HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 13, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #2,011 of 20,374
Depends on what the output impedance is for that amp. If it is <5 ohms it should be ok for the HE-500's 38 ohms and at any rate this 1/8 is not a hard fact so use your ears and see if it matters

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #2,012 of 20,374
Quote:
Depends on what the output impedance is for that amp. If it is <5 ohms it should be ok for the HE-500's 38 ohms and at any rate this 1/8 is not a hard fact so use your ears and see if it matters

Output impedance according to the spec sheet is 32[size=small]Ω[/size]-600[size=small]Ω.[/size]

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #2,013 of 20,374
Quote:
Output impedance according to the spec sheet is 32[size=small]Ω[/size]-600[size=small]Ω.[/size]

That is not the same thing :) The figures you provided are merely supported impedance for the headphones, meaning any headphone between that impedance can be used with this amp.

Dont bother with it, SS amps are 99% okay as far as in/out impedance go.
Especially Audio GD, all of which products are dead quiet with all full sized headphones.

This should only concern you if you go for a tube or speaker amp. Moreso for the former, but since you are not, dont worry about it :)

Cheers! Luke

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #2,014 of 20,374
Quote:

That is not the same thing :) The figures you provided are merely supported impedance for the headphones, meaning any headphone between that impedance can be used with this amp.

Dont bother with it, SS amps are 99% okay as far as in/out impedance go.
Especially Audio GD, all of which products are dead quiet with all full sized headphones.

This should only concern you if you go for a tube or speaker amp. Moreso for the former, but since you are not, dont worry about it :)

Cheers! Luke

Oh, that impedance range is headphone impedances that work OK with this amp.

Thanks for that clarification Luke.  I'm still struggling a bit to understand the technical side of audio electronics.  I almost flunked my physics class in high school due to not being able to figure out electricity.

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #2,016 of 20,374
I describe the HE-500's with a few -- simple adjectives.  Smooth, Engaging, Clear, Punchy, Detailed, Sparkly, Smooth, Hypnotizing, Seductive, Precise and Groovy.

The SPL Auditor add's a level of precision not found on the Audio-gd ROC SA, giving the ROC a more 'musical' and relaxed sound.  The control Auditor has over the bass is astonishing.  Making it extended, punchy, controlled, detailed.  The ROC on the other hand handles bass with some added 'bloom'.  There's also a veil over the bass, which hampers detail retrieval in the lower octaves.

On the Audio-gd ROC SA, the high's are also not as extended, which adds a level of 'smoothness'.  Once again, the smoothness covers up extension and detail.  Its there, although more difficult to make out.

ROC is at a disadvantage here as well.  I'm running RCA's to it from the DAC and using SE output.  While the SPL Auditor is running Balanced from DAC and using native SE output.
Soon the ROC will be running off of balanced via Auditor passthrough.

Needless to say, HE-500's sound amazing running off of either amp.  There will be times where I will forget which amp I'm currently using.  No hearing adjustment necessary when switching amps, that's for sure.  You can call the Auditor a VERY refined ROC SA.  The Auditor has been with me for around a month and received exclusive and extensive listening time.  No 'new toy syndrome' here folks.

Until next time ... Happy Listening. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Ps. If someone knows of a deal on a balanced cable for the HE-500, feel free to PM me.

Nov 18, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #2,018 of 20,374
I describe the HE-500's with a few -- simple adjectives.  Smooth, Engaging, Clear, Punchy, Detailed, Sparkly, Smooth, Hypnotizing, Seductive, Precise and Groovy.

The SPL Auditor add's a level of precision not found on the Audio-gd ROC SA, giving the ROC a more 'musical' and relaxed sound.  The control Auditor has over the bass is astonishing.  Making it extended, punchy, controlled, detailed.  The ROC on the other hand handles bass with some added 'bloom'.  There's also a veil over the bass, which hampers detail retrieval in the lower octaves.

On the Audio-gd ROC SA, the high's are also not as extended, which adds a level of 'smoothness'.  Once again, the smoothness covers up extension and detail.  Its there, although more difficult to make out.

ROC is at a disadvantage here as well.  I'm running RCA's to it from the DAC and using SE output.  While the SPL Auditor is running Balanced from DAC and using native SE output.
Soon the ROC will be running off of balanced via Auditor passthrough.

Needless to say, HE-500's sound amazing running off of either amp.  There will be times where I will forget which amp I'm currently using.  No hearing adjustment necessary when switching amps, that's for sure.  You can call the Auditor a VERY refined ROC SA.  The Auditor has been with me for around a month and received exclusive and extensive listening time.  No 'new toy syndrome' here folks.

Until next time ... Happy Listening. :)

Ps. If someone knows of a deal on a balanced cable for the HE-500, feel free to PM me.

Great write-up! Post it as a equipment review :)

Really love the HE500 myself, currently using a CS300XS; magical :)

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #2,020 of 20,374
Haven't heard the Audio-gd stuff - but I really like the DA11. It's detailed yet smooth, punchy and fast, yet slightly warmish but not dark - maybe that sums it up.

It's am-section is actually very nice, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a  dac or dac/amp for anyone. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lavry DA11?  

would you describe this DAC?  Compared to something like an Audio-gd DAC.

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #2,022 of 20,374
Quote:
Warm huh?  That's good I was afraid it was kind of a cold and clinical DAC.  Kinda like the Benchmark DAC.  

Thanks..

I didn't think Lavry DA11 sounded any different from Grace Design m903, and m903 is often said to sound like Benchmark (not heard it myself). Thinking of getting Mhdt Havana DAC myself. That is said to be warm.

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #2,023 of 20,374
I don't find it cold and analytical at all. I also have the nice NOS Metrum Quad, I find the DA11 more open sounding (less muffled), but wouldn't call it analytical (I don't like analytical). 

The DA10/11 have a reputation for being slighlty warmish - so I am not the only one. 

Another nice feature is that it has the PiC (picture image control), whiuch is Lavry's adjustable digital crossfeed. 

And- to keep it on topic - I think i drives the HE-500 quite well! 
Quote:
Warm huh?  That's good I was afraid it was kind of a cold and clinical DAC.  Kinda like the Benchmark DAC.  

Thanks..

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #2,025 of 20,374
OT but since we are discussing DAC1 and Lavry

I didn't think Lavry DA11 sounded any different from Grace Design m903, and m903 is often said to sound like Benchmark (not heard it myself). Thinking of getting Mhdt Havana DAC myself. That is said to be warm.

So, Norway - you're saying that since you couldn't hear a difference between da11 and grace and grace sounds like a benchmark and the benchmark sounds like a grace which sounds like a grace, they all sound the same? :p

Anyway - if you want to check out warmer, and not warmish dacs - check out the Eastern Electric MinMax
[size=medium]http://eeaudio.com/eeaudio_20102.htm[/size]
[size=medium]http://www.stereomojo.com/Eastern%20Electric%20MiniMax%20DAC%20Review/EasternElectricMiniMaxDACReview.htm[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back