Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MattTCG, Jan 8, 2014.
First

Back
663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672
674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683
Next

Last
  1. Vartan
    I order one, HeadAmp is the best!
    $224 for HE-400i

All Head-Fi members take 10% off any headphone at HeadAmp.com when you use promo code HEADFI10 (excludes STAX).
    Free Worldwide Shipping on All Eligible Headphones and Accessories over $99​

HeadAmp - All our HE400i stock is the newer type with 2.5mm TS plug connectors on both earcups.

www.headamp.com/order/hifiman-he400i-planar-magnetic-headphones/

2. James Myers
    The requested pics of my cotton mod/  Pretty simple: tear up some cotton balls and put them in front of the drive.  Do a little experimenting and you can tune them to your personal preference.  I also tried felt and toilet paper in front of the drive, but nothing worked quite as well as the cotton balls.

IMG_20161122_193736.jpg

IMG_20161122_193741.jpg

HE400iCotton3.jpg

3. katzolik
    wow.. thats a lot cotton! looks like they would sound muffled ^^
    but its worth a try!
    is this your final setup?

Other topic:

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/accessories/velour-earpads.html
    Have these still the removable rings? or are they glued now to? 

4. James Myers
    That's what I thought, but no, they don't sound muffled.  You may have to turn up your amp a tiny bit though. 

I believe those are the pads I bought to remove the rings.  They were glued in, I just had to rip em out

5. drwlf

Removable, cheapest option.

6. caecillius
    Has anyone tried 3D printing the earpad rings? I saw a design for it and wondered if it was any better than buying them, or at least faster/cheaper.

7. Gimpinchair
    Hey guys, I've been enjoying my 400i's for about a year now. This was my first ever headphone purchase and I have an itch to try some closed-back headphones within a similar price range and sound signature. I realize there will be differences due the open nature of the 400i's, but I've done a little research and here are some HP's under consideration:

(In no particular order)

Oppo PM-3
    Meze 99
    Focal Spirit Classic
    Shure SRH1540
    Fostex TH610
    Final Audio Sonorous III

My listening habits are a bit eclectic, e.g. Blues, Rock, Jazz, Funky 70's, R&B, and recently I've taken to listening to movie soundtracks. All help would be much appreciated.

P.S. My only DAC/Amp is the Oppo HA-1

8. 05stisilver

9. WriterHead

Oppo PM3 is the most similar to the HE400i

10. pulse sound
    I would suggest Final Audio Sonorous 6, i havent try sonorous 8 yet but sonorous 6 is very impressive. fairly wide soundstage and sweet sweet mids and high. 

11. Gimpinchair

Nice, but about $400 over budget.

12. tgaguirre
    Question about HE400s vs HE400i?

I had a pair of HE400s headphones and I just got a new pair of HE400i headphones.

My impressions are that then HE400i's are quite a bit harder to drive than the HE400s although they had a bit more bass but frankly I didn't find the sound signatures all that much different and I kinda like that fact that the HE400s are easier to drive.  The pads on the 400i's are nicer but otherwise they are similar headphones.

Am I way off on this?  

For those that have heard both, what are your impressions??

13. pulse sound
    ohh, didnt realise it was so expensive now, i bought a second hand unit at quite low price :/ i would suggest oppo pm3 too. but the sound stage is a bit narrow imo. if the fostex 610 is similiar to their massdrop fostex x00 series, its a good choice too. 

14. katzolik
    Do you guys have ever tested the HM5 angled sheepskin?
    Will they sound different to the HM5 angled Pleathers?

Also is there even a comfort or longevity difference?
    are they stiffer or softer than the Pleather?

A lot of question marks =D
    they are not a lot pricier here..

15. drwlf

Hmm,
    are they a newer product? I can't recall sheepskin being an available product in the spring/summer at least, might be wrong though.
    The pleather stretches/can be worked a bit, which enables the installation to the official HiFiMAN ring, if the sheepskin doesn't, it might be a real pain in the ass/close to impossible to install them.

First

Back
663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672
674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683
Next

Last