Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 6, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #10,786 of 14,386
Marty, just EQ the low-end a little and you'll be quite happy for the price. I hope the connector bit sorts itself out - try a little deox-it if you can. That stuff works wonders.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #10,787 of 14,386

It's worth connecting the cables the wrong way around, to see if the fault swaps sides- just to satisfy curiosity about what's wrong.

Sadly, HFM's quality control is very patchy, in comparison to the likes of Sennheiser or Focal. If you get a good unit, you're golden, but if not, it can be a nightmare. I hope that you got them from a dealer with decent service/returns!

I did try that, the left was still dead right was fine.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #10,790 of 14,386

Ick.. best case, dodgy connector in the cup. Worse case, failed driver, which isn't uncommon in HFM planars. Sorry, I am probably being Captain Obvious here.. hope you get it sorted, or a swift refund/replacement.

Yeah it seems like iffy wiring in the cup to me, not great considering how much you pay for them. It is intermittent though, and I can't seem to make it happen on demand. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #10,791 of 14,386
Sure can. My point was, for my tastes, I slightly prefer the type of tube the EF2C uses to the type the Vali2 uses. But by no means does everybody agree on that. The Vali2 is a great amp (and I say this as somebody who hated the Vali 1) and with a gold lion on there, it's actually quite formidable and can hold its own against amps multiple times it's price.

The other point I was going to make is that you shouldn't even consider the EF2C if you're going to use the stock tube. The Vali2 with stock tube runs circles around the EF2C with stock tubes.

If you just want a "buy it and forget it" amp: Vali2 hands down. If you want to tube roll, the question is a bit trickier. If you just want a Schiit amp, buy the Vali2 and don't think twice about it, it's great.

Thank you for the recommendation!

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #10,800 of 14,386
Since the price is going back up, now at $279. These worth the money compared to hd600 ?

Before buying mine (265$US in Canada), did quite a bit of search, one was going through the rank the headphones you own thread, and they were in majority ranked above the 650 and 600.  On Amazon.com the 600 doesn't seem any cheaper, so in that case I think it's safe to say yes.  VS the massdrop 200$ 6xx, I guess it depends how much you value 80$ vs the performance difference...  But most who had both seemed to prefer 400i soo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back