HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #9,001 of 20,386
The Bifrost was a good choice. Going uber myself soon.

Never heard the SL, but the big brother soloist does a damn great job driving the HE500. I like it slightly better than the Lyr when both are run off the Bifrost. Lyr can generate more sub bass, but the Soloist beats it in overall clarity, soundstage, detail retrieval.

Can't say for certain about the SL, but it does carry the Soloist genes, so to speak. :) So I infer it should do very well for you HE500.

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #9,002 of 20,386
Soloist SL is better. RIGHT :p

Well..not really..lolz..lets say its different, especially if u want to use the he500..

But then again, allthough i never put both side by side...i think the lyr is bigger on ur desk then the SL..and u told me that u have limited space..so the SL could be ur better choice for u... U can always upgrade later as a burson is easy to sell later on.. :p

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #9,003 of 20,386
The Bifrost was a good choice. Going uber myself soon.

Never heard the SL, but the big brother soloist does a damn great job driving the HE500. I like it slightly better than the Lyr when both are run off the Bifrost. Lyr can generate more sub bass, but the Soloist beats it in overall clarity, soundstage, detail retrieval.

Can't say for certain about the SL, but it does carry the Soloist genes, so to speak. :) So I infer it should do very well for you HE500.

I was never bothered by the stepped attenuator on my Conductor until I got the HE-500. It sounds fantastic but there seems to be a big increase in loudness somewhere between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock on the volume pot which makes it difficult to find a nice listening volume. The Soloist SL won't have that problem.

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #9,004 of 20,386
I was never bothered by the stepped attenuator on my Conductor until I got the HE-500. It sounds fantastic but there seems to be a big increase in loudness somewhere between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock on the volume pot which makes it difficult to find a nice listening volume. The Soloist SL won't have that problem.

Unfortunately that issue is also with the Soloist (full not SL) Tony1110
frown.gif
, albeit a slight complaint to a great product. Thankfully the NAD M51 has digital volume control. This allows fine-tuning of the volume with no detectable change in sound quality (for these ears). I wish the Bifrost had that sometimes...although the Schiit amps already have nice and smooth pots so I guess that shall remain a pipe dream.

Nov 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #9,005 of 20,386
Unfortunately that issue is also with the Soloist (full not SL) Tony1110 :frowning2: , albeit a slight complaint to a great product. Thankfully the NAD M51 has digital volume control. This allows fine-tuning of the volume with no detectable change in sound quality (for these ears). I wish the Bifrost had that sometimes...although the Schiit amps already have nice and smooth pots so I guess that shall remain a pipe dream.

It probably wouldn't be an issue for most people. I play music too loudly :)

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #9,009 of 20,386
I use the medium gain and listen at 1 or 2, which is probably about the same. I tell myself not to do it but I get carried away after ten minutes or so.

Well..i always listened on volume 10 oclock on my 337 ..more and i would get deaf.. :D

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #9,012 of 20,386
Or combo of both :)

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #9,014 of 20,386
Nov 2, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #9,015 of 20,386
I listen around 9 on my x-can :p 10 when I rock out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back