HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 15, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #12,106 of 20,386
  Doesn't have to be a dac and amp in one unit of course :)

FWIW, I really like my HiFimeDIY Sabre U2.  Quite inexpensive.  The USB isolator is a good add-on, though not necessary, if you'd like to save the USD$30 (or whatever that translates to in Euros plus import tax, plus your first born 
biggrin.gif
 ).  It's not much to look at, though, and I know you're picky 
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #12,107 of 20,386

FWIW, I really like my HiFimeDIY Sabre U2.  Quite inexpensive.  The USB isolator is a good add-on, though not necessary, if you'd like to save the USD$30 (or whatever that translates to in Euros plus import tax, plus your first born 
biggrin.gif
 ).  It's not much to look at, though, and I know you're picky 
wink.gif

Yes, I know that one but it's not pretty enough 
tongue_smile.gif
 I'm probably going for Schiit Modi and Vali. In Holland that would be a total of 265 euro. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #12,108 of 20,386
tongue_smile.gif
 I'm probably going for Schiit Modi and Vali. In Holland that would be a total of 265 euro. 

Do it up right, mate.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #12,109 of 20,386
  To follow up on my post from earlier this afternoon, I am now a proud owner of an HE-500!! Couldn't be happier (well... my wallet could be) and now to begin the break in!!!  

Haha, you couldn't resist and your ears beat your wallet silly. You will enjoy these for a long time.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #12,110 of 20,386
tongue_smile.gif

I just spent two hours listening to my HE500's through a Vali. I prefer my Asgard 2, that is if I want to play the HE-500's much louder. Otherwise the Vali sounds very good and I think you'd enjoy them. They can drive normally efficient cans very well. There are two things to know about the Vali.
1) If you are using very efficient IEM's or cans, you can hear the amp's background noise. Otherwise not an issue, Can't hear it with the HD600's or HE-500's.
2) When you first turn it on or tap the case you will get a small ringing that goes away in a few seconds. I do not find this to be a problem Early units had a problem due to the way the tubes were soldered to the PCB. If you get an old unit, unlikely, this is easy to fix. No tube rolling.

You will probably like the case, it's not cheap plastic and has a nice appearance. Great build quality.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #12,111 of 20,386
  I just spent two hours listening to my HE500's through a Vali. I prefer my Asgard 2, that is if I want to play the HE-500's much louder. Otherwise the Vali sounds very good and I think you'd enjoy them. They can drive normally efficient cans very well. There are two things to know about the Vali.
1) If you are using very efficient IEM's or cans, you can hear the amp's background noise. Otherwise not an issue, Can't hear it with the HD600's or HE-500's.
2) When you first turn it on or tap the case you will get a small ringing that goes away in a few seconds. I do not find this to be a problem Early units had a problem due to the way the tubes were soldered to the PCB. If you get an old unit, unlikely, this is easy to fix. No tube rolling.

You will probably like the case, it's not cheap plastic and has a nice appearance. Great build quality.

Sounds like a waste of $120+ to me. Sell that thing.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #12,112 of 20,386

Sounds like a waste of $120+ to me. Sell that thing.

A regular wiseguy. I bought this thing on a whim, it was pretty cheap and was surprised how well it works. I have a variety of amps, don't need this but will keep this despite your advice. 
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #12,113 of 20,386

Good to hear! I should stop listening at too loud volumes anyways :) 

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #12,114 of 20,386
  A regular wiseguy. I bought this thing on a whim, it was pretty cheap and was surprised how well it works. I have a variety of amps, don't need this but will keep this despite your advice. 
tongue.gif

lol really?! You just said you like your Asgard 2 better. Why on earth would you just keep an amp just for storage (says the guy with tons just sitting here collecting dust)?! Yes I have done it too, but that is why Im currently selling all of them. You have the next step up, you have tried the lower model and didnt like it compared to your current next step, so therefore I must question what part in your collection/setup does a lower end, less liked model have?!

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #12,115 of 20,386
  Good to hear! I should stop listening at too loud volumes anyways :) 

The HE-500's are not efficient, yet the Vali is able get these going. HE-6's are out of the question. The Vali is able to drive most typical headphones to very loud levels.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #12,119 of 20,386
  I need a closed can and this is what comes closest, right?

The HE-500's are a lot slower than the t50rp's. Modded or un-modded, the t50rp is an incredibly fast headphone, and most people who do mod them lean a bit more towards the high end. For the money, I'm sure they're the best closed headphones you can get, but as a t50rp modder and HE-500 owner I find them to sound really different. Try them out, they're a lot more addicting than the HE-500's tonality wise.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #12,120 of 20,386
  The HE-500's are a lot slower than the t50rp's. Modded or un-modded, the t50rp is an incredibly fast headphone, and most people who do mod them lean a bit more towards the high end. For the money, I'm sure they're the best closed headphones you can get, but as a t50rp modder and HE-500 owner I find them to sound really different. Try them out, they're a lot more addicting than the HE-500's.

Sounds good to me. Had the AD2000 and really liked those (and they are fast!) but the comfort was just horrible. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back