Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 25, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #10,096 of 14,386

Hmm,
are they a newer product? I can't recall sheepskin being an available product in the spring/summer at least, might be wrong though.
The pleather stretches/can be worked a bit, which enables the installation to the official HiFiMAN ring, if the sheepskin doesn't, it might be a real pain in the ass/close to impossible to install them.

http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-sheep-skin-leather-angled

I don't know if they are new but they exist!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/781884/e-mu-wooden-series-headphones/360#post_12959550

There they both are tested on the same headphone.
Although the angled pleather have not the same effect on sound than on the 400i he describes a huge difference between the two.
So i think i will go with the pleather!

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #10,097 of 14,386
Just received my Lawton angle pads couple of days back, and am genuinely surprised what a change of pads can do to the sound of the 400i's. So far, noticed a deeper extension of bass, and perhaps because of the wider angle, there seems to be increased soundstage as well.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #10,098 of 14,386
could live only 6 months without he400i, ordered again :wink: and with black friday prices that was a no brainier at all. 

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #10,101 of 14,386
@gugman

Contacted Mark directly via the email listed on his website: http://www.lawtonaudio.com/hifimananglepads.html

Very quick response time, considering that these pads are made to order; from payment to receiving of the item (in Singapore) in about 2 weeks.

Costs US$109 + P&H per pair.

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #10,104 of 14,386
  I've got and use K7xx right now, would the HE400i be worth the purchase at $250 new?  As a direct upgrade from the K7xx.  These cyber deals are insane.

I have both and much prefer the 400i. The 7xx is a great headphone though

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #10,105 of 14,386
  Just received my Lawton angle pads couple of days back, and am genuinely surprised what a change of pads can do to the sound of the 400i's. So far, noticed a deeper extension of bass, and perhaps because of the wider angle, there seems to be increased soundstage as well.

These pads look really nice.  Are they totally plug and play, or did they need some modification?  Do you think they're worth the asking price?

I'm trying to determine if its worth upgrading the pads and cable on my 400i.  I just got them a few days ago for $250, so pads and cable upgrade would practically be the cost of the phones themselves.

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #10,106 of 14,386
  I have both and much prefer the 400i. The 7xx is a great headphone though

Well, that certainly helps.  All I know so far is that they're a step up from the HD650, and K7xx and almost all the way to the HE500 / HE560.  They're cheaper than the HE400S today, too, so I plunged and just bought 'em.  Now I just gotta get the Schiit Modi 2 Multibit, and Magni 2 Uber.  In a year or so the next step is the HE-Xv2 and Lyr 2 + Bifrost Multibit.

Nov 26, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #10,108 of 14,386
These pads look really nice.  Are they totally plug and play, or did they need some modification?  Do you think they're worth the asking price?

I'm trying to determine if its worth upgrading the pads and cable on my 400i.  I just got them a few days ago for $250, so pads and cable upgrade would practically be the cost of the phones themselves.

Every pad that isn't made by HiFiMan will need a mounting ring. Only HiFiMan uses their mounting ring. Most people buy a pair of HiFiMan velours and cut the ring out. There's been some talk of 3D printing them, but I haven't seen anybody actually do it.

I have an extra pair of Lawton pads I'd be willing to sell if anybody is interested. They're super nice, but I just prefer the stock pads on the THX00

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #10,109 of 14,386
Every pad that isn't made by HiFiMan will need a mounting ring. Only HiFiMan uses their mounting ring. Most people buy a pair of HiFiMan velours and cut the ring out. There's been some talk of 3D printing them, but I haven't seen anybody actually do it.

I have an extra pair of Lawton pads I'd be willing to sell if anybody is interested. They're super nice, but I just prefer the stock pads on the THX00

Do the lawton pads need the mounting ring as well?  Are they new or used?

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #10,110 of 14,386
Do the lawton pads need the mounting ring as well?  Are they new or used?

Only HiFiMan pads have the mounting ring. I used the Lawton pads for about 3 months on my THX00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back