HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 27, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #15,617 of 20,386

They are quite different, and focus on bass vs. focus on upper-mids/treble is probably a fair summation.  I'll add that my HE-500s dig pretty deep into sub-bass, whereas I find the X2s lacking in that area.  The X2s' emphasis on bass and overall warmth does not extend that low.  They still present a fair amount of detail, and I wouldn't say they're "veiled" like the HD 650s, if you find those Senns to be that way, but the HE-500s have more energy up there, and could be considered brighter.  My modded HE-500s have a wider sound stage, but I find the X2s to have marginally better imaging.  HE-500s have better separation.

That's what I hear, at least.  HTH.

The x2 indeed does not extend as low as the He-500 and is very slightly looser in comparison but for some music I prefer the x2s bass. X2's are pretty detailed they are on par with the He-500 just not as quick as them, I also find the x2 to sound smoother than HD 6xx although less smoother than the He-500, but sometimes the Treble on the He-500 can be a bit hot on some songs. 
I love them both, x2 has more head-time now because the bass sounds more speaker like (greater impact, while still being close to the HE-500) and much more comfortable. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #15,618 of 20,386
Just received my focus pad to use with HE-500, I could not comment on the sound difference yet since I've only have a 15min brief listening section, but the comfort department is much improved compared to the old velour pads. Well done on that HiFiMan
beerchug.gif

But beside the improvement, the QC is really subpar for these new pads.. when I arrived the shop today to collect my long ordered pads, the first pair have one of the clips broken, then when the second pair was taken out to me, one of the pads at was having the pleather at the back which is glued onto the mount half detached. turn out I have to get the two usable ones on each pair and the shop need to return the bad ones. it's really frustrating if someone is ordering online and turn out one of the pads are less than perfect to be used.. hope Hifiman could correct this issue soon.

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #15,619 of 20,386
  Just received my focus pad to use with HE-500, I could not comment on the sound difference yet since I've only have a 15min brief listening section, but the comfort department is much improved compared to the old velour pads. Well done on that HiFiMan
beerchug.gif

But beside the improvement, the QC is really subpar for these new pads.. when I arrived the shop today to collect my long ordered pads, the first pair have one of the clips broken, then when the second pair was taken out to me, one of the pads at was having the pleather at the back which is glued onto the mount half detached. turn out I have to get the two usable ones on each pair and the shop need to return the bad ones. it's really frustrating if someone is ordering online and turn out one of the pads are less than perfect to be used.. hope Hifiman could correct this issue soon.

It seems the QC woes continue.  Sorry to hear about your troubles, for you, of course, but also for HFM.

This is one reason I've either made my own or stuck some other company's pads on both my HFM cans.  And since the actual cans have no problems, I'm not inclined to sell either (HE-500s would be the ones to go), as I'd have to think long and hard about re-purchasing them, should I find myself missing them.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #15,620 of 20,386
My he500s are on the way. Russian post is a God's curse, so they proably arrive in 20 days... Pain of waiting :)
While read some negative rewievs here and on amazon. People saying, that a few problems exist, with an sonic knife "s" at the top of mid range, and the ringig treble. Is it true, and he500s can realy hurt with sibilance?

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #15,621 of 20,386
I find sibilance is more attributed to amplification and source, The HE500 will reproduce what you feed it......................It will not CREATE sibilance in my experience I find the High End just right

Enjoy

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #15,624 of 20,386
I find sibilance is more attributed to amplification and source, The HE500 will reproduce what you feed it......................It will not CREATE sibilance in my experience I find the High End just right

Enjoy

+1

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #15,625 of 20,386

Enjoy

Sibilance is usually the case of the recording or the headphones, not an amp. In the case of the HE-500, it's not the cause, we can agree on that.

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #15,626 of 20,386
Hey guys,

I had the following questions: I changed the Hifiman's pads let us say three times to check whether I prefer the velour or pleather ones. I remember that I had to use quite some force to make the plastic hooks 'snap'. In this process, I am sure that i must have 'scratched' the visible metal part with the plastic hooks. Do you think this would have damaged something or is the driver behind this metal part?

Cheers!

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #15,627 of 20,386
  Sibilance is usually the case of the recording or the headphones, not an amp. In the case of the HE-500, it's not the cause, we can agree on that.

I have had many an amp that played on the bright schrill side which made sibilance more evident, now that does not mean the amp causes the sibilance it means the amps sound signature makes the sibilance easier to hear................Thereby my statement that i would blame the amp or source more so than the headphones

I understand what you are saying, and I suppose in a way I can agree. 

I could also say that any component has the ability to bring sibilance forward, while not causing the sibilance itself. 

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #15,628 of 20,386
  I have had many an amp that played on the bright schrill side which made sibilance more evident, now that does not mean the amp causes the sibilance it means the amps sound signature makes the sibilance easier to hear................Thereby my statement that i would blame the amp or source more so than the headphones

I understand what you are saying, and I suppose in a way I can agree. 

I could also say that any component has the ability to bring sibilance forward, while not causing the sibilance itself. 

The only way an amp can bring sibilance forward is if it had a terrible peak in its FR. Who would buy such an amp? Who would make such an amp?

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #15,629 of 20,386
  Hey guys,

I had the following questions: I changed the Hifiman's pads let us say three times to check whether I prefer the velour or pleather ones. I remember that I had to use quite some force to make the plastic hooks 'snap'. In this process, I am sure that i must have 'scratched' the visible metal part with the plastic hooks. Do you think this would have damaged something or is the driver behind this metal part?

Cheers!

Nothing to worry about , the metal is just a frame for the magnets

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #15,630 of 20,386
  The only way an amp can bring sibilance forward is if it had a terrible peak in its FR. Who would buy such an amp? Who would make such an amp?

I get the impression you prefer to be argumentative for the sake of being so. Unlike you (Obviously) I have had to go through life experimenting with audio gear in order to achieve my desired results this has led me to superb equipment and poor equipment, I rarely take numbers / measurements / and manufacturer claims into consideration. I judge my purchases on actual user reviews. 

To answer your question I suppose I have been guilty of owning some offensive gear over the years, We can not all be perfect and get the perfect piece of gear right off the bat some of us plod our way through till we find the end

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back