Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Mar 12, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #14,176 of 14,386
Actually, when we hearing more bass, more treble at higher levels of a volume, it is good-old Fletcher–Munson curves in action :wink: And as you can see, >120db SPL has no graduated.
loudnesscurves.gif

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #14,177 of 14,386
PowerDAC V2 log: aluminum extrusion = done, CNC/sandblast/anodize = done :wink:
WeChat Image_20190328180344.jpg
#9038S log: electronics design = done(balanced 350mW@0dbfs@32ohm, THD<0.00025%@1kHz@-10dbfs, THD<0.0005%@1kHz@-3dbfs S/N<-120dbA, over 4000uF of capacitors on board, USB-C, 48x22.9x9.8mm), ID iterations = done.
9038S_BOTTOM_VERTICAL.jpg 9038S_BOTTOM_VERTICAL_GLASS.jpg 9038S_TOP_VERTICAL.jpg 9038S_BOTTOM_HORIZINTAL.jpg 9038S_TOP_HORIZINTAL.jpg

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #14,180 of 14,386
Hi guys, what's up? I Just back from extrusion factory with 50m of #9038S profile. It looks damn compact and fit my balcony no problem, #9038S PCBA also very well fits into the aluminum case. I dropped #9038S with my old&dirty flash down to compare the size, and the flash looks huge vs 350mW USB_DAC+HPA with SNR -122dbA and THD+N .0004%(few days ago remeasured that specs with AP SYS-2702)!
WeChat Image_20190429113552.jpg WeChat Image_20190429115108.jpg

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #14,181 of 14,386
Picked up a pre-owned pair of these cans for 90 bucks and by god I've been enjoying them! The previous owner had even done the 'grill mod' and also put on a pair of leather pads on them. They might be the end of the line for me for the foreseeable future (and I haven't even gotten the opportunity to use them with my schitt stack at home!)

May 9, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #14,183 of 14,386
Picked up a new pair of these headphones this week and just thought i'd drop my impressions if anyone in similar circumstances reads this and considers buying them. Bought my HE-400i as an upgrade from the HD598 which i've had for years. Loved those headphones and still do but figured it was time to look for a replacement with the headband etc detoriating on my old ones.

I'm running these from my PC using NAD D 1050 as amp/DAC. Seems like a good combo. 20% volume is loud enough in windows with the amp volume turned to max and the sound is very clean.

I can't drop any technical terms etc i'll just give my honest review after AB testing them against my old HD598 for a couple hours. NOTE: this is comparing a 3hour burn in 400i vs HD598 played probably 5000 hours or more.

BASS:
  1. Amount/strength: the difference is minimal, 4% more maybe on the HE-400i. A little dissapointed in this
  2. Quality: Definitely a bit tighter and more defined/detailed
  • Conclusion: the he-400i is probably technically better if you asked anyone on here, but to my ears it doesn't sound a lot better but just different to the HD598's. Hoping with time it'll grow more on me, currently a little disappointed as bass is very underwhelming on the HD598's. I tried messing around with EQ settings in foobar and it does exist in the cans, i think I might figure out a way to enjoy bass heavy music more if I try.
Vocal clarity:
  1. I loved the clarity and detail in my HD598's, it's the reason why i've kept it and not upgraded for well over 5 years. The HE-400i was an instant massive upgrade here. Just unbelievable how much more clean and detailed the HE-400i is. When I go back to my HD598's now it feels like there's a veil over the recordings hiding and muddying things.
  2. My favorite type of music is intimate live performances with few instruments and clear vocals and here the HE-400i destroys the HD598 according to my ears. And that was my favorite thing to listen to on my HD598's.
Instruments:
  1. HE-400i has more clarity here as well. I haven't listened that closely or to a large variety yet, but there's a clear improvement. When I go back and forth it's that veil of muddyness(that i didn't even know existed before I put the He-400i on) you feel is gone when listening on the HE-400i in comparison.
  2. I don't listen to classical or orchestral music and i've not gotten around to comparing my favorite instrumental soundtracks so I can't compare instruments that much.
In more technical terms I think it's the mids is where the HE-400i completely destroys the HD598's. Acoustic guitar and vocals basically is night and day better. Detail, musicality and everything else.

• Conclusion: Big upgrade in my book here. Night and day is how i'd describe it, and I loved my HD598's.
Soundstage and separation:

1. Still to be determined I think. It's good no doubt about it. Gut feeling is soundstage on HD598 is bigger/wider, but because of detail and clarity of HE-400i the separation sounds better. For music there's no doubt I prefer HE-400i, but for gaming I think the HD598 might be better. I have not gotten around to testing yet.
  • conclusion: Upgrade when it comes to music
Comfort:

In my opinion both pairs are very comfortable. No complaints as of yet and i'd probably put them around even. HE-400i clamps harder as they are brand new and this decreases comfort, but my HD598's have been worn probably 5k hours so they obviously clamp less now than when new.

Overall: Worth the money, plain and simple. Not much more to say than that really. Happy with my purchase as it took the music I like to another level. Would've liked if it improved EDM/hiphop more than it did, but whatever.

May 9, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #14,184 of 14,386
Listening to some vintage Dream Theater ~ Images and Words on the 400i's powered by my LD MKIII through the SS outputs of the MA DAC, fan-freakin-tastic! Speed, speed, speed. These cans have some serious speed ability on the bass and drums! I think the LD is holding them back a bit on speed but still a great fun listen. I'm getting old man...DreamTheater an LD MKIII being fed by an old NAD C542 vintage CD player but I'm smiling! I'm smiling!!

May 10, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #14,185 of 14,386
Picked up a new pair of these headphones this week and just thought i'd drop my impressions if anyone in similar circumstances reads this and considers buying them. Bought my HE-400i as an upgrade from the HD598 which i've had for years. Loved those headphones and still do but figured it was time to look for a replacement with the headband etc detoriating on my old ones.

I'm running these from my PC using NAD D 1050 as amp/DAC. Seems like a good combo. 20% volume is loud enough in windows with the amp volume turned to max and the sound is very clean.

I can't drop any technical terms etc i'll just give my honest review after AB testing them against my old HD598 for a couple hours. NOTE: this is comparing a 3hour burn in 400i vs HD598 played probably 5000 hours or more.

BASS:
  1. Amount/strength: the difference is minimal, 4% more maybe on the HE-400i. A little dissapointed in this
  2. Quality: Definitely a bit tighter and more defined/detailed
  • Conclusion: the he-400i is probably technically better if you asked anyone on here, but to my ears it doesn't sound a lot better but just different to the HD598's. Hoping with time it'll grow more on me, currently a little disappointed as bass is very underwhelming on the HD598's. I tried messing around with EQ settings in foobar and it does exist in the cans, i think I might figure out a way to enjoy bass heavy music more if I try.
Vocal clarity:
  1. I loved the clarity and detail in my HD598's, it's the reason why i've kept it and not upgraded for well over 5 years. The HE-400i was an instant massive upgrade here. Just unbelievable how much more clean and detailed the HE-400i is. When I go back to my HD598's now it feels like there's a veil over the recordings hiding and muddying things.
  2. My favorite type of music is intimate live performances with few instruments and clear vocals and here the HE-400i destroys the HD598 according to my ears. And that was my favorite thing to listen to on my HD598's.
Instruments:
  1. HE-400i has more clarity here as well. I haven't listened that closely or to a large variety yet, but there's a clear improvement. When I go back and forth it's that veil of muddyness(that i didn't even know existed before I put the He-400i on) you feel is gone when listening on the HE-400i in comparison.
  2. I don't listen to classical or orchestral music and i've not gotten around to comparing my favorite instrumental soundtracks so I can't compare instruments that much.
In more technical terms I think it's the mids is where the HE-400i completely destroys the HD598's. Acoustic guitar and vocals basically is night and day better. Detail, musicality and everything else.

• Conclusion: Big upgrade in my book here. Night and day is how i'd describe it, and I loved my HD598's.
Soundstage and separation:

1. Still to be determined I think. It's good no doubt about it. Gut feeling is soundstage on HD598 is bigger/wider, but because of detail and clarity of HE-400i the separation sounds better. For music there's no doubt I prefer HE-400i, but for gaming I think the HD598 might be better. I have not gotten around to testing yet.
  • conclusion: Upgrade when it comes to music
Comfort:

In my opinion both pairs are very comfortable. No complaints as of yet and i'd probably put them around even. HE-400i clamps harder as they are brand new and this decreases comfort, but my HD598's have been worn probably 5k hours so they obviously clamp less now than when new.

Overall: Worth the money, plain and simple. Not much more to say than that really. Happy with my purchase as it took the music I like to another level. Would've liked if it improved EDM/hiphop more than it did, but whatever.
*cough*
Two points:
  • Regarding bass: coming from dynamic drivers to planars for the first time, there's significant amount of 'brain burn-in' to acknowledge. If your brain isn't accustomed to distortion free bass, especially sub-bass, it takes a couple of weeks for your brain to even understand what's going on; what are you hearing. Try to make the comparison in a few weeks, and you might be surprised. HD598 has serious roll-off in the lower frequencies and a mid-bass hump along with rising distortion the lower you go, which is common to dynamic drivers. The thing is, you're hearing bass as it's 'supposed' to sound with the 400i. Not in a general friendly to the ears, lower-quality speaker-emulating-way, where you might be missing a lot of information; when there's information to be received.
  • Regarding clarity/instruments; mid-range: I think the mid-range is a bit off with the 400i, I wouldn't call it sounding 'true to life', it's not exactly natural or organic when it comes to recorded instruments/voice. It has a slight 'metallic' sheen to it; which makes the instruments sound just a little bit off. It's not exactly 400i's strong suit, and I think the HD598 beats 400i in this single aspect.
In conclusion, 400i with the lightning fast drivers and other characteristics; especially the slightly unnatural tizziness and aggressiveness, is a very good match for well produced electronic music in general. Not so for hip-hop with lower quality production values, where the mid-bass hump would be welcomed, and where you're actually better off not knowing what happens exactly in the lower extremes.

May 11, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #14,186 of 14,386
I have had the HE-400i for well over a year, and I still hear some distortion in the midrange of acoustic piano. I hear zero distortion in piano tones on my other headphone (Focal Clear, HD-600, AKG K702).

May 12, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #14,187 of 14,386
Not sure if anyone’s using the old Audeze vegan pads with these?

Really brings them to life imo

Been using this combo out of speaker taps from a spare avr (nothing fancy) and it still keeps up with anything I compare it to.

For $100 give or take used, and the right pads and amp- I think you’re getting 95% of what’s available in headphone audio

Incredible value hp IMO

May 12, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #14,188 of 14,386
I have had the HE-400i for well over a year, and I still hear some distortion in the midrange of acoustic piano. I hear zero distortion in piano tones on my other headphone (Focal Clear, HD-600, AKG K702).

Hmmm...I have some piano recordings from the Narada label, I'll have to take a listen to and see\hear if I detect a distortion.
Is it a specific tune or just all piano on the 400i?

May 12, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #14,189 of 14,386
Hmmm...I have some piano recordings from the Narada label, I'll have to take a listen to and see\hear if I detect a distortion.
Is it a specific tune or just all piano on the 400i?

All the well-recorded acoustic piano had a fuzzy distortion in the middle of the keyboard and higher. I used the best solo/concerto recordings I have: Nojima Plays Liszt, Sudbin plays Scarlatti (first disc), Mozart concerto recordings with Uchida/Cleveland Orchestra.

May 12, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #14,190 of 14,386
pbarach, could you please upload particular track where you feell distortions, short one? What is the amp you using? I hear no distortions in mids(piano as well good, I've Yundi plays Chopin) but can notice low-end freqs turbulence noise, probably I can try other pads if want to fix. Actually, I've uploaded one track here https://yadi.sk/d/ka1-hRImw0lR4w could you please let me know do you hear distortion there? I hear no distortions, however, at 1:15 I think I hear Yundi's grand isn't ideally tuned yet :wink:
PS: Guys I've prepared to publish my PowerDAC V2 Android App, if someone can review that(without HW it works in Demo-mode)? I'll appreciate it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z6Ia-rKUsStK3zJ5CzVUgFL_OMTbSE2q

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back