HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 24, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #9,452 of 20,386
I'm looking at an upgrade and want to spend about $500usd. Where would it best be served considering I'm currently driving my HE500s via the Topping TP60 fed from the DAC of the Audio Gd 15.32

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #9,453 of 20,386
I'm looking at an upgrade and want to spend about $500usd. Where would it best be served considering I'm currently driving my HE500s via the Topping TP60 fed from the DAC of the Audio Gd 15.32

you wanna upgrade DAC, right?  If yes, Save another $300 and try my DAC :  TEAC UD 501.
I have had it for a while now and have nothing but great things to say about it.  Well built, great SQ, great details but at the same time very sweet/relaxing sound signature, high res playback including DSD...balanced out, decent built in HP amp.  Highly recommended!
If you don't wanna spend that much, a Schiit Bifrost would be a good option.

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #9,454 of 20,386
you wanna upgrade DAC, right?  If yes, Save another $300 and try my DAC :  TEAC UD 501.
I have had it for a while now and have nothing but great things to say about it.  Well built, great SQ, great details but at the same time very sweet/relaxing sound signature, high res playback including DSD...balanced out, decent built in HP amp.  Highly recommended!
If you don't wanna spend that much, a Schiit Bifrost would be a good option.
So the TEAC isn't a dedicated DAC? Interesting I'll have a look. Do you think the bitfrost would be a major upgrade over my existing DAC? I can spend more if it's worthwhile. Thanks for the tip

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #9,455 of 20,386
So the TEAC isn't a dedicated DAC? Interesting I'll have a look. Do you think the bitfrost would be a major upgrade over my existing DAC? I can spend more if it's worthwhile. Thanks for the tip

Hmm it's kind of a sidegrade, don't worry about the DAC as much once you've established that you have a good one. I have the same dac/amp as you actually.

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #9,456 of 20,386
It's my first DAC and i've never really heard any others so not sure how much better or worse they get

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #9,457 of 20,386
It's my first DAC and i've never really heard any others so not sure how much better or worse they get

You picked a good one mate. Rest easy, if you're itching to spend money the balanced options are out there..

I actually prefer that little wonderbox over the O2 pairing. I mean heck, look at the output wattage, DAC chip, all yuour input and output modes and tell me you get more amp for the money 

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #9,459 of 20,386
Quick update on new 500's after 24hrs burnin so far. It's filling out nicely from the out the box sound much warmer but not tube type warmth. Very kind to all music sources from 320 mp3's to my 45rpm 96/192 rips. Did a experiment using my copper extension cable to get an idea about the SPC cable included and I think I'm going to keep the original rather than rushing to pure copper or silver. When playing hard bop hi-res they really shine it sounds like the bass is more sub instead of crowding bass and drums into the midbass freq. I currently driving them from my tube dac SS plug no tube buffer which specs show 600mw @ 32Ohm. Med volume at 11-12 o'clock high at 3 with no breakup. I don't know if it's the built-in headphone stage or the USB/coax digital converter but I'm not getting any digital flare. I'm going to live with this current setup until I decide what upgrades are needed not want that's never ending of course. As I get use to my current setup, what will be the biggest change other than SPL if I go to a more powerful amp soundwise?

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #9,460 of 20,386
You picked a good one mate. Rest easy, if you're itching to spend money the balanced options are out there..

I actually prefer that little wonderbox over the O2 pairing. I mean heck, look at the output wattage, DAC chip, all yuour input and output modes and tell me you get more amp for the money 
Thanks for making me feel good about my purchase of the Audio Gd. I was hoping that a new dedicated DAC would give me clear audible (not sure this is a word) improvements but now I might just save up a bit more and get a complimentary can to the HE500s.

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #9,461 of 20,386
When you ask on headfi for suggestions for an upgrade, the normal response would be, "get this [insert gear] you'll be blown away blah blah...". Its refreshing to hear from some who suggest what you got is already good enough. Ta Chris_Himself

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #9,462 of 20,386

I recently upgraded my first DAC (HRT Music Streamer II) to the Resonessence Concero. Neither of these are DAC's you've mentioned, but anyway... The Concero has a very obviously different presentation. That's the main thing. It's also better than the old DAC in terms of detail and separation. While the improvement is readily apparent, it doesn't jump out as much as the fact that the Concero just sounds different. I don't really see myself ever getting a DAC more expensive than the Concero. 

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #9,463 of 20,386
I am thinking about getting away from the Lyr and tubes. Not sure why but I am tired of tube rolling, it was fun for 1.5yrs but I am done.

Anyone have any preference on either the MJOLNIR or Bryston BHA-1?

Leaning towards the BHA-1 as it has single ended output as well as balanced. Probably going to add a T1, HD800 or LCD-3 down the road if that would factor in.

Thanks

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #9,464 of 20,386

The TEAC is a dedicated DAC.  It just happens to have a little HP amp built in.  The HP amp is nothing fancy and powerful but not bad either.  For me, it was just an extra topping of the pie.  I bought the TEAC for the DAC/DSD and balanced connections.  Its perfomance/price ratio is very high.  About the bifrost, Chris pretty much said it.  

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #9,465 of 20,386
  When you ask on headfi for suggestions for an upgrade, the normal response would be, "get this [insert gear] you'll be blown away blah blah...". Its refreshing to hear from some who suggest what you got is already good enough. Ta Chris_Himself

It's always good enough if you know your stopping point.  If you ask for input to "upgrade", better get yourself ready for suggestions based on people 's personal experience/preference.  I often say my akg Q701 is good enough but when I ask "what would be an upgrade?"  the answer would be abundant.

For me, the TEAC is the "it" DAC for me.  That I am 100% sure.  Amp-wise, I am also done.  1 or 2 more HPs at the most then I'll be done too.  The sound quality I am getting now from my combo is already to my ears "end game".  I am not going to even think about paying more ridiculous amount of $ for the last 1% of SQ which I won't be able to distinguish.  I am not one of those who will say "yeah, very minute improvement, definitely there, I can hear it blah blah blah..."  I think that's bull schiit and self justification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back