1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jamato8, Apr 26, 2011.
First

Back
962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971
973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982
Next

Last
  1. StanD
    Yep straight up, no monkey business.

2. ThurstonX

Glad I'm making sense.  Running on fumes. 

3. StanD
    You should sit down and relax a spell by the seament pond with some of Granny's nerve medicine

4. gregr507
    Thanks man! You've been very helpful. I too noticed a significant change vs using computer onboard audio, but I think once you've got a decent external DAC, diminishing returns kicks in quickly (essentially, what you said). Some day down the line I'm sure I'll end up with a better DAC, but I think I'll be happy with what I have for now  :) 

5. ThurstonX

Nah, I think it's time.... I Dream of Jeannie [​IMG]

i-dream-of-jeannie-major-nelson-and-jeannie-6600571-1024-768.jpg

No time to Photoshop the HE-500s onto her cans.  Errrr, wait.... what?!  [​IMG]

6. StanD
    You better hurry up before Roger gets to her first and rubs her.........headphones.

7. Espresto
    Spec-wise what would you guys say an ideal amp for the HE-500 would be? I live in China so I have the option of having one custom built for a surprisingly reasonable price. 

8. Liu Junyuan
    I also have the HE-500 and HD650 paired with the Lyr. The reason I got the Lyr was the same as yours, so that I could drive both high impedance cans and inefficient orthos. From my experience of tube rolling on the Lyr, the HE500s go very well with Amperex Bugle Boys and the HD 650s with Amperex  Orange Globes. I also roll Vokshod Rockets with both. I haven't ventured into any other tubes for the sake of my wallet. I hope you enjoy your Lyr 2. 

9. davidsh
    20-20kHz +/- 0.1 dB, THD less than 0.1%, 1W at 32 ohm. Something like that.

10. Tuneslover
    I have the Schiit Modi/Magni combo. About 4 months ago I decided to introduce a DAC to my high end 2 channel system. Liking how the MODI/Magni combo sounded on my computer I decided to go with the Schiit Bifrost. Great decision as the Bifrost significantly elevated my 2 channel rig. I then tried the Magni with my Bifrost and realized a very noticeable jump in headphone sound quality (Grado 80 & Shure 840).

I craved more. I auditioned numerous headphones and ended up loving the HiFiMan HE500's. I wanted to return my Magni back to the Modi setup which led me on a headphone amp quest for the 2 channel room setup. Again, I did a fair amount of research but felt I should remain loyal to Schiit and go with the newly released Lyr2. Tubes, eh? Read the threads on tube vs solid state and based on good feedback decided to stay with ss (I'm a neutral, balanced sound lover).

I liked what I heard and read about the LAKE PEOPLE headphone amps out of Germany as it is an UNCOLOURED amp that simply amplifies the source directly to the headphones. Exactly what I desired. So I went with their G109S.

So now I have a very satisfying 2 channel system and an equally good headphone system. I now find myself listening to a CD over the 2 channel system and then re-listening to it over the headphone system. Both systems sound terrific and remarkably similar.

By the way, my Grado and Shure cans have never sounded better, however I can definitely hear their limitations. The HE500's, on the other hand sound limitless. Back when I was auditioning headphones I just could not get into the dark Sennheiser 650 sound signature that the Sennhead enthusiasts rave about. However now I'm curious to hear how they might sound with my equipment. I will try to get a loaner pair of HD650's to audition on my setup.

11. shayson1357
    try out as many headphone setups as you can to get to know what you really like in a headphone, oh and you should definitely try the he-6 on a high-powered speaker amp based on how I understand your stated preferences [​IMG]

12. hifimanrookie
    China is: darkvoice 337 and lafigaro339.. Ur in luck dude..u dont need to pay a fortune to get those heavy monsters to be shipped far! Try them locally and get some good tung sol tubes (5998 and sj7gt mesh plates)

U wont regret those! :wink:
    And they make u a very special custom if u have the budget. :wink:

13. DaemonSire
    To those that have tried both FocusPad and FocusPad-A on the HE-500:  Which would you consider the better pad if you prefer the stock Pleather to the Velours?

Personally, I prefer the stock pleather pads to the stock velour pads (in both sound and comfort).  Of the two new pads, which would be similar to the stock pleathers in terms of sound?

14. davidsh
    I have a feeling focus A might do the best as it resembles the jerg pad mods the most.

15. borrego

After listening with the Q701 pads for a few days, I decide to go back to the HE-560 production Focus pads. I realized the bigger sound stage given by the Q701 pads was actually "illusion" caused by reflection echo of the larger inner space of the Q701 pads. I find the echo will obscure bass details.

The Q701 pads mounting plate opening is actually a few mm smaller than the stock Hifiman pads mounting ring, thus it is causing additional reflection which offsets the benefits of my black pearl mod. If I have bigger ears then I may not have the echo problem with the Q701 pads

I may try sticking thin sound absorption foam to the Q701 mounting ring to see if it will cut down the reflection and echo. Until then I will keep using the HE-560 Focus pads.

First

Back
962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971
973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982
Next

Last