HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 18, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #19,051 of 20,374
Balanced. Though the DAC input from D50 is SE
Hmm, no much info for the Gilmore Lite Mkii Class A, as they only list 1.5W max output without providing W RMS values for different impedance loads like most other manufacturers out there. Depending on the amp's topology, 1.5W max output can be a little light for some current-hungry planars out there. Still, Headamp is known for making great amps.

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #19,054 of 20,374
Update of my mods:

1. fuzzor - many fine descriptions of this step on Head-Fi - required IMO
2. back screen off, I use 1/2" ground cloth (which is metal not cloth); make sure you cut it accurately, and work it so it fits snugly, not loosely. you have to make sure the 4 slots for the retainer are totally clear of the legs of the screen, or the retainer will not fit. Make sure you don't leave left over pieces of metal or soon to be broken "legs" - I spray painted mine black for looks.
3. before you do the final fit of the screens, add the dynamat AND sorbothane to the back of the can, along the edge where the membrane mounting plate fits the headphone body. I use two lenghts of dynamat and 2 lengths of sorb, interspersed.
4. get a copper cable to replace the rancid SPC stock stuff. Hit the jackpot with an old Black Dragon v1, but I'm sure many would be as/nearly as good.
5. install the Ether angled pads - line them up so that the stators look even through the dust fabric, no that important per se - but means your pads are lined up vs each other.
6. when not in use store them in a gallon plastic bag or the box - since the rear screen dust protector is gone.
7. Not sure that putting felt on the front facing bar does anything but, there might be a placebo benefit - or more.
8. They like watts, not as greedy as the HE-6, but 2 min, 4 better. They like transistors with quick hard bass (Rag 1 suits them).
9. Oops, forgot: I use the 4XX headband instead of degrading stock one - now on my 4xx. The newer HE5SE works nicely too.
10. the above mods have lost me some bass under 60 hz. But the bass is much quicker, not too thick, mids and highs are cleaner. IM is much less. They do sound like they got a dose (30%) of HD-600 added in, but still obviously a 500 without the chubsie mid bass, treble ringing cut way down too.

Rear screen mod and pad change really seem to enhance each other, neither as good alone.

I looked up the fuzzor mod on head fi but the thread is super long and the introductions doesn't really tell me what it exactly does to the sound of the HE-500. Would you mind explaining it a bit to me since I am considering doing it.

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #19,055 of 20,374
OK, there are a few pics - on that thread or on this thread that should picture it at least.

I'd use felt with a sticky side, or an open cell foam for absorbing sound in 1/8" or 1/4" depth.

Let me explain about speakers/rooms for a moment. Recordings assume playback in a moderate sized room with speakers, and some absorbtion, diffraction, and reflection that take a bit of time due to the distances.

The HE-500 and HE-6 have magnets in front of the front facing mylar. Sound bounces around in there, but at micro dstances, so you get cancellations and reflections - losing some sound, and worse getting very short delays from the initial sound wave and the following reflections. When I first heard it I recognized it very similar to IM distortion.

Applying foam or felt will greatly cut down reflections in the mids and highs. It's easy to apply and easy to remove. Locate a few recordings that seem too sharp or muddy in the highs and mids, listen to them a few times, take notes, and make the change, and repeat the process. I have heard a few folks say it doesn't matter, most seem to think it does.

Questions?

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #19,056 of 20,374
The HE-500 and HE-6 have magnets in front of the front facing mylar. Sound bounces around in there, but at micro dstances, so you get cancellations and reflections - losing some sound, and worse getting very short delays from the initial sound wave and the following reflections. When I first heard it I recognized it very similar to IM distortion.

Applying foam or felt will greatly cut down reflections in the mids and highs. It's easy to apply and easy to remove. Locate a few recordings that seem too sharp or muddy in the highs and mids, listen to them a few times, take notes, and make the change, and repeat the process. I have heard a few folks say it doesn't matter, most seem to think it does.

Questions?
I have a question. Reflections from what? There is nothing between your ear and the membrane. And the magnets are on both sides in the HE-500 and HE-6(SE).

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #19,057 of 20,374
I have a question. Reflections from what? There is nothing between your ear and the membrane. And the magnets are on both sides in the HE-500 and HE-6(SE).

the backside of the 500 & 6 don't matter (maybe barely) above 500 Hz.

You ear does not take sound in on all surfaces, in fact the canal is quite a small % off the ear, the rest reflects and absorbs a bit. the rest of your face, glasses frame, hair, etc. the membrare is not attached to the magnet, so sound is bouncing around there multiple times too.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #19,058 of 20,374
OK, there are a few pics - on that thread or on this thread that should picture it at least.

I'd use felt with a sticky side, or an open cell foam for absorbing sound in 1/8" or 1/4" depth.

Let me explain about speakers/rooms for a moment. Recordings assume playback in a moderate sized room with speakers, and some absorbtion, diffraction, and reflection that take a bit of time due to the distances.

Questions?

So essentially it makes the highs and mids clearer and reduces the sharpness of the highs? It doesn't change the FR, does it?

Nov 19, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #19,059 of 20,374
So essentially it makes the highs and mids clearer and reduces the sharpness of the highs? It doesn't change the FR, does it?

yes basically. I believe it hasn't been measured.

I'm at one edge of experience, being fascinated by planar speakers for 50 years, and also room treatments/reinforcement. I'm probably more sensitive than most to this sort of thing, but there are dozens of others who are happy advocates.

On the he-6 it seems to do more in the treble and not as much in the mids, the 500 gets help in both areas.

Nov 19, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #19,060 of 20,374
the backside of the 500 & 6 don't matter (maybe barely) above 500 Hz.

You ear does not take sound in on all surfaces, in fact the canal is quite a small % off the ear, the rest reflects and absorbs a bit. the rest of your face, glasses frame, hair, etc. the membrare is not attached to the magnet, so sound is bouncing around there multiple times too.
I see. But following the logic the foam should be applied to the ear and everything around the ear canal? I haven't looked up the mod. Maybe that's what it is.

Nov 19, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #19,061 of 20,374
yes basically. I believe it hasn't been measured.

I'm at one edge of experience, being fascinated by planar speakers for 50 years, and also room treatments/reinforcement. I'm probably more sensitive than most to this sort of thing, but there are dozens of others who are happy advocates.

On the he-6 it seems to do more in the treble and not as much in the mids, the 500 gets help in both areas.

Well, Jerg says there's absolutely no downsides when done correctly so I might as well give it a try. Gonna have to find some adhesive felt. Any recommendations on brands, etc?

Nov 19, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #19,062 of 20,374
I see. But following the logic the foam should be applied to the ear and everything around the ear canal? I haven't looked up the mod. Maybe that's what it is.

If you want the best bass seal - use crazy glue to affix the foam to your face.

/jk

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #19,064 of 20,374
Conservatism - the hobgoblin of small minds !

Nov 25, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #19,065 of 20,374
Those are the ones I have. I didn't like the trade offs. But it seems they might work for you. Let us know the outcome once you receive them and had a chance to try them out!

I finally installed these pads. Originally the inner fabric covered the four hooks on the rings so I had to do a bit of trimming. Anyway, I much prefer the sound with these on. Before I bought these I listened to a couple tracks with the ear cups pulled away from my ears and things really opened up, with a less 'boxed in' sound, and that's pretty much what I got when I installed the pads. There's no loss of bass either, in fact I think the bass is a little deeper.

I also just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD6XX headphones. I've heard both good and bad about these headphones over the years so I was curious. They sound ok but they're not nearly as refined as the HE-500's. The soundstage isn't as wide (although not as bad as some state) and the bass is too boomy. But the biggest problem I had was the comfort. I found the clamping force to be too much and because the cups are oval and elongated that they pressed into parts of my face that couldn't handle the pressure, so I could only wear them for 30 minutes. The HE-500's with Ori pads are WAY more comfortable...not what I was expecting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back