say "yeah, very minute improvement, definitely there, I can hear it blah blah blah..."  I think that's bull schiit and self justification.

Wow I wish I was in your shoes right now. If you don't mind answering how may rigs have you been buying and selling to get you up to this point?

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #9,470 of 20,386
My old HD-555s finally went and I just got a great deal on a pair of HE-500s and couldn't pass it up, so needless to say I am in the market for an amp and possible a DAC. 

I have a soundblaster zx and despite all the research I have done, am unsure if it can do the HE-500s justice. So here I am looking for suggestions and advice in regards to using the SB zx as a DAC and getting an amp to go along with it or if it would be best to get a DAC with amp instead.

I mostly game, but appreciate rich sound when I am watching a movie or not playing competitive shooters.

Budget is ~200-250.

Any and all advice is welcome while I continue to read through the volumes of information here.

I personally like the Z for a DAC and will be using the Emotiva mini x speaker amp for the 500.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #9,471 of 20,386
Wow I wish I was in your shoes right now. If you don't mind answering how may rigs have you been buying and selling to get you up to this point?

I started this hobby 6 months ago but have been around pro-audio for a long time and still do now.  Also, home theater has always been a hobby. So overall I am no stranger to the audio world.  6 months ago, I started with couple Fiio E17 and E9K for around $200.  Then I went to a meet to experience and listened to many many amps/DACs.  After that, I knew exactly what I would consider to be somewhat my end game range combo.  Did I hear better amps/HPs than what I have now?  absolutely yes, but as i said, I am not willing to spend that much more $ for a very tiny tiny bit of improvements because I don't think it's ever worth it.  We all have different standards, preferences and willingness to spend our hard-earned $ but for me, I have reached my limit.  If I win the lottery tmr then $ won't be an issue anymore, right?  
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #9,472 of 20,386
koiloco, you've got me wondering what I'll gain if I get the Bifrost Uber as a upgrade to the HiFimeDIY U2 Sabre DAC.  I know they're different DACs, not to mention (what I assume to be) the greater sophistication of the way the Bifrost is put together.

Does anyone have an opinion on the differences?  The HiFimeDIY is the first external DAC I've used, and compared to any PC I've built, with decent audio cards, it's better, to varying degrees (vs. laptops... HA!  vs. M-Audio cards, sure thing).  At least I know I can take the HiFimeDIY with me, whereas the Bifrost will be married to the Lyr (and what a sexy couple they will be :wink:

TIA.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #9,473 of 20,386
  koiloco, you've got me wondering what I'll gain if I get the Bifrost Uber as a upgrade to the HiFimeDIY U2 Sabre DAC.  I know they're different DACs, not to mention (what I assume to be) the greater sophistication of the way the Bifrost is put together.

Does anyone have an opinion on the differences?  The HiFimeDIY is the first external DAC I've used, and compared to any PC I've built, with decent audio cards, it's better, to varying degrees (vs. laptops... HA!  vs. M-Audio cards, sure thing).  At least I know I can take the HiFimeDIY with me, whereas the Bifrost will be married to the Lyr (and what a sexy couple they will be :wink:

TIA

^ I've listened to the bifrost more than a few times behind different level amps.  I always leave with the same impression : uncolor, pretty neutral but not "smooth" and quite "cold" (many people actually prefer this).  I know those 2 terms are kind of ambiguous and more of an emotional indication than technicality but for me, those characteristics are important.  I haven't listened to your DAC so I can't comment whether it will be a sure upgrade.  After my DAC purchase, then followed the amp purchase, I can confirm that amp will make a more obvious difference.  
Do you find anything missing in your DAC's SQ now? or just wonderin about upgrades?  Is there any chance to go to a meet?  If yes, go.  It will save you a lot of $/time and also put equipment/$ into very clear perspective.  Any local friends/head-fiers who is willing to meet up / swap gears?

Btw, I just saw that you already have the Lyr.  Bifrost/Lyr will be a nice looking combo.  Also, the Lyr will warm up the sound from the bifrost a tiny bit (not a lot, cuz Lyr is a hybrid).  On the other side, honestly, at $450 with USB, it starts getting a little high in price.  It's a tough choice here. Personally, I will save a little more and go for a somewhat end game DAC.  If not, skip it for now.  That's what I did.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #9,474 of 20,386
Quick update on new 500's after 24hrs burnin so far. It's filling out nicely from the out the box sound much warmer but not tube type warmth. Very kind to all music sources from 320 mp3's to my 45rpm 96/192 rips. Did a experiment using my copper extension cable to get an idea about the SPC cable included and I think I'm going to keep the original rather than rushing to pure copper or silver. When playing hard bop hi-res they really shine it sounds like the bass is more sub instead of crowding bass and drums into the midbass freq. I currently driving them from my tube dac SS plug no tube buffer which specs show 600mw @ 32Ohm. Med volume at 11-12 o'clock high at 3 with no breakup. I don't know if it's the built-in headphone stage or the USB/coax digital converter but I'm not getting any digital flare. I'm going to live with this current setup until I decide what upgrades are needed not want that's never ending of course. As I get use to my current setup, what will be the biggest change other than SPL if I go to a more powerful amp soundwise?

No takers ?
:tired_face:

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #9,475 of 20,386
No takers ?
:tired_face:

If you go to speaker amps for your HE500 like I did (Emotiva), the clear improvements, IMO and experience, would be :

1. bass : richer/more texture/better impact
2. Mid : clarity improves a bit but over all dynamic and airiness in the mid, based on my experience, opens up very nicely.
3. High : a touch more details but not a huge difference.  Extensions are more obvious but not necessarily improved.
4. Sound stage : In my case, did improve enough though not significantly.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #9,476 of 20,386
Thanks, I'm starting to reconsider the need for a tube amp since they seem to be warming up nicely as they burnin more.

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #9,477 of 20,386

Thanks, I'm starting to reconsider the need for a tube amp since they seem to be warming up nicely as they burnin more.

Yep.. I have a BH Crack + SB.  I noticed it tends to sound best after it's been powered on for approx. 30-45 minutes.

BTW.. glad you're digging the TubeDAC-11.. it's a wonderful unit.. I had it for quite some time and was extremely happy with it.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #9,478 of 20,386
Code:
Yep.. I have a BH Crack + SB.  I noticed it tends to sound best after it's been powered on for approx. 30-45 minutes.

BTW.. glad you're digging the TubeDAC-11.. it's a wonderful unit.. I had it for quite some time and was extremely happy with it.

Finally, I keep underestimating this unit and it just does it all so well. I'm shocked how good the HE-500 sound using the SS plug I know a head amp is in the future but I don't have to rush into it unless I find a hell of a deal. I feel strange sometime bragging on the TD-11 since it's not the flavor of the week on most forums, but it's a special little unit. Any thoughts on a amp using the direct dac output from the TD-11 for the 500's?

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #9,479 of 20,386
As I type I'm listening to a 45rpm 96k LP Rip of Sonny Clark "Sonny's Crib" it sounds so freakin live. I can't image what's left on the table since this is 30hrs max burnin with only 600mw.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #9,480 of 20,386
Lol, u r really loving he500. Wait till u hear it off a speaker amp. I often refer to the sound of he500/speaker amp as "band practice" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back