Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 8, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #13,951 of 14,386
DavidA, you are right, the PowerDAC was designed especially for he400i, and particularly for my own. As I mentioned, it is not really amp but rather high power DAC with 5V peak output. I try to keep that project alive and don't put it in the drawer of my desk as a dead idea, because it is a damn beautiful idea. I've sent to hifiman email about that, they didn't reply yet. Which subforum could you recommend me for that toy?
PS: I've finished assembling and testing for the first sample, and I've got 3x times less THD+N at 0dbfs level than I had with my very first proto i.e. now THD+N = .012% instead of .03%. Lower than -1.5db level THD = .00*%. No feedback!!11 I'm pretty sure that no one here even heard open-loop "amp" just because a good linearity is only possible for digitally generated PWM. All an analog HP amps have feedback anyway, even if current-local one around a E-followers it is a feedback ))
WeChat-Image_20180908142203.jpg

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #13,952 of 14,386
@E1DA, since its for the HE400i then I'd suggest you keep it here since its related to the thread and maybe someone else might want to build their own if you think its a good improvement over similar cost DACs/amps and I sure would like to hear what you think of them in comparison to other DACs/amps that you have on hand.

Sep 8, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #13,953 of 14,386
DavidA, the number I called was the BOM cost i.e. I spend my money to order parts, for delivering parts, and I solder it by myself i.e. free. So it is about $30/unit, and this is far not optimal just because it is prototyping as is(for example, I forgot to buy enough quantity of the output inductors, and ordered once again so need to add to the BOM $2 more for local delivering service, today I found not enough lm1117-3.3, very cheap IC, hence +$2 again etc). Usually, the retail cost being 4-10 times more than BOM, hence the PowerDAC TOY need to be compared vs DAC+AMP $120 at least. The true digital open-loop power "amps"(Ti make it for 4-8ohm speakers) aka Power DACs are on the market but still expensive and not really popular due to quite bad objective specs such as THD(.1%@-3db) and S/N(PSRR related problem). The reason is semiconductors technology only today start to offer ultra fast GaAs mosfets for such kind of task, and it is again crazy expensive. Headphones, unlike Speakers, need 10-100 times less currents and voltages to produce decent SPL, and fortunately technology 20 years ready for getting THD = .01% at 0dbfs with trivial logic gates tied in parallel. So the toy what I show you is the chance to overtake time with quite old tech :wink:

Sep 15, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #13,954 of 14,386
I just wanted to make an update to my impression on these headphones. I've had the 400i hooked to a head amp and playing constantly for almost 3 weeks now. I have not really listened to them a whole lot since I've been going back and forth between the other headphones I have. I got a custom cable for them that works very well and also just got the Dekoni fenestrated lambskin pads. The sound signature on these right now is extremely smooth. That is the biggest difference I notice from them compared to their original not burned in stock form. The bass response is the same. Its not ultra deep like my LCD-2C, but is plenty for me to enjoy some good electronic music. The highs have been tamed alot however, and I can't help to think that in some ways the 400i is seen smoother than the LCD-2C. I've only had the LCD-2C for a couple of days, but supposedly they are pre burned in at the factory? In any case the 400i with the pads and cable mods are very pleasing for late night relaxing music like jazz, classical, or even some edm if you don't want to be blasted in the brain with bass. I'm very pleased with these so far, and even with the cost of the cable and ear pads factored in I have to say that the end result is worth it o me. The Dekoni fenestrated pads are much more comfortable for me though, and this alone makes the listening experience more immersive.

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #13,955 of 14,386
DavidA, I've noticed the LCD2 sensitivity is crazy higher than he400i(around 10db!), do you feel that when both are powered from the same amp? In fact, the same amp will work with much less stress with the same SPL outcome in case of Audeze, and it may be noticeable.

Sep 16, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #13,956 of 14,386
DavidA, I've noticed the LCD2 sensitivity is crazy higher than he400i(around 10db!), do you feel that when both are powered from the same amp? In fact, the same amp will work with much less stress with the same SPL outcome in case of Audeze, and it may be noticeable.
The LCD-2f that I have is a bit louder than my HE400i on the same amp at the same volume but it doesn't sound like 10dB, about 3-4dB using a meter

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #13,957 of 14,386
You know what, I start to think that he400i are few models actually named as he400i. I see some complains regarding 8kHz peak which he400i has and I saw some DIY measurement with flat-back instead of artificial-ear, where that 8kHz peak was seen. My he400i, measured the same way, has no such peak at all, but quite similar low/mid frequency response. My he400i is 43ohm but according to hte specs should be 35ohm i.e. +23%. Now the same mismatch regarding the sensitivity, 3db vs LCD2 it is kind of ok just add 2x times more power, 9db means 8 times in terms of power. So I suspect there are few different modifications of that HP.

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #13,958 of 14,386
FWIW my HE400i is from 2014, SMC jacks with the backplate, Its also been modded with sorbothane, and new more open grill. It did sound a bit different from the 2 newer HE400i with 2.5mm jacks and no backplate that I've heard but as far as sensitivity I can't remember them being at different levels but its been quite a while since I've heard a newer HE400i.

Sep 30, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #13,964 of 14,386
High-end to me is a headphone/chain that sounds amazing with everything you put through it. When it comes to that, I've got my endgame.

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #13,965 of 14,386
High-end to me is a headphone/chain that sounds amazing with everything you put through it. When it comes to that, I've got my endgame.
A nice definition but do you believe there is a headphone + chain out there that sounds amazing to you?

I'm on the other side where I think anything decent will usually sound good to me and I like the differences / unique sounds between headphones/DAC/amp combinations, would get boring if everything sounded the same :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back