HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 8, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #19,021 of 20,386
Why are you apologizing? The more I read the more I'm learning about these things and how the resistance plays a key part in audio. I appreciate understanding the role of cables and audio.
I wasn't apologizing (but I am from Canada :) ), I meant, sorry, guys I can't take that crap about something being too bright or having poor soundstage purely because of a cable :) Cables DO matter. A bad cable will ruin a good headphone. But a better cable won't sound better than a good cable.

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #19,022 of 20,386
So I put the Velpads on. Unfortanetly my Mojo's battery was drained the first few seconds I played a song, so I did a bit of listening with my laptops onboard soundcard, which gives less bass and vocal presence than my Mojo.

Still, even with the laptop, there's more bass with the Velpads than the Dekoni TH-900 hybrids. More vocal emphases as well, but the treble is more sizzly, which I don't like.

Will have to see how they'll sound with the Mojo once it's recharged again.

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #19,023 of 20,386
I wasn't apologizing (but I am from Canada :) ), I meant, sorry, guys I can't take that crap about something being too bright or having poor soundstage purely because of a cable :) Cables DO matter. A bad cable will ruin a good headphone. But a better cable won't sound better than a good cable.

It's pretty well known that silver tends to bring out more brightness/sharpness and copper a bit more fullness/smoothness generally. There are exceptions I suppose, but my experiences tend to line up with those characteristics of the two metals. YMMV.

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #19,024 of 20,386
It's pretty well known that silver tends to bring out more brightness/sharpness and copper a bit more fullness/smoothness generally. There are exceptions I suppose, but my experiences tend to line up with those characteristics of the two metals. YMMV.
Sure. It's also pretty well known that silver conductivity is 6.30×10^7 and copper's is 5.96×10^7 S/m. About 5% difference. I wonder how it correlates to what you wrote...

Nov 9, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #19,026 of 20,386
Sure. It's also pretty well known that silver conductivity is 6.30×10^7 and copper's is 5.96×10^7 S/m. About 5% difference. I wonder how it correlates to what you wrote...

You don't have to agree. I'm cool with that. Just letting you know my experience and that of many head-fiers and online peeps that I've read over the years.

Nov 9, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #19,027 of 20,386
You don't have to agree. I'm cool with that. Just letting you know my experience and that of many head-fiers and online peeps that I've read over the years.

All I can add is that for my HE-500 copper works better than the SPC microphonic piece of dreck they send out with it stock. And add that my HEX v2 came with a nice Cardas copper cable, but I replaced with a silver one, and got a bit more detail, and sparkle.

The other thing I believe is that the Forum "Sound Science" is where objectivists ply their arguments.

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #19,028 of 20,386
I gotta say it's hard to go back to the hd-600 after listening to the HE-500. There is an old post on this forum where someone compared the two headphones and declared hd-600 the winner, but there are only a few things that work better on them versus the HE-500 imo. I still need it because it portrays my instrument, violin, better, but even with the upper mid suck the HE-500 does some instruments better.

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #19,029 of 20,386
I gotta say it's hard to go back to the hd-600 after listening to the HE-500. There is an old post on this forum where someone compared the two headphones and declared hd-600 the winner, but there are only a few things that work better on them versus the HE-500 imo. I still need it because it portrays my instrument, violin, better, but even with the upper mid suck the HE-500 does some instruments better.

I heard the HD600 a number of years ago and I was surprised by how little bass they conveyed. The midrange and treble detail was quite impressive though but I just couldn't see myself buying the HD600 because they were simply too lean in the bass. A few months later I auditioned a used pair of HE500's and they reminded me of the terrific detail of the HD600 however the HE500 also had excellent bass. I bought the HE500's and I still own and enjoy them. They were my very first "good" headphone and I have no intention of ever selling them.

Nov 11, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #19,030 of 20,386

I listen to the HE-500 a lot more than my HD-600. But the 600 is "base". It does piano top to bottom better. Violins. cello, flutes. But I listen to a lot of 4-5 piece outfits - bass, drums, female singer, guitars. The 500 swaggers, sometimes it adds, it seldom takes away; OTOH the 600 never adds, but sometimes it takes away. BTW, on Bottlehead Crack the HD-600's bass from 30-60 Hz becomes very potent, and the overall sound become more defined and yes more swaggering. And this is against a Rag 1.

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #19,031 of 20,386
Update of my mods:

1. fuzzor - many fine descriptions of this step on Head-Fi - required IMO
2. back screen off, I use 1/2" ground cloth (which is metal not cloth); make sure you cut it accurately, and work it so it fits snugly, not loosely. you have to make sure the 4 slots for the retainer are totally clear of the legs of the screen, or the retainer will not fit. Make sure you don't leave left over pieces of metal or soon to be broken "legs" - I spray painted mine black for looks.
3. EDIT: before you do the final fit of the screens, add the dynamat to the back of the can, along the edge where the membrane mounting plate fits the headphone body. I use 3 lenghts of dynamat (25% length, 15% length, 10% length )interspersed with space. the pieces should be about 1/3" wide, longest one about 2".
4. get a copper cable to replace the rancid SPC stock stuff. Hit the jackpot with an old Black Dragon v1, but I'm sure many would be as/nearly as good.
5. install the Ether angled pads - line them up so that the stators look even through the dust fabric, no that important per se - but means your pads are lined up vs each other.
6. when not in use store them in a gallon plastic bag or the box - since the rear screen dust protector is gone.
7. Not sure that putting felt on the front facing bar does anything but, there might be a placebo benefit - or more.
8. They like watts, not as greedy as the HE-6, but 2 min, 4 better. They like transistors with quick hard bass (Rag 1 suits them).
9. Oops, forgot: I use the 4XX headband instead of degrading stock one - now on my 4xx. The newer HE5SE doesn't really work, it seems to keep twisting loose.
10. the above mods have lost me some bass under 60 hz. But the bass is much quicker, not too thick, mids and highs are cleaner. IM is much less. They do sound like they got a dose (20%) of HD-600 added in, but still obviously a 500 without the chubsie mid bass, treble ringing cut way down too.

Rear screen mod and pad change really seem to enhance each other, neither as good alone.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #19,033 of 20,386
I compared the HD 650 and the HE-500 on a track known for very deep subbass, and the HD 650 actually had more energy there?

Is this normal?

Let's back up. What amp?

Very deep subbass? SUb bass by definition is 20 Hz and under. So very deep would be like 5 Hz and neither of them does anything at 5 Hz.

Is the 500 modded? Stock 500 is strong to 40, and hangs on to 30 pretty well. 650 is losing it by 65, and pretty much done by 50..

650 also has a bump in the mid bass to disguise its weak low bass.

OTOH the BH Crack on 600 gives it a lot of life in the 30's and 40's it doesn't have with transistors.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #19,035 of 20,386
Let's back up. What amp?

Very deep subbass? SUb bass by definition is 20 Hz and under. So very deep would be like 5 Hz and neither of them does anything at 5 Hz.

Is the 500 modded? Stock 500 is strong to 40, and hangs on to 30 pretty well. 650 is losing it by 65, and pretty much done by 50..

650 also has a bump in the mid bass to disguise its weak low bass.

OTOH the BH Crack on 600 gives it a lot of life in the 30's and 40's it doesn't have with transistors.
Chord Mojo.

No I mean something like 30 - 40 hz.

And this is constant on all tracks actually. The HD 650 simply is stronger there. In the midbass as well obviously, but also in the subbass on my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back