HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #7,081 of 20,386
Quote:
Heck, I've owned the LCD3, HD800, Stax Omega 2 and the HE-500 aren't exactly blown away by those. It's not the best in all areas (eg: bass texture vs LCD3 or soundstage vs HD800) but it's so good at so many things and has such a nice frequency response (not too dark, not too bright for my taste) that I think it could be endgame for some people.

My only issue with it now after using it for a while is weight. it's not terrible but I just got an old Stax Lambda and the weight and comfort difference is pretty much night and day. makes it harder to go back to the HE500 :frowning2:

How would you compare Omega 2 against HE-500?

Omega 2 is a long time desired hp. Always had the feeling it would be my endgame headphone. I really don't see myself upgrading from HE-500 to any other headphone besides it.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #7,082 of 20,386
Quote:
How would you compare Omega 2 against HE-500?

Omega 2 is a long time desired hp. Always had the feeling it would be my endgame headphone. I really don't see myself upgrading from HE-500 to any other headphone besides it.

that's a real hard comparison for me to make as I don't have as strong a memory of their sound as compared to the other headphones I mentioned. HE-500 has more bass impact. O2 has a little bit of a dark tonality but is exceptionally clean and clear and has no wooliness or fuzziness in the bass as the HE-500 can. Vocals on the O2 can be about as good as anything I've heard.

it's been too long for me to comment on details like soundstage or treble extension.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #7,083 of 20,386
Stalker,

I'm in nearly the same boat, new HE-500 getting unboxed.  Asgard2 been on the desk for months with HD600, but a Lyr feels tempting to push both HP.
Can ya'll here help recommend a few "not super expensive tube alternatives" that bring out the Lyr excellence?

Other info I've found referenced:
[size=small]Telefunken E288CC, Amperex CEP USN 6922, and Lorenz PCC88[/size]
as awesome but expensive.

so I guess before I Lyr jump I'd want to locate "really good" but also affordable tubes.
I'm guessing the stock tubes aren't even worth ordering/using initially...

Note:  I don't want to be constantly swapping, and won't be tweaking different tubes every 3 days to match my mood.  :wink:

Best sources to purchase such tubes?

Thanks all!

Quote:

Agreed, and a nice set of tubes in the Lyr will make it even better. Emotiva may have a little more power, but I just can't pull myself away from that tubey goodness.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #7,084 of 20,386
Quote:
Stalker,

I'm in nearly the same boat, new HE-500 getting unboxed.  Asgard2 been on the desk for months with HD600, but a Lyr feels tempting to push both HP.
Can ya'll here help recommend a few "not super expensive tube alternatives" that bring out the Lyr excellence?

Other info I've found referenced:
[size=small]Telefunken E288CC, Amperex CEP USN 6922, and Lorenz PCC88[/size]
as awesome but expensive.

so I guess before I Lyr jump I'd want to locate "really good" but also affordable tubes.
I'm guessing the stock tubes aren't even worth ordering/using initially...

Note:  I don't want to be constantly swapping, and won't be tweaking different tubes every 3 days to match my mood.  :wink:

Best sources to purchase such tubes?

Thanks all!

The stock GE tubes aren't terrible but after a few hundred hours of use, both of mine developed a terrible high-pitched feedback that I just couldn't stand anymore. I'm assuming I just got some bad ones. I am absolutely loving the Amperex Orange Globe ECC88's. You can usually find a good matched set for under $100.

This guy on ebay usually has a few pairs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-ORANGE-GLOBE-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1969-MATCH-PAIR-SWEET-TONE-STRONG-/321160237887?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4ac6a4533f

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #7,086 of 20,386
How long do these tubes usually last?

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #7,087 of 20,386
How long do these tubes usually last?

Depend usage..
The tubes i had, the rca 5693 redhots, were rated for 10.000 hours of usage..normally its less then that...

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #7,088 of 20,386
Ok I just ordered it on Amazon and chose 1 day shipping with 15 minutes left to order so I can get it tomorrow.  If I waited 16 minutes I would've had to gotten it on Friday.  I am not the richest person and I work at a job making less than $10/hr and I feel kinda horrible that I chose to buy headphones instead of more important things so I hope I made the right decision.  Looks like for the next 6 months I gotta go on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich diet for breakfast, lunch and dinner to save money.

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #7,089 of 20,386
Quote:
Ok I just ordered it on Amazon and chose 1 day shipping with 15 minutes left to order so I can get it tomorrow.  If I waited 16 minutes I would've had to gotten it on Friday.  I am not the richest person and I work at a job making less than $10/hr and I feel kinda horrible that I chose to buy headphones instead of more important things so I hope I made the right decision.  Looks like for the next 6 months I gotta go on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich diet for breakfast, lunch and dinner to save money.

In the same boat as you. Thank god for instant noodles. :) 

Some people buy smokes, some people drink till they go blind. People choose to indulge their senses in different ways. I think of audio purchases as an addiction, that at the worst would give me tinnitus or totally shot my hearing by age 50. Hehehe. Other vices will give you cancer or cirrhosis. Audio will get you a hearing aid. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't regret your decision or second guess going after what you love doing. The sacrifices we make along they way make us value what we have all the more. And besides, the HE500 is awesome. I'm sure the enjoyment you will get out of it will easily surpass the cost you paid. You may even not care about eating PB&Js as most of the time you'd be wolfing down the sandwiches to get back to listening ASAP.

Enjoy! 

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #7,090 of 20,386
Quote:

In the same boat as you. Thank god for instant noodles. :) 

Some people buy smokes, some people drink till they go blind. People choose to indulge their senses in different ways. I think of audio purchases as an addiction, that at the worst would give me tinnitus or totally shot my hearing by age 50. Hehehe. Other vices will give you cancer or cirrhosis. Audio will get you a hearing aid. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't regret your decision or second guess going after what you love doing. The sacrifices we make along they way make us value what we have all the more. And besides, the HE500 is awesome. I'm sure the enjoyment you will get out of it will easily surpass the cost you paid. You may even not care about eating PB&Js as most of the time you'd be wolfing down the sandwiches to get back to listening ASAP.

Enjoy! 

What about women?

Congrats on the purchase! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #7,091 of 20,386

I have big respect for ur decision..i am lucky i am in different situation financial wise...but am not sure i would do same thing even if it would make me happy..but at least its better to spend it this way then on drugs, alhohol, gambling or several women (they always want more..lolz)...

ofcourse i am not mentioning wives..as if u dont spend some on them ur life is finished... In worst case scenario ur wife will take all..especially ur audio set..just to punish u :D

i know a friend who loved his car more then his wife (now ex) and first thing she did during the bad devorce was forcing him to sell the car so she had half of his properties..women are vicious if ur not on their good side. :D
Oopsie..well back ontopic guys..

Enjoy ur new headphones..they are worth it...hope u already have a decent amp.

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #7,092 of 20,386
Thanks guys.  I got a Schiit Asgard 2 and Bifrost Uber.  Planning on getting the Lyr next year.

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #7,093 of 20,386
Depend usage..
The tubes i had, the rca 5693 redhots, were rated for 10.000 hours of usage..normally its less then that...

10,000 hrs is quite long and much longer than I would have thought.

Okay so what's the general vote for an amp for the he500, lyr or audio gd 11.32 if I only have modi for the dac and not upgrading it for a long while?

Also is it an improvement with the he500 if I decide the compass over the 11.32?

I'm planning to pull the trigger tonight, hopefully it'll be worth it coming from magni/modi.

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #7,094 of 20,386
10,000 hrs is quite long and much longer than I would have thought.

Okay so what's the general vote for an amp for the he500, lyr or audio gd 11.32 if I only have modi for the dac and not upgrading it for a long while?

Also is it an improvement with the he500 if I decide the compass over the 11.32?

I'm planning to pull the trigger tonight, hopefully it'll be worth it coming from magni/modi.

If you are into tubes, you have to have a tube tester. A lot of these tubes weren't made for audio but work quite well. The amp design and how hot the amp runs the tubes will determine the amount of tube life expectancy. If you just used 10,000 hr rating, you could run your tube 5 hrs a night for 2000 nights. If you just use it 5 hrs a week, it's 2000 weeks. Those military spec. tubes will last you a lot longer than that rating.

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #7,095 of 20,386
Yeah I ask to see if the lyr is an option or not as buying tubes are extra expenses, but with them lasting pretty well I don't mind if I can get the he500 where I want them.

I'm currently leaning toward the gd 11.32 because it also serve as a dac and cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back