HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 15, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #12,121 of 20,386
  That's good news! I would assume they would work well with ZMF then!

Those look to be a modified Fostex T50RP. I looked at the specs for the Fostex and they're 50 Ohms 98 dB SPL/mW and the Vali puts out 550 mW at 50 Ohms. So that'll put out just over 125 db SPL at full power. That should play plenty loud and deliver lots of headroom. I found that so many people were pleasantly surprised at how good they sound. These are not ultra sensitive IEMs, so tube noise should not be an issue.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #12,122 of 20,386
  Those look to be a modified Fostex T50RP. I looked at the specs for the Fostex and they're 50 Ohms 98 dB SPL/mW and the Vali puts out 550 mW at 50 Ohms. So that'll put out just over 125 db SPL at full power. That should play plenty loud and deliver lots of headroom. I found that so many people were pleasantly surprised at how good they sound. These are not ultra sensitive IEMs, so tube noise should not be an issue.

I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Modi and Vali with the ZMF then! Thanks! I sold my Bifrost and USB and Interconnect cables. Local guy will pick them up tomorrow :)

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #12,123 of 20,386
  I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Modi and Vali with the ZMF then! Thanks! I sold my Bifrost and USB and Interconnect cables. Local guy will pick them up tomorrow :)

You may have given up your beloved equipment but the new kit will work well and may be an interesting learning experience. Good listening my friend.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #12,124 of 20,386
I need a closed can and this is what comes closest, right?

A closed senn maybe or a beyer dt880? :wink:
Seriously..I think u have to try that zmf phone..sounds good on paper as far i can read..u have my blessing, mr. Gold ears :D

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #12,125 of 20,386
A closed senn maybe or a beyer dt880?
wink.gif

Seriously..I think u have to try that zmf phone..sounds good on paper as far i can read..u have my blessing, mr. Gold ears
biggrin.gif

Yes I will buy the ZMF :) I just hope I don't get ****ed with custom fees hehe. He will put low value so I hope that works!!

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #12,127 of 20,386
  Golden ears, get it right
wink.gif

Like a Bond villain.

damn u got me...now i cant be bad anymore..now i have to lay low for a while....well only thing thats left for me is to sit down/lay down on my comfy chair and  put my code-x on my head and listen to music
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #12,129 of 20,386
  I need a closed can and this is what comes closest, right?

I could hear the influence of HE500 when listening to solo vocals. The background is blacker than on stock T50RP and sound is liquid. There's also considerable sense of the horizontal aspect of soundstage. Treble extension is more noticeable on ZMF--that doesn't mean it's better or worse than HE500, only that I notice it more.

If I had never heard it before, and you blindfolded me and put this on my head and asked me, "What does this remind you of?" I would say, "Fostex." If you then played a vocal solo, and asked me, "Doesn't this remind you of HE500?" I would exclaim, "Yes! It does!"

Isolation is less than closed, but much closer to closed than open. I'd say 80% of the way toward closed.

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #12,131 of 20,386
  With what dac and amp 
tongue_smile.gif

didnt u know?..i think i found a magical usb amp...somehow this combo, a old cheap beyer amp that i had laying around and this code-x sounds better then then the wonderful rig i had with the he500 by a big margin on several areas..only bass is lacking a bit.....i cant even comprehend this!! i dont know what LFF did with this phone (have to check if he doesnst have hidden devil powers like carrie in the movie (just saw the new carrie movie..loved it!)..and even more unbelievable how it will be with an amp specifically made for his bigger brother... my god..hope i dont piss myself of fear when i hear some evil real sounding heavy metal
biggrin.gif

and ur worried about the customs costs of ur 300usd headphone that doesnt even weigh a kilo? ur kidding right? ask them to not mention which model they sent..or let them mention thier cheapist model..in so u can try to fool our bloodhouds of customs...
beerchug.gif

and how u think i am feeling knowing my main amp alone is at least 20lbs (on pics it looks light though!), but the powersupply looks pretty heavy though..and knowing the other is already 20lbs u can imagine i am rather nervous now!..the postage alone to sent it off!! and then i am not even talking about the extra costs for taxes etc. i will be so ****ed when i first have to pay for postage from canada and when its at my doorstep i will be double ****ed...in a worst way...oh well...i have a feeling it will be worth the being ****ed around..
biggrin.gif

lolz...so many ******* hehehehe am now listening to a evil sounding metal band called HAGGARD (track: Chapter I-Tales Of Ithiria) ...one of the leadsingers sound as if he is a creature of hell...creepy!! OMG..that dude will be in front of me when i listen to it ttrhough my new amp..HELLLLPPP!!!
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #12,132 of 20,386
  Excellent description. I would also use "liquid" if I were to describe the HE-500, HD650, or the LCD-2.

The MadDogs remind me of the LCD-2 whereas the ZMF's remind me of the HE-500 with a bit of HD650's  thrown in.

i think u guys have to try the Enigma out also then when its out...acccording to luis it will be a closed phone for the audiophiles..and we all know LFF...he is not the guy to brag about his stuff...i know that by own experiience...

but for the price i think the ZMF is a very good deal..if it sounds as good as u guys say....especially that u can change the connectors on the cups..just like LFF did with his Code-X..

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #12,133 of 20,386

i think u guys have to try the Enigma out also then when its out...acccording to luis it will be a closed phone for the audiophiles..and we all know LFF...he is not the guy to brag about his stuff...i know that by own experiience...

but for the price i think the ZMF is a very good deal..if it sounds as good as u guys say....especially that u can change the connectors on the cups..just like LFF did with his Code-X..

How much will the Enigma cost?

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #12,134 of 20,386

Wooden cups?

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #12,135 of 20,386
  The MadDogs remind me of the LCD-2 whereas the ZMF's remind me of the HE-500 with a bit of HD650's  thrown in.

This precisely is what I worked out last night, so much impressed with your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back