HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 31, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #8,971 of 20,386
Thanks for all the comments guys! :D

If I'm reading between the lines the Soloist SL is on par with amps like the Lyr? They perform well with the HE-500? Anybody know a good DAC max 300 euro to go with it.

Dac: HRT Music Streamer II, good sound, clean sound..and no thingies to change..just designed to sound its best..simple.
and if i am not mistaken u sometimes can find them second hand on ebay :wink:

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #8,972 of 20,386
Dac: HRT Music Streamer II, good sound, clean sound..and no thingies to change..just designed to sound its best..simple.
and if i am not mistaken u sometimes can find them second hand on ebay
wink.gif

How would they compare to Cambrigde Audio DACMagic 100, would you happen to know? I'm going to buy a DAC blind, so I'm just going off on other people's experiences
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #8,973 of 20,386
How would they compare to Cambrigde Audio DACMagic 100, would you happen to know? I'm going to buy a DAC blind, so I'm just going off on other people's experiences :wink:

I nevr hear the cambridge... But did hear the soundstream..went very well when i connected it to my 337 and a burson amp (the normal soloist)..for the price it has a very clean sound and good soundstage.. I liked that last pair better then the conductor (with dac inside).. But as i said to u on pm..

Its always personal and depends on what u like and want to hear... And what other components u use.. Sometimes its a hit sometimes a miss....
The he500 is a very good start as its a very balanced amp.. Many quality amps do well with those..some better then others...

Search for dacs on headfi...am sure u will see that that cambridge dac pops up.. :D

Oct 31, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #8,976 of 20,386
Already did, not THAT much information :xf_eek:

Check this out:

http://www.whathifi.com/reviews/accessories/dacs

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/usbdacs2/1.html

http://www.innerfidelity.com/category/dac-reviews

http://www.stereophile.com/category/computer-audio-reviews

http://www.whathifi.com/review/dacmagic-100

Now u have lots of reading material :D

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #8,977 of 20,386
  Thanks for all the comments guys!
biggrin.gif

If I'm reading between the lines the Soloist SL is on par with amps like the Lyr? They perform well with the HE-500? Anybody know a good DAC max 300 euro to go with it.

I would look at the Audioquest Dragonfly, the Meridian Explorer and the Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC in your price range. The Audioquest Dragonfly is a lot better compared to the MS2 (unless you can stretch to the MS2+) and the Meridian Explorer is a touch better than the Dragonfly. The V-90 is an update from the VDAC II which was also well rated.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #8,978 of 20,386

How would they compare to Cambrigde Audio DACMagic 100, would you happen to know? I'm going to buy a DAC blind, so I'm just going off on other people's experiences
wink.gif

If you're going in blind, I'm willing to bet my own money this setup will sound great.

HRT Music Streamer II+ (the $349 one)
Burson Soloist, Conductor, Or Schiit Mjolnir

If I wasn't running balanced setups now, I would put all my money into multiple HRT's and rubberband them together to build a superDAC.. somehow. They're very good DAC's for the money and the baller version really is worth every dollar. All those reviews on Amazon can't be wrong, and having heard with with a Bottlehead Sexx, it's really a budget tier-1 DAC in disguise.

You're going in with the right idea for amps though. I was not a fan of the HA-160D outright even back when I was new to high end equipment, and now having heard the other amp's in Burson's lineup, I think standalone amps are their forte.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #8,979 of 20,386
If you're going in blind, I'm willing to bet my own money this setup will sound great.

HRT Music Streamer II+ (the $349 one)
Burson Soloist, Conductor, Or Schiit Mjolnir

If I wasn't running balanced setups now, I would put all my money into multiple HRT's and rubberband them together to build a superDAC.. somehow. They're very good DAC's for the money and the baller version really is worth every dollar. All those reviews on Amazon can't be wrong, and having heard with with a Bottlehead Sexx, it's really a budget tier-1 DAC in disguise.

You're going in with the right idea for amps though. I was not a fan of the HA-160D outright even back when I was new to high end equipment, and now having heard the other amp's in Burson's lineup, I think standalone amps are their forte.

Just Like i also said ..the hrt is the way to go i believe also in that price catagory..its simple and only made to sound good..not to look good....its plug and play....although i do like the simple compact colored looks..its the inside and quality of built what counts on the music streamer..and in my book thats all that matters..no matter how it looks! But hey..i am called crazy..(remember my passion for my 337? Lolz) so dont take only my word on it :D

And because the hrt is so clean sounding it also goes well with the lyr or my BY FAR personal favorite amp ( for the he500) in this pricerange..the 337/339 ( with the right tubes ofcourse)

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #8,980 of 20,386
Just Like i also said ..the hrt is the way to go i believe also in that price catagory..its simple and only made to sound good..not to look good....its plug and play....although i do like the simple compact colored looks..its the inside and quality of built what counts on the music streamer..and in my book thats all that matters..no matter how it looks! But hey..i am called crazy..(remember my passion for my 337? Lolz) so dont take only my word on it
biggrin.gif

And because the hrt is so clean sounding it also goes well with the lyr or my BY FAR personal favorite amp ( for the he500) in this pricerange..the 337/339 ( with the right tubes ofcourse)

Lol you talk about the 339 so much I might just have to do some research and find one. I know of the Lyr's supremacy but I suspect that the Chinese built stuff may be better value for money..

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #8,981 of 20,386
Every month or so the conversation swings back around here, so I'll just repeat what I know from personal experience.  My desktop setup has Windows 7 -> usb -> Conductor  side-by-side with Windows7 -> toslink -> Uber Bifrost -> Lyr (extensive tube collection), so I often compare them side by side.

Bifrost->Lyr sounds absolutely f'g fantastic.  Conductor is just a tad more impactful and refined, but I wouldn't bet the farm on a blind test to distinguish them.  Pretty much the same across the board with my (A-list) phones:

HD-800
T1
HE-500
HD600

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #8,983 of 20,386
Thanks guys I'm gonna check out the HRT Music Streamer II+!! Hope I can find one for good value in Europe :D

It's a great little DAC for the money. Your best bet would be to order one from the States. I got mine brand new on eBay and the seller declared a low value so I didn't have to pay any customs charges.

Halide, ifi and Centrance also make good USB DACs.

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #8,984 of 20,386
Lol you talk about the 339 so much I might just have to do some research and find one. I know of the Lyr's supremacy but I suspect that the Chinese built stuff may be better value for money..
i never said its the perfect amp..but in my search to find a succesor to my 337 i heared many amps on my he500..and even much more expensive amps were struggling on the he500..but with the hd800 it sucks..and with the lcd series its not to good also..but if u have a he500 or even better a hd650/600 then i believe this amp could be the amp to go even above 1000 euro... its also far better then the lyr.and built and weighty like a tank!. just try one at a meet if u can..and then decide whether i am a nutjob or maybe a smart one? :p

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #8,985 of 20,386
... its also far better then the lyr.

Again, you say that because you heard the Lyr at a meet with one set of tubes.

I have both amps right here, the DV is good but to my ears, the Lyr with some RTC E188cc's just sounds better with the HE-500 (bigger sound stage, better harmonics, tighter bass). How many tubes have you heard in the Lyr to make that assumption? The DV is around 400 dollars more here in the US, mine is the SE and was well over  twice as much as the Lyr. (2.5times as much with my tubes).  Please give that comparison a break already, you have heard the Lyr once or twice you do not know how rolling in the right tube makes a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back