HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #7,051 of 20,386
Thanks u all for the explanations...ur the best!

did u really say the difference not a dramatic change? Ur kidding right? My headphone is turned into a complete different animal now..like a pleather on steroids..or should i say velours on steroids.. I went from a hitting bass level of 3 for velours to a bass hitting as strong as level 8..with all the good points of the velours (although not as elevated) the experience is probably also intensified because of the grill mod i have.. And my headphone cable....and the amp ofcourse which has, if i am not mistaken, 7*140watts...but working in 2channel now..

this weekend i will be visting my old evil 337..oops.. I mean my friend (who bought him) to have BBQ in their garden with my family..i for sure will take my supercharged he500 with me... To check what my he500 is really capable off...

I only hope he doesnt decide he wants my headphone also then...well..if he pays triple..who knows :D

Update on my listening experience with my old partner in crime...the evil 337..with my completely jerg modded he500...as promised!.

While the kids and mums went to livingroom watching the voice/x-factor or something after the bbq we went to his listening room.....yes he has one!!! With special stuff on the walls/floor and ceiling to let his 2channel main system sound on its best..that room is BIGGER then my master bedroom! How unfair life can be..oops..am rambling again :p

Music now!! Well even after around 4 hours on the evil one this time NO HEADACHES..

and i now know why...

On my onkyo somehow the midrange is colder..the transition is far more agressive on the onkyo coming from low to midrange and then treble

...now i again experienced why i fell in love with my amp...the sound is warm..but ful of detail..soundstage is huge!..bass is rounded but punchy! It really hits u hard now with the new pads!...but doesnt go as low as on onkyo its also.less peaky then my onkyo..treble has less irritation factor...and the midrange on the onkyo sounds so unnatural then on the evil one..

.i was in bliss listening to my old amp again..and my friend also..

But again surprisingly he said he prefered the more detaily bit more open sound of the velours above the jerg pads..oh well...everyone has its own preferences... I definetely stay with the jerg ones.....i just didnt want to stop listening...

But time came that we had to leave.. My friend said he was also interested in hearing my new amp...so when i have it and burned it in for amonth or two we then will do a comparision between those two..

.pricewise the new one has to clean out and annihilate my evil 337... But hearing lots of amps until now i wonder now if that will be the case..yes..it will be better..BUT...worth 6times more in soundquality??? I wonder!

But one thing is clear ladies and gentlemen..these jergpads made by modulor are a one in a million product that u just must buy for ur hifiman... For me its a nobrainer!!!

Ps..i know that it sounds as if my onkyo amp is a bad one..it isnt..i bought it after several listening sessions and lots of reviews back then..for its pricerange it was said to be in the top 4..all positive..but it is a multimedia amp..designed to drive multi channel speakers for blue ray...for that it sounds perfect with my tannoy speaker set... I guess its therefor less suited for headphones...

So pls..dont think i hate speaker amps..on contrary..just signed the contract for a new to built house finisned bythe end of 2014.and i will get my listening/hobby/pc/ work room also..wifey agreed on that.YEAH!!! .so by then i need to get myself a good 2 channel system..oh boy..my wallet is hating me totally now.. Lolz

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #7,052 of 20,386
For those who made / bought complete v2 jergpads, here's a trick I've been using the last couple of days and enjoying greatly.

Just detach the pads, rotate them 180 degrees so that the backvents now face directly front, and re-install.

Instead of a very focused centralized soundstage, you get a wide-open, almost speaker-like soundstage. It's an entirely different experience just from rotating the pads.

Best types of music for this pad orientation are any kinds of live music.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #7,053 of 20,386
where do we buy these pads? are they more comfy?

btw I thought about selling these, even made an ad, took pics ect.....but I just cannot part with them, the only real issue I actually have with them is comfort. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #7,054 of 20,386
For those who made / bought complete v2 jergpads, here's a trick I've been using the last couple of days and enjoying greatly.

Just detach the pads, rotate them 180 degrees so that the backvents now face directly front, and re-install.

Instead of a very focused centralized soundstage, you get a wide-open, almost speaker-like soundstage. It's an entirely different experience just from rotating the pads.

i will try that this evening..but i already know that some of the glue thingies (tape) on the pads have to be replaced though..asi cant imagine they coming off without any casualities :D
So i hope that i will have enough left for next year when i get my he6 and put my jerg pads on them . :wink:

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #7,055 of 20,386
This was probably mentioned before, but I haven't really got the patience to comb thru 400+ pages. So what are your guys' thoughts on the he500 vs. hd800?

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #7,056 of 20,386
Quote:
i will try that this evening..but i already know that some of the glue thingies (tape) on the pads have to be replaced though..asi cant imagine they coming off without any casualities
biggrin.gif

So i hope that i will have enough left for next year when i get my he6 and put my jerg pads on them .
wink.gif

Actually no, if you pressed the adhesive tapes on well enough they never need to be replaced.

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #7,057 of 20,386
Quote:
This was probably mentioned before, but I haven't really got the patience to comb thru 400+ pages. So what are your guys' thoughts on the he500 vs. hd800?

Now that I have a chance to listen to both on various amps, all I could tell you is that they are completely different headphones so asking for a "vs" will be tough to answer.
Of course, one is dynamic while the other one is ortho.  Both have very good details across the FR.  Price difference aside, Here are my impression so far.

HE500 :
  • Thicker sound/tone overall
  • More bass slam/punch all the way to subbass. 
  • Mid is good, smooth, airy.
  • High is well balanced.
  • suitable for most music genres
  • need power to really make it shine.  Reason why many, including myself, are running them off speaker amps.
  • Could be a little too lush and warm for some.
  • Built like a tank and somewhat weights like one if your neck is not up to the task.
    biggrin.gif

HD800:
  • Awesome mid
  • Bass is always there, well define, reach just as low and clear but not as much impact/slam as HE500. 
  • High, depending on setup, could be a touch bright for some.  I did come across one such set up at the recent CA meet.
  • Need good setup synergy, esp amp.
  • Could be a little cold for some.
  • Lighter and super comfortable
  • Better overall design build/quality.
  • Probably more suitable for jazz, classical and softer/slower music genres?

I was at the same road's fork not long ago trying to decide whether to buy the HE500 or the HD800 next.  I ended up with HE500 and have been very happy (even after listening to quite a few HD800 driven by awesome amps at the meet).  Now, I am trying to decide whether to upgrade my amp next, then the HD800 or just hold out for a bit and go straight to stax.
Btw, I am thinking about Taboo MK III.  I know it's great for ortho but haven't read much yet about whether it's good for HD800.  We'll see.

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #7,059 of 20,386
Quote:

You could also just swap the cup connectors and wear them in reverse since they are symmetrical.  Any thoughts on having the vents facing down/up?

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #7,060 of 20,386
Quote:
You could also just swap the cup connectors and wear them in reverse since they are symmetrical.  Any thoughts on having the vents facing down/up?

Yeah but for those with minor OCD (most of us have) having the L/R indicators facing the front is simply unacceptable lol.

Nah facing up/down don't do jack.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #7,063 of 20,386
so anybody tried the HE-500 + Audio gd master 7 + an headphone amp of choice?? 

how was it?

what is the best headphone setup for the Master 7 in your expert opinion? (beside orpheus and sr-009)

it's hard to decide
humm

HE-500
HE-6
HD800
Stax 507
stax O mk1
stax O mk2
Stax sr-009
LCD2
LCD3
ESP-950
new Emperor?
TH-900

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #7,064 of 20,386
Quote:

how was it?

what is the best headphone setup for the Master 7 in your expert opinion? (beside orpheus and sr-009)

it's hard to decide
humm

You are looking at lots of expensive option. Why not just go to a meet and decide for yourself?

Also, even though dacs sound different, the difference between them are  much more subtle than the difference between headphones and between amps. There isn't exactly a "synergy" between dac and headphones - unlike headphones and amps. A good dac will pair well with any good sounding headphones.

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #7,065 of 20,386
Quote:

how was it?

it's hard to decide
humm

HE-500
HE-6
HD800
Stax 507
stax O mk1
stax O mk2
Stax sr-009
LCD2
LCD3
ESP-950
new Emperor?
TH-900

I will be purchasing the M7 shortly for my setup as its DAC is regarded as quite close to neutral and transparent (others say lifeless). I'm from the camp that wants the source to be as neutral and not coloring source as much as possible then focusing on headphones/speakers and amp synergy to color the music to my preference. So I would use it as my only DAC, but that's just me..Or go crazy and get the HEX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back