HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #9,017 of 20,386
Nope..am new man now...just 3 words: at least 2watts
biggrin.gif

The Soloist SL has 2 watts a channel
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #9,018 of 20,386
Really torn. Woo Audio WA6-SE, Schiit Mjolnir, or some other amp?

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #9,019 of 20,386
  Really torn. Woo Audio WA6-SE, Schiit Mjolnir, or some other amp?

What DAC will it be paired with? Do you have plans to use other headphones with the amp, now or in the future?

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #9,020 of 20,386
  What DAC will it be paired with? Do you have plans to use other headphones with the amp, now or in the future?

I'm going to be using a Halide Design DAC HD. I'm eventually going to get an Audez'e LCD-2 sometime in the future, yes.

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #9,021 of 20,386

I'm going to be using a Halide Design DAC HD. I'm eventually going to get an Audez'e LCD-2 sometime in the future, yes.

Well, the MJ will be good so long as that DAC isn't on the bright side. I would also consider the TBI Millenia MG3 with a resistor box that they can make for you at a nominal charge. It has a very good following with the LCD 2 crowd in the 'speaker amps for headphones' thread.

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #9,022 of 20,386

A lot of people use and recommend the Schiit with the LCD-2. I think there are question marks about its versatility though. The Soloist and Violectric V200 are great all-rounders which will drive almost anything. The WA6SE is generally regarded that way too.

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #9,023 of 20,386
The Soloist SL has 2 watts a channel :D

2 watts into 16ohm :wink: u need around 39ohm for the he500..so its probably less when driving ur he 500 :xf_eek:
To be honest..i think that the watts put on the amps as label sometimes are on the optimistic side.. My modded amp was measured at only 2watts into 50ohm, According to the first owner..but it sounded so much more powerfull...

Only the lyr (4w into 50ohm and 6w into 32ohm, according to their site) really sounded more powerfull to my ears... And u experienced that especially in the bass inpact..it hit so much harder!
Like my mstage i had not so long ago..on paper it was a lightweight powerwise.... But in reality and with gain dipswitches on 10db it did an admirable job in driving my he500! Am not saying the figures the brands tell us on paper are always wrong... But best and only way to find out if the amp in question is good enough for ur he500 is to connect it and listen! Imho ofcourse

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #9,024 of 20,386
2 watts into 16ohm!.. U need around 39ohm for the he500..so its probably less when driving ur he 500 :xf_eek:
To be honest..i think that the watts put on the amps as label sometimes are on the optimistic side.. My modded amp was measured at only 2watts into 50ohm, According to the first owner..but it sounded so much more powerfull...

Only the lyr (4w into 50ohm and 6w into 32ohm, according to their site) really sounded more powerfull to my ears... And u experienced that especially in the bass inpact..it hit so much harder!
Like my mstage i had not so long ago..on paper it was a lightweight powerwise.... But in reality and with gain dipswitches on 10db it did an admirable job in driving my he500! Am not saying the figures the brands tell us on paper are always wrong... But best and only way to find out if the amp in question is good enough for ur he500 is to connect it and listen! Imho ofcourse

2 watts into 50ohms is pretty powerful. I know the Soloist is a 4 watt amp but I don't think it puts anything like that into 39 ohms.

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #9,025 of 20,386
My audio gd puts out about 2 watts to 50 ohms. I listen to the he500 at 10 o clock or a tiny bit above. Some friends think I listen incredible loud and others the opposite :xf_eek:

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #9,026 of 20,386
I can drive the HE-500 directly out of the 901 balanced and they sound excellent. Dynamic and open. With the fi.Q amp, excellent and out of the RSA Intruder or The Lightning. They are very versatile and to or for me, easy to drive. With some music I prefer them to the LCD-2. They are a little warmer sounding (fuller) and still retain transparency, which always happen with a fuller sound. IMO

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #9,027 of 20,386
A lot of people use and recommend the Schiit with the LCD-2. I think there are question marks about its versatility though. The Soloist and Violectric V200 are great all-rounders which will drive almost anything. The WA6SE is generally regarded that way too.

I use the Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir to drive my Hifimans, my Audez'e cans and the Fostex 900. IMO, there are no question marks about versatility.

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #9,029 of 20,386
2 watts into 16ohm
wink.gif
u need around 39ohm for the he500..so its probably less when driving ur he 500
redface.gif

The output power is actually stated into 8 ohm, so the power is quite a bit less. If my math doesn't fail me, the soloist sl puts out 410mw into 39 ohms. Which is remarkably similar to the balanced amp card of the Hifiman HM-901.
  I can drive the HE-500 directly out of the 901 balanced and they sound excellent. Dynamic and open. With the fi.Q amp, excellent and out of the RSA Intruder or The Lightning. They are very versatile and to or for me, easy to drive. With some music I prefer them to the LCD-2. They are a little warmer sounding (fuller) and still retain transparency, which always happen with a fuller sound. IMO

In Hi-gain the card puts out 477mw into 30 ohms, so i can see how it would sound just fine.

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #9,030 of 20,386
The output power is actually stated into 8 ohm, so the power is quite a bit less. If my math doesn't fail me, the soloist sl puts out 410mw into 39 ohms. Which is remarkably similar to the balanced amp card of the Hifiman HM-901.
In Hi-gain the card puts out 477mw into 30 ohms, so i can see how it would sound just fine.

Damn..now i think of it..my new amp will pump out 5w into 50ohm (as it was orginally designed to drive a he6 lolz)..ouch..that will hurt my new he5 code-x..

but i understand the he5 is harder to drive then the he500 (i read 2w into 32ohm or something)..so i guess it wont be overkill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back