Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 5, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #10,756 of 14,386
As I just moved to the 560 I'll more than likely sell my beloved 400i.. been an amazing journey... Shame, just made a nice mobile cable for it too. For those wondering, the 560 has a bit more down low with the treble being smoother in transition. The overall sound is much smoother and timbre is more correct. The 400i however has faster decay. Still, for the price 400i is an amazing ride.

May I ask where you got those 2.5mm plugs?  I've been looking for some without success. Thanks

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #10,757 of 14,386
Well I placed an order for my pair, can't wait  
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #10,759 of 14,386
  Any 400i owners that have or had the HD650?  How do the 400i compare in terms of comfort?  I find the clamping on the 650 too much (even after stretching).  Thanks.

For having both, I personally find the clamping on my HE-400i way stronger & less comfortable overall in comparaison to the HD650 (but seems to be reduced with HM5 pads which seems also paradoxal, maybe I got more used to it) 

p.S: the 400i were bought new while the HD650 used so I don't know how much it influence or not the clamoing force 

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #10,760 of 14,386
Any 400i owners that have or had the HD650?  How do the 400i compare in terms of comfort?  I find the clamping on the 650 too much (even after stretching).  Thanks.

Straight out of the box the HE400i clamps slightly more than the HD650. However, since the HE400i's apparatus is just spring steel, you can simply stretch it. After I stretched out my HE400i it was tied with the HD800 for most comfortable headphone I've ever owned.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #10,761 of 14,386
I have some initial impressions after a few days with the he-400i. Keep in mind that this is my first open eared headphone.

The first thing I notice is that the bass, while tight and accurate, is not very prominent. I'm not using the best amplification yet, so I'm not sure if the bass impact and quantity would increase with a better amp. Compared to my RHA MHA750 IEMs and AT-M50x the bass presence is noticeably less in quantity and slam. I'm actually hearing it roll off quite a bit in volume below maybe 80 hz. Personally this takes a bit of 'fun' out of the headphone.

Lower mids to upper mids are more forward and elevated in the sound signature. I'm liking the amount of detail here for things like acoustic guitar and vocals.

The treble has a good amount of sparkle. Maybe more than I'm accustomed to coming from warmer, smoother IEMs. It only really gets sibilant at higher volumes for me, though my ears are rather sensitive to high frequencies.

I can't speak to much about soundstage and imaging at this point, but I will note that this headphone separates instruments better than any headphone I currently own.

Overall, I'm liking these headphones. They sound detailed and are very comfortable. Listening to something like Daft Punk's Random Access Memories (24/96 HD Tracks) leaves a little to be desired. I'm picking up all the little details, but my home speaker setup (Monitor Audio Silver s10) and IEMs (RHA MA750) are a little more satisfying thanks to the fuller bass down low.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #10,762 of 14,386
  I have some initial impressions after a few days with the he-400i. Keep in mind that this is my first open eared headphone.

The first thing I notice is that the bass, while tight and accurate, is not very prominent. I'm not using the best amplification yet, so I'm not sure if the bass impact and quantity would increase with a better amp. Compared to my RHA MHA750 IEMs and AT-M50x the bass presence is noticeably less in quantity and slam. I'm actually hearing it roll off quite a bit in volume below maybe 80 hz. Personally this takes a bit of 'fun' out of the headphone.

Lower mids to upper mids are more forward and elevated in the sound signature. I'm liking the amount of detail here for things like acoustic guitar and vocals.

The treble has a good amount of sparkle. Maybe more than I'm accustomed to coming from warmer, smoother IEMs. It only really gets sibilant at higher volumes for me, though my ears are rather sensitive to high frequencies.

I can't speak to much about soundstage and imaging at this point, but I will note that this headphone separates instruments better than any headphone I currently own.

Overall, I'm liking these headphones. They sound detailed and are very comfortable. Listening to something like Daft Punk's Random Access Memories (24/96 HD Tracks) leaves a little to be desired. I'm picking up all the little details, but my home speaker setup (Monitor Audio Silver s10) and IEMs (RHA MA750) are a little more satisfying thanks to the fuller bass down low.

That sounds about right. I recently got the 400I's and was running them on a mica origen+ and felt the same way. I then piped the lineout from the mica to my hifiman EF-2A and found that to be enough to start tickling the 400i's to life. The bass extension is much more pronounced, and while they dont (and likely wont due to design) slam like the m50x or other basshead setups they are very controlled and distrotion free down low. Are they as awesome as a few hundred/thousand watts into big woofers, no. But with a little EQ tweaking and some more power they are pretty fantastic without destroying the bank. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #10,763 of 14,386
Straight out of the box the HE400i clamps slightly more than the HD650. However, since the HE400i's apparatus is just spring steel, you can simply stretch it. After I stretched out my HE400i it was tied with the HD800 for most comfortable headphone I've ever owned.

I agree. I find the HE400i to be my most comfortable headphone. It fit well out of the box, so I did not need to stretch it.
I find the HD650 reasonably comfortable, but they can crowd my ears just a bit (obviously an individual issue). 

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #10,764 of 14,386

That sounds about right. I recently got the 400I's and was running them on a mica origen+ and felt the same way. I then piped the lineout from the mica to my hifiman EF-2A and found that to be enough to start tickling the 400i's to life. The bass extension is much more pronounced, and while they dont (and likely wont due to design) slam like the m50x or other basshead setups they are very controlled and distrotion free down low. Are they as awesome as a few hundred/thousand watts into big woofers, no. But with a little EQ tweaking and some more power they are pretty fantastic without destroying the bank. 

I guess it would make sense that the hifiman EF-2A would be a good match for the 400i's.

Does anyone have a comparison between the EF-2A and the Schiit Magni 2 or Vali 2 with the 400i? These amps are all similarly priced.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #10,765 of 14,386
I guess it would make sense that the hifiman EF-2A would be a good match for the 400i's.

Does anyone have a comparison between the EF-2A and the Schiit Magni 2 or Vali 2 with the 400i? These amps are all similarly priced.

The Vali2 is better straight out of the box. I like the ef95 tube family which the EF2C uses (the EF2C is the ef2a with an upgraded volume pot) better than the tube the Vali uses for tube rolling. But the Vali2 as an amp, tubes aside, is slightly better than the EF2C. If you get the EF2C there are two things to know: 1) don't use its built in DAC, it's complete garbage 2) get the Voshkod NOS tubes. I like my EF2C quite a bit, but only after upgrading the tubes. It's stock tubes are pretty mediocre and harsh.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #10,766 of 14,386
I amp using the Voshkod Tubes in my EF2a, the DAC sounded great until i used other DACs. I eventually want to hook up a bigger amp for some future headphone purchases but at the moment it does VERY good. The EF2a internal dac has a nasty hum at any volume, likely USB noise. Even from a high end motherboard with all the EMI there it just couldnt handle it. Im using Optical to the origen+ which doesn't have that issue, and frees up a USB port. Additionally, while its out of stock here there IS a Amp only version of the EF2 series, called the EF3 Sadly i missed it, since its EXACTLY what i wanted and would let me move my EF2a to another location. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #10,767 of 14,386
I amp using the Voshkod Tubes in my EF2a, the DAC sounded great until i used other DACs. I eventually want to hook up a bigger amp for some future headphone purchases but at the moment it does VERY good. 

Yeah, the DAC is just weird. Honestly most of the time it sounds better to just skip the DAC and straight amp either your phone or computer's output via a .375mm to RCA cable. But with those voshkods the EF2C is quite good and deserves to be fed a quality DAC.

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #10,768 of 14,386
Yup, im currently investigating a DAC for my iphone at work, but the whole wanting toe listen and charge thing is giving some headaches. I know the EF2A on my M50x with the headphone out of the iphone sounds actually quite nice though, so i may just be doing that for a while until i have to bite the bullet and get a TRSlessphone. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #10,769 of 14,386
Yup, im currently investigating a DAC for my iphone at work, but the whole wanting toe listen and charge thing is giving some headaches. I know the EF2A on my M50x with the headphone out of the iphone sounds actually quite nice though, so i may just be doing that for a while until i have to bite the bullet and get a TRSlessphone. 

Get this, it allows you to charge and use the lighting out of your iPhone simultaneously. : Lightning To Usb Camera Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F7KJDIM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_VaVByb28ZS1KM

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #10,770 of 14,386
The Vali2 is better straight out of the box. I like the ef95 tube family which the EF2C uses (the EF2C is the ef2a with an upgraded volume pot) better than the tube the Vali uses for tube rolling. But the Vali2 as an amp, tubes aside, is slightly better than the EF2C. If you get the EF2C there are two things to know: 1) don't use its built in DAC, it's complete garbage 2) get the Voshkod NOS tubes. I like my EF2C quite a bit, but only after upgrading the tubes. It's stock tubes are pretty mediocre and harsh.

I'm pretty keen on owning something made my Schiit. I really like that they manufacture in the US. Couldn't I just upgrade the tubes in it instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back