HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 10, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #6,121 of 20,386
ysa4y2y6.jpg

Limme Join folks:))

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #6,122 of 20,386
Jul 10, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #6,123 of 20,386
Not to be a jerk, hifimanrookie, but the one thing that turn me slightly off about that amp of yours, is actually that you believe so strongly in cables and such. That's me I guess, but I'd still be happy if you keep praising it and such because having an opinion is not wrong.. But I have an opinion too, you know.

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #6,124 of 20,386
Not to be a jerk, hifimanrookie, but the one thing that turn me slightly off about that amp of yours, is actually that you believe so strongly in cables and such. That's me I guess, but I'd still be happy if you keep praising it and such because having an opinion is not wrong.. But I have an opinion too, you know.

Not just the 337, but also the custom amp we keep hearing so much about. It is supposedly the end-all amp to trump all other amps. You keep telling all of us that we just don't understand how good the 337 is until we hear it, yet you boast this custom amp, to which there supposedly is no other like it in the world, even though I also distinctly remember you saying you have not heard any products from its manufacturer. So you have no experience with the company, and there is no amp in exsitence like the one you are getting, so how exactly do you know this amp will be the best amp in the world for the HE-500?

Also to clarify, I'm not attacking you hifimanrookie, just sincerely curious.

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #6,125 of 20,386
Not just the 337, but also the custom amp we keep hearing so much about. It is supposedly the end-all amp to trump all other amps. You keep telling all of us that we just don't understand how good the 337 is until we hear it, yet you boast this custom amp, to which there supposedly is no other like it in the world, even though I also distinctly remember you saying you have not heard any products from its manufacturer. So you have no experience with the company, and there is no amp in exsitence like the one you are getting, so how exactly do you know this amp will be the best amp in the world for the HE-500?
Also to clarify, I'm not attacking you hifimanrookie, just sincerely curious.

You seem a little harsh. He just says that the 337 is an overlooked amp that punches above its price.
The new amp should be better, but he never stated it should be the best. I guess he's just looking forward to it (a lot)

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #6,126 of 20,386
You seem a little harsh. He just says that the 337 is an overlooked amp that punches above its price.
The new amp should be better, but he never stated it should be the best. I guess he's just looking forward to it (a lot)

People shouldn't get so defensive around here. I'm only asking a question. You must all have terribly high blood pressure.
biggrin.gif

I'm just interested in this new amp of his and how it might compare to others.

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #6,127 of 20,386

I know..dont u worry..i apreciate u being so direct...so am i...and yeah i am one of those suckers believing cables CAN improve ur listeting experience :D

AND ONCE and for all...the new amp will be MY endgame amp..the price it outrageous as it being built by hand..if u checked some of my older posts (another headfi'er was also interested) u could find two links to reviews of the speaker amp on which its based on.. the expensive blue circle audio NSL...a totally opamp based amp!

Once again i will repeat my words..mine will be a mini nsl..with only usb in and balanced headphone out (the unbalanced out i got for free :wink:)..and they will built their dac into same housing..transformer in seperate housing. And 8 watts instead of 30...Soundsignature will be same as that amp...have that on paper from them...

I totally decided to buy one after reading an older review of their simple headphone amp..from if i am not mistaken skylark a few years back..he helped me alot during the time i am here over the years with a few things...so i know he thinks a bit like me... And he wrote that the amp was a special one..

but i needed a dac also....and when i contacted them and said i was planning to buy a he6 next year they came up with the amp i am getting...they were working on another amp for another he6 owner..so they suggested to make one for me too..but the other amp was based on their flo design..mine is different as iwanted a dynamic sound..so i went for it..paid half of the amount up front..and am waiting ever since..got first pics of the front and back though..i put upload them..if interested..

yes..ur right..never heard one..and yes it sounds silly..but what i read here on headfi and other forums and reviews its clearly to me they do very special things with amps..so risk is low..as they make this amp specifically from scratch to drive a he6...
.and now That i Have the budget i wanted to have something no one has....so pls slap me if this sounds a bit stupid..in the end i wanted soething unique..if i bought a cat in the bag (i hope i said that right..lolz)..it will be a learning thingie..but if its really sounding like the nsl..god help me how much i will be enjoying my music then...

And guys..i apreciate ur concerns/unbelieve about that amp... But as soon i have some pics (as soon they start building it i will Get some ' in the process pics' of the inside..i will upload them also if people are interested.and when its in in november i will do a little interview... Promise

And about me saying it will totally destroy other amps....well...u guys know i said it as i was angry as hell at that Moment right? so i was just screaming outloud..lolz..
But knowing the price, how they communicate and their reputation for excellence in making amps i hope it will be better then the o2,emotiva,lyr, 337 and 339 :D

So.. My apologies if i am to enthousiatic......but this waiting is killing me..first the cables 4months and now this amp 6months..life is so unfair :D

the cad drawing i got of the front and back of my amp :D

as i said....the power unit will be in a seprate enclosure...thats why on the back of the amp u see a 4 pin XLR connector. :wink:

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #6,128 of 20,386
Well I'm sure we're all looking forward to hearing about your impressions once you receive it. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #6,129 of 20,386
Quote:
I know..dont u worry..i apreciate u being so direct...so am i...and yeah i am ne of those suckers believing cables CAN improve ur listeting experience
biggrin.gif

AND ONCE and for all...the new amp will be MY endgame amp..the price it outrageous as it being buit by hand..if u checked some of my older posts (another headfi'er was also interested) u could find two reviews of the speaker amp.. the blue circle audio nsl...
Once again i will repeat my words..it will be a mini nsl..with only usb in and balanced headphone out..and they will built their dac into same housing..transformer in seperate housing. And 8 watts instead of 30...Soundsignature will be same as that amp...have that on paper from them...

I totally decided to buy one after reading an older review of their simple headphone amp..from if i am not mistaken skylark a few years back..he helped me alot during the time i am here over the years with a few things...so i know he thinks a bit like me... And he wrote that the amp was a special one..

but i needed a dac also....and when i contacted them and said i was planning to buy a he6 next year they came up with the amp i am getting...they were working on another amp for another he6 owner..so they suggested to make one for me too..but the other amp was based on their flo design..mine is different as iwanted a dynamic sound..so i went for it..paid half of the amount up front..and am waiting ever since..got first pics of the front and back though..i put upload them..if interested..

yes..ur right..never heard one..and yes it sounds silly..but what i read here on headfi and other forums and reviews its clearly to me they do very special things with amps..so risk is low..as they make this amp specifically from scratch to drive a he6...
.and now That i Have the budget i wanted to have something no one has....so pls slap me if this sounds a bit stupid..in the end i wanted soething unique..if i boight a cat in the sack..it will be a learning thingie..but if its really sounding like the nsl..god help me how much i will be enjoying my music then...

And guys..i apreciate ur concerns about that amp... But as soon i have some pics (as soon they start building it i will. Get some in the process pics of the inside..i will upload them also if people are interested.and when its in in november i will do a little interview... Promise

And about me saying it will totally destroy other amps....well...u guys know i said it as i was angry at that. Moment right? But knowing the price and their reputation for excellence in making amps..i hope it will be better then the o2,emotiva,lyr, 337 and 339
biggrin.gif

So.. My apologies if i am to enthousiatic......but this waiting i killing me..first the cables 4months and now this amp 6months..life is so unfair
biggrin.gif

the cad drawing i got of the front and back of my amp
biggrin.gif

as i said....the power unit will be in a seprate enclosure...thats why on the back of the amp u see a 4 pin XLR connector.
wink.gif

I'm in a similar situation as you, I was a SS guy until I heard a proper tube amp.  The amp that a friend of mine is working on with me will indeed be my endgame amp as well.  Mine is technically going to be a speaker amp (revised the original schematic, as it was primarily being designed exclusively for the HE-500 but we decided it would be best go hit two birds with one stone) and it will have a headphone out stage built in.  If I decide to move to the HE-6 one day, it'll be ready to take it on, but until then it will be perfect for near-field monitors and my 'listening station' aka my desk.  I noticed that you plan on having two separate units for AMP and PSU, which is also my plan.  It will use a power interconnect with either XLR or Hirose connectors.  I think XLR is easier to source and the less expensive option so I'll probably use that as well.  But, you should be enthusiastic!  I'm excited to see your amp come together and to hear your impressions just as much as I'm excited about mine.  Of course once the planning and supply collecting stage is over I'll be sharing updates on my process as well. 
cool.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #6,130 of 20,386
I'm in a similar situation as you, I was a SS guy until I heard a proper tube amp.  The amp that a friend of mine is working on with me will indeed be my endgame amp as well.  Mine is technically going to be a speaker amp (revised the original schematic, as it was primarily being designed exclusively for the HE-500 but we decided it would be best go hit two birds with one stone) and it will have a headphone out stage built in.  If I decide to move to the HE-6 one day, it'll be ready to take it on, but until then it will be perfect for near-field monitors and my 'listening station' aka my desk.  I noticed that you plan on having two separate units for AMP and PSU, which is also my plan.  It will use a power interconnect with either XLR or Hirose connectors.  I think XLR is easier to source and the less expensive option so I'll probably use that as well.  But, you should be enthusiastic!  I'm excited to see your amp come together and to hear your impressions just as much as I'm excited about mine.  Of course once the planning and supply collecting stage is over I'll be sharing updates on my process as well. 
cool.gif

Thansk for sharing ur thoughts! Ofcourse i am also very interested to hear about ur new amp as well.. :wink: and funny ur going same route as mine..except ur going into tubing and me going into opamping..:D

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #6,131 of 20,386
Quote:
I know..dont u worry..i apreciate u being so direct...so am i...and yeah i am one of those suckers believing cables CAN improve ur listeting experience
biggrin.gif

AND ONCE and for all...the new amp will be MY endgame amp..the price it outrageous as it being built by hand..if u checked some of my older posts (another headfi'er was also interested) u could find two links to reviews of the speaker amp on which its based on.. the expensive blue circle audio NSL...a totally opamp based amp!

Once again i will repeat my words..mine will be a mini nsl..with only usb in and balanced headphone out (the unbalanced out i got for free
wink.gif
)..and they will built their dac into same housing..transformer in seperate housing. And 8 watts instead of 30...Soundsignature will be same as that amp...have that on paper from them...

.and now That i Have the budget i wanted to have something no one has....so pls slap me if this sounds a bit stupid..in the end i wanted soething unique..if i bought a cat in the bag (i hope i said that right..lolz)..it will be a learning thingie..but if its really sounding like the nsl..god help me how much i will be enjoying my music then...

And guys..i apreciate ur concerns/unbelieve about that amp... But as soon i have some pics (as soon they start building it i will Get some ' in the process pics' of the inside..i will upload them also if people are interested.and when its in in november i will do a little interview... Promise

And about me saying it will totally destroy other amps....well...u guys know i said it as i was angry as hell at that Moment right? so i was just screaming outloud..lolz..
But knowing the price, how they communicate and their reputation for excellence in making amps i hope it will be better then the o2,emotiva,lyr, 337 and 339
biggrin.gif

So.. My apologies if i am to enthousiatic......but this waiting is killing me..first the cables 4months and now this amp 6months..life is so unfair
biggrin.gif

the cad drawing i got of the front and back of my amp
biggrin.gif

as i said....the power unit will be in a seprate enclosure...thats why on the back of the amp u see a 4 pin XLR connector.
wink.gif

Definitely looking forward to hearing your impressions once you finally have it. Also, FWIW, I'm quite interested in trying my HE-500 with a 337 because of how much you talk about it. Unfortunately it's pretty rare to spot one and I don't have any plans on purchasing one.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #6,132 of 20,386
I'm looking forward to hearing the DV337 at the October meet, I'll be sure to post my impressions. It's a pity I won't get to try this super amp you're having built though!

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #6,133 of 20,386
Jul 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #6,134 of 20,386
Definitely looking forward to hearing your impressions once you finally have it. Also, FWIW, I'm quite interested in trying my HE-500 with a 337 because of how much you talk about it. Unfortunately it's pretty rare to spot one and I don't have any plans on purchasing one.

I know what u mean..i am only one here in the netherlands owning one as far i know..i by accident stumbled upon one for sale..and to be honest..i went to that guy purely to check if my matrix mstage was as good or better as the 337..didnt really have plans to buy the 337 to be honest :D but when i did heared the amp with different tubes (he had more then 10 pairs i guess) i was sold...i even had to get money from a atm close by as i didnt had the sum with me to buy it on the spot.. And never looked back... :D
But there are USA owners of the 337/339 check the darkvoice 339 thread (darkvoice 339 doesnt exist by the way..its darkvoice 337 or lafigaro 339 :p ).. Maybe one of those guys are close to u so u can try one out? And if u do..the 337 is very dependable on hOw it delivers on the right tubes...my he500 sounds best on tungsols 5998 power and tungsols sj7gt meshplates driver tubes..as that makes the amp more dynamic and the gain is higher in output..and less tubey sounding.. So more watts. :D

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #6,135 of 20,386
Just to add in to the cable mix. Recently on the LCD-3 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/575751/new-audeze-lcd3/7635

I mean I could fit it with liquid nail, I'm always a DIY kind of person.
But at 2k, made me think twice about voiding the warranty.
If one of the drivers happens to fail. I'm a gonna, as driver are pretty much impossible to source.
Audeze hasn't been around long enough for me to gamble with the life expectancy of drivers.

I also notice the wire connecting the mini 4 pin XLR connectors to the actual driver are like the one found in $12 12cm Fan. Red & black, very odd wire selection for a 2K headphones -_-..... What's the point of using expensive aftermarket cable...

Pot or stepped, pick your poison.

The cable in the LCD line up is the same you see in other headphones and speakers and amps.  Manufacturers don't believe in cables yet we do.  Interesting :wink:

If we use a super high end cable all the way through and then the final bit is basic, what happens to all the good stuff coming through the custom cables. I've noticed that after you get beyond a certain point and take care of stuff like microphonics, sheathing from interferences and resistance, and having a solid build quality, there isn't much difference especially when the final bit of wire is quite standard. Just throwing it out there. Some cable for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back