HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 26, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #15,601 of 20,386
do you have a small/narrow head? cos my head is pretty huge and the size/clamp force is pretty ideal. so i can imagine them being rather large with low clamping force for someone with a smaller/narrow head than my big noggin

edit: ****, forgot to quote dulusu

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #15,602 of 20,386
do you have a small/narrow head? cos my head is pretty huge and the size/clamp force is pretty ideal. so i can imagine them being rather large with low clamping force for someone with a smaller/narrow head than my big noggin

edit: ****, forgot to quote dulusu

Yeah my head is rather small and narrow! I was just really surprised how low the clamping force was and how much the headphone seems to be designed for people with longer and broader faces. I for instance also tested the Audeze LCD-2 which had a way higher clamping force and I had to adjust the headband to fit.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #15,603 of 20,386
Feb 27, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #15,604 of 20,386
  The HD600's have that level of treble/detail.

Sorry, but not quite true, Imho.

We'll have to disagree. There must be a reason why the HD600's have been on sale for the last 19 years, even though many new models have come out, including its intended replacement the HD650's. The HE-500 is no longer listed on Hifiman's website. I have both headphones and plan to keep both of them.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #15,605 of 20,386

We'll have to disagree. There must be a reason why the HD600's have been on sale for the last 19 years, even though many new models have come out, including its intended replacement the HD650's. The HE-500 is no longer listed on Hifiman's website. I have both headphones and plan to keep both of them.

When I'm specifically interested in highs / treble / detail, I wouldn't reach for either the HE-500 or HD600.  I'd go for the HD800 or a Grado.  I specifically go for the HD600 AND HE-500 when I'm playing an old, poorly mastered, or low bit-rate mp3 where I want to disguise the highs.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #15,606 of 20,386
  Hey guys,

I just bought myself a nice pair of the HE-500. I have however the feeling a received b-stock. As opposed to the reviews, my version has a low clamping force. Further, even though I adjusted the headband to the lowest size, the headphone still seems to 'large'. Could it be that the shop where I bought the pair of headphones sent me a returned version?

Cheers,

Dulusu

Exact same thing here. I read everything saying how "Strong" the clamping force was and when I got mine I thought..  "This doesn't clamp at all".  Coming from my Senn HD280's where they feel like a pitbull holding my head in a clamp (okay not that bad, but they clamp down).  The HE-500 just kind of hangs on my head and gently rests against the side of my head.   It's comfortable but I wouldn't mind a slightly tighter feel.  Maybe some larger ear pads would help.

I also have the headband on the smallest setting.  These things must be made for some big heads :)  For reference, I'm 5'6, and have a 7 1/4 ish hat size.  So, to be fair, I'm not a big ol' boy.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #15,607 of 20,386

When I'm specifically interested in highs / treble / detail, I wouldn't reach for either the HE-500 or HD600.  I'd go for the HD800 or a Grado.  I specifically go for the HD600 AND HE-500 when I'm playing an old, poorly mastered, or low bit-rate mp3 where I want to disguise the highs.

I don't think that either the HD600 or HE-500 will disguise a poor recording. Neither of these cans are weak in the treble department.

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #15,609 of 20,386
Agreed on Grados if strictly interested in details/upper-mids/treble.

Agreed that the HE-500s won't mask poor recordings.  My Fidelio X2s are much better at that.

LMAO @ renaming the HE-500s to the HE-560s 
darthsmile.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #15,611 of 20,386
  Agreed on Grados if strictly interested in details/upper-mids/treble.

Agreed that the HE-500s won't mask poor recordings.  My Fidelio X2s are much better at that.

LMAO @ renaming the HE-500s to the HE-560s 
darthsmile.gif

And little Photoshop job.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #15,612 of 20,386
I aquired a Marantz HD-DAC 1 a few days ago... It  matches brilliantly with HifiMan HE 500, reinforcing all of its qualities... very meaty, punchy and clear sound, having a aristocrat's finesse at the same time....its amp is of the highest quality, indeed... no wonder why marantz launches this primary as a hp amp, with a dac ...I very much enjoy the combination, being extremely satisfied with the sonic results. The build quality is unparalleled and the looks are of ''oh, my god'' status ... he's a really looker ...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529140/show-us-your-head-fi-station-at-its-current-state-no-old-pictures-please/19695#post_11362523

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #15,613 of 20,386
Just went back to my bakoon amp after quite a while away from it, I may have had the bakoon sitting in a drawer for about 6 months while using the decware taboo for convenience of speaker + headphone use.  I have to say the bakoon takes the taboo (which I love) down in every aspect.  The taboo is maybe just a touch warmer/natural BUT the timbre/stage/depth/detail/decay/etc of the bakoon is really spot on in comparison I was shocked.

It might just be one of the best headphone amps out there.  I have not heard most of the other top end amps. It's easy to forget that the HE-500 scales to such incredible levels when pushed.  It's no joke why people still consider the 500 a world class headphone.  It's also no joke why the bakoon amps are so highly regarded.  I was taking for granted this wonderful thing as it sat in a drawer while I waited for the TH-900 to go on sale.  That was a mistake.

I've owned the bakoon for a while now and I had always thought it to be better than the taboo, but my taboo just got knocked back to being a speaker only amp.  Just a friendly reminder to myself and others: If you are thinking about selling/buying the HE-500, well it can probably get better than whatever you are hearing.  And know it can scale as well as they say.  I personally forgot it could get to this level.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #15,615 of 20,386
Exact same thing here. I read everything saying how "Strong" the clamping force was and when I got mine I thought..  "This doesn't clamp at all".  Coming from my Senn HD280's where they feel like a pitbull holding my head in a clamp (okay not that bad, but they clamp down).  The HE-500 just kind of hangs on my head and gently rests against the side of my head.   It's comfortable but I wouldn't mind a slightly tighter feel.  Maybe some larger ear pads would help.

I also have the headband on the smallest setting.  These things must be made for some big heads :)  For reference, I'm 5'6, and have a 7 1/4 ish hat size.  So, to be fair, I'm not a big ol' boy.

Damn my head must be huge, mine are almost fully extended out haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back