HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #7,096 of 20,386
Quote:
Yeah I ask to see if the lyr is an option or not as buying tubes are extra expenses, but with them lasting pretty well I don't mind if I can get the he500 where I want them.

I'm currently leaning toward the gd 11.32 because it also serve as a dac.

The main problem with tube OCD always lies with the acquisition of new toobzzzz, not their durability 
tongue_smile.gif

You may control yourself at first - but sooner or later you'll give in and want to hear how does those differently expensive glasswares sound 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #7,097 of 20,386
thats not good I'm having problem right now with wondering how this headphone and this amp sounds like :xf_eek:

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #7,098 of 20,386
The main problem with tube OCD always lies with the acquisition of new toobzzzz, not their durability 
tongue_smile.gif

You may control yourself at first - but sooner or later you'll give in and want to hear how does those differently expensive glasswares sound 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yep..tuberolling can be expensive..i myself started with inexpensive sylvania powertubes on my (now sold) 337..and ended up with expensive tung sol 5998 and bendix 6080wb graphite blocks power tubes.. :xf_eek:
At a certain moment u get to a point ur collection of tubes are worth more then the amp itself.. :rolleyes:

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #7,099 of 20,386
10,000 hrs is quite long and much longer than I would have thought.

Okay so what's the general vote for an amp for the he500, lyr or audio gd 11.32 if I only have modi for the dac and not upgrading it for a long while?

Also is it an improvement with the he500 if I decide the compass over the 11.32?

I'm planning to pull the trigger tonight, hopefully it'll be worth it coming from magni/modi.
compass 2 is a step up from nfb-11.32 and can be used as headphone amp/preamp if you later decide upgrading to a different dac

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #7,100 of 20,386
Yeah I ask to see if the lyr is an option or not as buying tubes are extra expenses, but with them lasting pretty well I don't mind if I can get the he500 where I want them.

I'm currently leaning toward the gd 11.32 because it also serve as a dac and cheaper.

Dont forget the tuberolling dream, the 337/339.. And i just read on the 339 thread the supplier now makes adapters to use ef86 tubes on their amp! And its very affordable.
And most of the guys there on that thread use the he500!! (Check the last 3 pages)

Check this out!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/502306/dark-voice-339/1950#post_9707608

Ps..a darkvoice 339 doesnt exist..
Its lafigaro 339 (upgraded version of the 337)
And darkvoice 337...which i had and loved with my he500!

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #7,102 of 20,386
Thanks! Haha I haven't order yet but will today. Couldn't make up my mind. Isn't the dark voice more expensive than the others?

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #7,103 of 20,386
Thanks! Haha I haven't order yet but will today. Couldn't make up my mind. Isn't the dark voice more expensive than the others?

As far i know the lyr and 337/339 (standard versions..not the SE versions) are in same price category..big difference is that for the 337/339 u need 2 pairs of tubes..powertubes and driver tubes and the lyr (being a hybrid) only 1 pair...but because of that u can very much TUNE ur sound exactly to ur likings!!! And so drive almost any full size headphone bar the hd800 (doesnt match well soundwise), staxes (electrostats) or the he6 (needs at least 5watts 50ohm in class-a )

By the way..my 337 didnt like the pairing with the iem i had also..the westone um3x! But dont know if its because of it being a sensitive iem or just because its own soundsignature..

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #7,104 of 20,386
I'm from the US (fifth district) and it seem the price of the 339 is a little over $700 shipped, I told myself if I go up that price range I would go for a baby Sophia which I won't.

I also notice its output isn't that much. I guess it's more synergy that makes it sounds good? They do look nice though except I think it would look better with a black casing.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #7,105 of 20,386
Quote:
I'm from the US (fifth district) and it seem the price of the 339 is a little over $700 shipped, I told myself if I go up that price range I would go for a baby Sophia which I won't.

I also notice its output isn't that much. I guess it's more synergy that makes it sounds good? They do look nice though except I think it would look better with a black casing.

the output is a total of 2watts (in my modified 337 it was) and then some (also depends on the powertubes u put in)..as its dual mono...and as i said many times...its not all about raw power that makes the he500 shine..its getting the right amount of current and that special match with the right amp...he500 depends more on quality power then on raw power to shine..yes more (budget) power gives more punch and goes lower..BUT..the rest doesnt come near a good picked quality headphone amp...imho

the 339 is indeed a bit more expensive then the 337. and the 337 i had was classy MATT black with white simple writings on it (see pics)..and not glossy black with colorfull writings on it (hell to clean!) as the 339 is....and with the 4 tubes glowing it made a wonderfull sight at night! and gives enough heat to warm up a small room! as the 337 GETS HOT!
but if u really dont want to spend more then around 400 usd then the lyr is probably ur best bet (dont forget to put a budget aside for a pair of better tubes!! the amperex orange that DUBSTEPGIRL advised are good).

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #7,106 of 20,386
I think $500 US and below is what I want to spend.  What did you do to your Darkvoice?  I see in pictures you seem to change out the power cables.

where did you get your 337 hifimanrookie?

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #7,107 of 20,386
I think $500 US and below is what I want to spend.  What did you do to your Darkvoice?  I see in pictures you seem to change out the power cables.

where did you get your 337 hifimanrookie?

Well...

1. I didnt do anything to it myself except for buying much better powercables and better feet (the 337 is extreme sensitive to vibrations)..as the standard ones are rubbish!! Even the powercable supplied with my 1200w corsair psu was of better quality!

the previous owner though did lots of modifications to it..

1 modification u can see clearly on my pics..the power switches are relocated to the back and in so minimizing the inteference because of the cables behind them...

For the rest he was very hush hush...he said: all i modified was to make the 337 sounding to its best..just enjoy it...and i did!!! Only god knows how much :xf_eek:

.i did open the case once very carefully..and i saw stuff that for sure wasnt standard issue... Am no technical man..but the inside was with parts that were of colors not resembling the colors of parts on pics i saw of standard 337's of the last series.(the pic on my profile is of the inside is from a standard version, not mine)
And i paid 600euro for it last year..but invested at least same amount on tuberolling afterwards..but sold it for 1300euros (with one pair of tubes).. So it was a solid investment! :wink:

By the way..500usd..is that already including a better pair of tubes?

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #7,108 of 20,386
No that's not including tubes, but I'm sure not going throw down another 600 euros worth of tubes though :p

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #7,109 of 20,386
Quote:

IMO, i would go with the Yulong A100 and call it a day. Very reasonable price ($360) for a high-quality amp, it has VU meters too! 

1. SNR:>110dB
  2. THD+N:1KHZ, <=0.0007%
  3. Frequency response:20-20KHz-0.1dB
  4. Output power:
680 Ohm: 75mw    VPP:20V

300 Ohm: 170mw  VPP:20V

50 Ohm: 343mw  VPP:20V

33 Ohm:1W      VPP:17V

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #7,110 of 20,386
Ok my HE-500s arrived 30 minutes ago and I've been listening to it for 10 minutes.  I like them so far but I need to start adding to my FLAC library. 

-I not familiar with these things but just curious how good of quality are music bought from itunes? 
-If I convert music from CDs using itunes, is it worse than FLAC or same?
-What are the best websites to buy music in FLAC format?
-If there are no sites that have the music I want, is the safest way to make sure they're lossless is to buy the CD then convert them myself? I remembered illegally downloading what these uploaders called FLAC/Lossless but I don't trust them because a lot of people can advertise something then lie about it or they're bad quality so I never download from these sites/forums again.  Also what made me suspicious is I noticed when playing music I bought, it plays at normal sound in my car using music on my iphone but when I played music I illegally downloaded I had to turn up the volume a lot to get the same volume.  
-Best free programs to convert music to FLAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back