Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 26, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #9,736 of 14,386
  Ok.. This sounds a bit strange though. I'd say my 400i's are one of the most forward sounding HP I've owned. You'd think that with that much leakage there'd be more air. Hmmm..

the leakage is because planar designs produce equal wavefronts on the front and back.  So the leakage isn't from the front of the driver, but rather the back of the driver.  So, that means that "air" might not leak into the ear cup as easily as sounds "leak" out.  Air would have to vibrate through the diaphragm, while the sound from the driver doesn't since it's created on both sides of the driver equally.  

on a dynamic headphone, the "ear side" of the driver actually produces a MUCH stronger wave form than the back side of the driver.

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #9,737 of 14,386

the leakage is because planar designs produce equal wavefronts on the front and back.  So the leakage isn't from the front of the driver, but rather the back of the driver.  So, that means that "air" might not leak into the ear cup as easily as sounds "leak" out.  Air would have to vibrate through the diaphragm, while the sound from the driver doesn't since it's created on both sides of the driver equally.  

on a dynamic headphone, the "ear side" of the driver actually produces a MUCH stronger wave form than the back side of the driver.

That makes sense. I love them, but I just wished they had a little more air.  But, I have different wishes like that for every HP I have. Nothing's ever perfect. :smirk:

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #9,739 of 14,386
  Anyone have thoughts on how well Classical is played through these? Want to listen to more and cant really compare to other headphones. :)

Classical sounds great with the 400i, but because they are revealing it will show you how bad recordings really sound.

Here are two classical tracks I like with the 400i:

Artist: London Philharmonic Orchestra & David Parry
Album: The 50 Greatest Pieces of Classical Music
Track: String Quintet In e Major, Op. 13: Minuet

Artist: Gino D'Auri
Album: Audiophile Reference I - Classical Music
Track: Guajira Antiguan

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #9,740 of 14,386
I listen to about 80% classical. Highly recommend these headphones for that purpose. Some stellar demos:
Harnoncourt doing Mozart Requiem
Fritz Reiner Scheherazade
Karajan Also Sprach Zarathustra
Solti's ring
Boult conducting Vaughan williams
Beethoven 9th/RPO/Leibowitz (Chesky)

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #9,742 of 14,386
@Chillzone21, cool looking Abyss clone there
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #9,748 of 14,386
I really wanted to love this HP - but I couldn't. I gave them a full week of use, so I think if it's just a matter of waiting for our hearing (ears / brain) to adjust that I gave them a fair shot.
Nothing wrong with them, just that they weren't, to my tastes, enough of an improvement on my existing cans to keep. 

They seemed (to me) designed for use "on the go", with their high clamping force (I have a pin-head, I pity anyone with a boofhead who wears these) ,short lead, and right-angled 3.5mm jack. But they isolate poorly, sound almost as loud on the outside as the inside, and need a decent amp to drive them - making them suitable for "at home" use.

I hope the T1's will give me what I was looking for - and to be fair to the HE-400i, the T1's are considerably more expensive HPs.
Maybe one day I'll try the 560s.

This is a great hobby. Everyone has different tastes, and if you buy second-hand you can sell again with minimal loss. For those of you who love your HE-400i - that's fantastic. For those who's search continues - enjoy.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #9,750 of 14,386
  They seemed (to me) designed for use "on the go", with their high clamping force (I have a pin-head, I pity anyone with a boofhead who wears these) ,short lead, and right-angled 3.5mm jack. But they isolate poorly, sound almost as loud on the outside as the inside, and need a decent amp to drive them - making them suitable for "at home" use.

If comfort is a major I can definitely vouch that these improve tremendously over time. I have owned them for 8 months now & nowadays I'm not at all noticing that they are in my head. My ears get warm after an hour so, but the weight & comfort are just so perfect for me. And this is coming from someone who can't stand the weight of Alpha Dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back