HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #7,381 of 20,386
Quote:
I'm looking to add another pair of headphones to my collection (currently have a HD650 and HM5 Brainwavz clone) and it looks like I've come down to the LCD2 and HE-500 as my two options.  I'd like a neutral sound and I've generally heard good things about both, but I can't seem to pull the trigger on either one.  Any suggestions?

My main concern besides sonic characteristics is the weight, given that my current headphones are pretty light.

I'm aware I will probably get biased feedback given the thread I'm posting in.

The HE-5LE is more neutral than HE-500, and it's lighter too. The caveat is that it's very power hungry.

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #7,383 of 20,386
Quote:
The HE-5LE is more neutral than HE-500, and it's lighter too. The caveat is that it's very power hungry.

on what amp?

i found the HE-5LE less colored than HE-500, but it had more of a U shaped response, the mids where a little recessed and the treble went up higher. bass was really punchy and the midbass seemed boosted. i liked it quite a bit, but definitely not neutral, just less colorations.

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #7,384 of 20,386
Quote:

on what amp?

i found the HE-5LE less colored than HE-500, but it had more of a U shaped response, the mids where a little recessed and the treble went up higher. bass was really punchy and the midbass seemed boosted. i liked it quite a bit, but definitely not neutral, just less colorations.

The Mjolnir. I don't recall the mids being recessed, but the treble was well extended, with perhaps a touch of mid bass boost. It is more revealing and less colored, which is why i said its more neutral than HE-500. I didn't say that the HE-5LE was neutral, just in comparison to HE-500.

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #7,385 of 20,386
Quote:
The Mjolnir. I don't recall the mids being recessed, but the treble was well extended, with perhaps a touch of mid bass boost. It is more revealing and less colored, which is why i said its more neutral than HE-500. I didn't say that the HE-5LE was neutral, just in comparison to HE-500.

oh ok.

yeah i found the same thing. maybe the mids where recessed for me a bit because they need a bit more power than the 2W the WA6-SE gives, maybe they need more like 3-4 to really be comfortable. im sure the mjolnir or a soloist would drive them better.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #7,387 of 20,386
Quote:
I'm looking to add another pair of headphones to my collection (currently have a HD650 and HM5 Brainwavz clone) and it looks like I've come down to the LCD2 and HE-500 as my two options.  I'd like a neutral sound and I've generally heard good things about both, but I can't seem to pull the trigger on either one.  Any suggestions?

My main concern besides sonic characteristics is the weight, given that my current headphones are pretty light.

I'm aware I will probably get biased feedback given the thread I'm posting in.

I owned the HE-500's and sold them. Since you asked for an honest answer, yes they are VERY heavy. If you have any concerns about the weight you should find a place to audition them for at least 1 hour before buying. It may save you a lot of pain or you may be one of the lucky ones with a strong neck and back that can take the weight.

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #7,388 of 20,386
The lcd2 are said to be heavy too though.

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #7,389 of 20,386
Quote:
I owned the HE-500's and sold them. Since you asked for an honest answer, yes they are VERY heavy. If you have any concerns about the weight you should find a place to audition them for at least 1 hour before buying. It may save you a lot of pain or you may be one of the lucky ones with a strong neck and back that can take the weight.

Good point. Me and my dad were fine with it for example. My mom on the other hand took it off immediately and told me to stop wearing these as well LOL

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #7,391 of 20,386
Never had a problem with the weight or glasses 
L3000.gif

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #7,392 of 20,386
The weight is why I want to sell mine. 

I find them pretty bad if you are sitting at a desk in an upright position for too long. My only issue is, where do i go for a lighter but, similar sounding headphone without spending too much? and that is why I still have them :/

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #7,393 of 20,386
Quote:
The weight is why I want to sell mine. 

I find them pretty bad if you are sitting at a desk in an upright position for too long. My only issue is, where do i go for a lighter but, similar sounding headphone without spending too much? and that is why I still have them :/

Perhaps consider trying out a Sennheiser HD600?  What are you currently using as an amp?

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #7,394 of 20,386
Quote:
Perhaps consider trying out a Sennheiser HD600?  What are you currently using as an amp?

The Senn's could work, but what about...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back