HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 27, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #14,581 of 20,386
China is: darkvoice 337 and lafigaro339.. Ur in luck dude..u dont need to pay a fortune to get those heavy monsters to be shipped far! Try them locally and get some good tung sol tubes (5998 and sj7gt mesh plates)

U wont regret those!
wink.gif

And they make u a very special custom if u have the budget.
wink.gif

I'm almost definitely going custom. I have some very nice DAC components lying around and I'm ordering a DAC/Amp combo. What kind of power output would be optimal? I hear that 1w is considered the minimum for good performance with the HE-500, but does it benefit from more power? 

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #14,582 of 20,386
  I also have the HE-500 and HD650 paired with the Lyr. The reason I got the Lyr was the same as yours, so that I could drive both high impedance cans and inefficient orthos. From my experience of tube rolling on the Lyr, the HE500s go very well with Amperex Bugle Boys and the HD 650s with Amperex  Orange Globes. I also roll Vokshod Rockets with both. I haven't ventured into any other tubes for the sake of my wallet. I hope you enjoy your Lyr 2. 

Thank you! My he-500 and Lyr2 came finally. I can't get over how amazing this combo sounds already, did you feel tube rolling changed the sound signature much? I'm not sure there is much I'd want to change honestly everything sounds so good lol

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #14,583 of 20,386
For my case it's rather weird, i did change my Russian tube because i was asking the same question. The change in the sound signature seemded to be unsignificant first, but after a litle while i could detect that my Amperex 12at7 was colder, less lush, more clinical than my 6h23N, it's weird because it doesn't stands out at first as a change...then the more you listen to the tubes, the more you are able do hear the differences. It's alltogether subtle and obvious changes...

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #14,584 of 20,386

Thank you! My he-500 and Lyr2 came finally. I can't get over how amazing this combo sounds already, did you feel tube rolling changed the sound signature much? I'm not sure there is much I'd want to change honestly everything sounds so good lol

I pretty much agree with everything Drrizzt said. I would say that if you are really enjoying the combo as it is, refrain from buying tubes until/if you ever feel the itch. Happy you are enjoying your new amp!

Sep 8, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #14,585 of 20,386
  I'll be using a schiit modi. I know, it'll be a "weak link" in my chain, but I'm not so sure I really buy in to the whole idea of spending a lot of money on a DAC. To me, they pretty much all do the same thing, and if working properly shouldn't really affect the sound. That being said, I haven't tried one of the more expensive DAC's to compare it with, but I'm not willing to spend that much money on something I'm not sure will do much (probably not a popular opinion around here, but i'm a student and money is pretty tight)

I'm a little late to this one, but I wanted to throw in my $0.02.  I bought an optical Modi as an upgrade to my Sound Blaster's DAC and couldn't hear any difference, so I returned it.  Later I purchased the Audio-GD NFB-15 and heard a very noticeable improvement in clarity, separation and black background.  

I thought there might have been a problem with me since I couldn't hear how awesome the Modi supposedly sounded (if you believe what everyone on Head-fi writes).  After upgrading to a much better DAC, I realize that the DAC in my sound card was just as good as the Modi, which is why I couldn't hear the difference.

The moral of the story for me is that the DAC is definitely an important part of the chain and if the rest of your gear is up to par, you can definitely benefit from jumping up to something nicer.  I agree with Thurston regarding diminishing returns tho.  I doubt further upgrades will be nearly as impressive.

Now, back to the original reason I can in here.  Please excuse the cross post, but can anyone in here speak to the differences between the HE-500 and the HE-4?  I'm borrowing a friend's HE-4 now and it's amazing and I am thinking about buying one.  However looking for reviews has led me to the HE-500 as another potential option.  I've read nothing but amazing reviews of this can, but I'm not sure if it will be worth the price difference from the HE-4.  Innerfidelity and the 50 Flagships thread both neglect to mention the HE-4.  

EDIT - Oh and will my NFB-15 drive them/pair well with them?

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #14,586 of 20,386
Stillhart your best would be to get the HE-500 from Hifiman and compare it with your friend's HE-4. Hifiman should allow you to exchange HE-500 for HE-4 if you end up preffereing the other or get a full refund and buy it used.

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #14,587 of 20,386
  I'm a little late to this one, but I wanted to throw in my $0.02.  I bought an optical Modi as an upgrade to my Sound Blaster's DAC and couldn't hear any difference, so I returned it.  Later I purchased the Audio-GD NFB-15 and heard a very noticeable improvement in clarity, separation and black background.  

I thought there might have been a problem with me since I couldn't hear how awesome the Modi supposedly sounded (if you believe what everyone on Head-fi writes).  After upgrading to a much better DAC, I realize that the DAC in my sound card was just as good as the Modi, which is why I couldn't hear the difference.

The moral of the story for me is that the DAC is definitely an important part of the chain and if the rest of your gear is up to par, you can definitely benefit from jumping up to something nicer.  I agree with Thurston regarding diminishing returns tho.  I doubt further upgrades will be nearly as impressive.

Now, back to the original reason I can in here.  Please excuse the cross post, but can anyone in here speak to the differences between the HE-500 and the HE-4?  I'm borrowing a friend's HE-4 now and it's amazing and I am thinking about buying one.  However looking for reviews has led me to the HE-500 as another potential option.  I've read nothing but amazing reviews of this can, but I'm not sure if it will be worth the price difference from the HE-4.  Innerfidelity and the 50 Flagships thread both neglect to mention the HE-4.  

EDIT - Oh and will my NFB-15 drive them/pair well with them?

HE-500
center imaging
sound stage (the HE-4 is a bit more distant, but HE-500 defined the lines very well)
micro-detail
extension (on both sides)
bass (the 500's has a little bit of the Audeze house sound going on, the bass encompasses much of the head room)
class (again, I won't say this isn't my bias speaking, but I believe the HE-500's are much more classier than the HE-4's)
warmth

HE-4
perceived detail (a little hot for some, I had no issues with it)
crispier
timbre (depends if you're more for the high or low end)
air (14 K monster)
speed (bounces back like a champ, it could go toe to toe with the Fostex t50rp's)
fun factor (I could live with the 4's without ever caring for the 500's, ever)

If you like the HE-4's, you'll probably enjoy the HD800's (nice, but very sterile in my opinion) and the HE-6's (not as distant sounding as the 4's, but more resolving). If you prefer the HE-500's, then you'll probably prefer the Audeze LCD-2/3 (I know I did, those cans are absolutely mystifying), and the Beyer T1's (I thought the T1 's sound very similar to the He-500's, but with more stride).

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #14,588 of 20,386
"If you like the HE-4's, you'll probably enjoy the HD800's (nice, but very sterile in my opinion) and the HE-6's (not as distant sounding as the 4's, but more resolving). If you prefer the HE-500's, then you'll probably prefer the Audeze LCD-2/3 (I know I did, those cans are absolutely mystifying), and the Beyer T1's (I thought the T1 's sound very similar to the He-500's, but with more stride)."

if you had to pic one for everyday use, which would it be and why ?

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #14,589 of 20,386
  "If you like the HE-4's, you'll probably enjoy the HD800's (nice, but very sterile in my opinion) and the HE-6's (not as distant sounding as the 4's, but more resolving). If you prefer the HE-500's, then you'll probably prefer the Audeze LCD-2/3 (I know I did, those cans are absolutely mystifying), and the Beyer T1's (I thought the T1 's sound very similar to the He-500's, but with more stride)."

if you had to pic one for everyday use, which would it be and why ?

The LCD-3's, any day of all eternity.

Audeze house sound really is something else. The bass extension on the LCD's is so low, it encompasses the entirety of the sound like none other.

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #14,590 of 20,386
  The LCD-3's, any day of all eternity.

Audeze house sound really is something else. The bass extension on the LCD's is so low, it encompasses the entirety of the sound like none other.

To me, the HE-6 and LCD3 have a visceral, textured bass that is quite on par with one another at high volumes. For lower volume listening, I'd give the nod to the LCD3, but in terms of pure potential, I'd say they are pretty evenly matched in almost all regards. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #14,591 of 20,386
  To me, the HE-6 and LCD3 have a visceral, textured bass that is quite on par with one another at high volumes. For lower volume listening, I'd give the nod to the LCD3, but in terms of pure potential, I'd say they are pretty evenly matched in almost all regards. 

I didn't like the bass of the HE-6, I thought it sounded somewhat artificial. It has great speed, but was a little lacking in balance. I can understand why people love the HE-6's ultra clarity, but to my ears the sound was much too aggressive. Though fun to listen to, I could feel the treble spikes burning my ears.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #14,592 of 20,386
  I didn't like the bass of the HE-6, I thought it sounded somewhat artificial. It has great speed, but was a little lacking in balance. I can understand why people love the HE-6's ultra clarity, but to my ears the sound was much too aggressive. Though fun to listen to, I could feel the treble spikes burning my ears.

In what way do they sound artificial/too aggressive? I totally get the treble even though I think 'burning ears' is a bit much, but sure. I guess to each their own...if you ask enough people one is bound to say they prefer apple earpods over the stax sr 009 because they don't like the stax sound. For the record though, even David Mahler has said that the HE-6 is extremely close to neutral so if they don't sound airy and natural I wonder if you listened to a properly fed pair?

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #14,593 of 20,386
Got my 500 with Jerg Pads up for sale if anyone is looking for a set.

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #14,594 of 20,386
My cat destroyed my original cable of my He 500 :/

I'm looking for a cheap good replacement cable, what do you think guys about this one:

Hi-End Headphone Upgrade Cable For HIFIMAN HE-5 HE-6 HE-300 HE-400 HE-500

Furutech PCOCC Silver Plated Cable with Shield

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/Hi-End-Headphone-Upgrade-Cable-For-HIFIMAN-HE-5-HE-6-HE-300-HE-400-HE-500-/121409350608?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item1c448fabd0&_uhb=1

Is it a good deal ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back