Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 1, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #9,601 of 14,386

I adaped the EQ for the foobar graphic equalizer; sounds great!

You can download it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hif3e1rt58tjwy6/AAAWVspOL4wuj76pkbO2uU6za?dl=0
  Please don't use the old data that I provided any more! It was not compensated properly. Here is the new equalizer setting:

http://bradshacks.com/he400i-eq-2/

this one is for the version with straigh connectors?

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #9,602 of 14,386

I adaped the EQ for the foobar graphic equalizer; sounds great!

You can download it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hif3e1rt58tjwy6/AAAWVspOL4wuj76pkbO2uU6za?dl=0

Please don't use the old data that I provided any more! It was not compensated properly. Here is the new equalizer setting:

http://bradshacks.com/he400i-eq-2/

Ah ha! I posted in that very thread on diyah you mentioned on your blog, after a few hours of searching for anyone who had made convolver WAVs for this fine headphone. I'm not sure if i have the latest version of your settings but I'll be sure to download the version on your blog and compare.

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #9,603 of 14,386
Has anyone tried Ether C pads on the 400i? Could be interesting.
L3000.gif

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #9,606 of 14,386
this one is for the version with straigh connectors?

I think both Solderdude's and InnerFidelity's measurements are of the old SMC connector version. However, I have the new TRS connector version and it sounds just fine. I am aware that there are frequency response differences between the two versions. That's why I avoided equalizing every minute peak and trough. I will continue looking for more measurements to compare. Maybe someday I will use binaural microphones (I have the Sound Professionals MS-TFB-2 but they're not too good) to measure my own HRTF and headphones. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #9,607 of 14,386
I think both Solderdude's and InnerFidelity's measurements are of the old SMC connector version. However, I have the new TRS connector version and it sounds just fine. I am aware that there are frequency response differences between the two versions. That's why I avoided equalizing every minute peak and trough. I will continue looking for more measurements to compare. Maybe someday I will use binaural microphones (I have the Sound Professionals MS-TFB-2 but they're not too good) to measure my own HRTF and headphones. 

I'm contemplating sending mine off to sonarworks if they give me some sort of multi-headphone discount (I also want to send in my HD800 and THX00) If so I'll post the FR chart. I'd just do it, but I'm maybe gonna sell them to a friend who is borrowing them right now and really loves them. As much as I love the HE400i, they just aren't getting as much head time any more.

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #9,608 of 14,386
I'm contemplating sending mine off to sonarworks if they give me some sort of multi-headphone discount (I also want to send in my HD800 and THX00) If so I'll post the FR chart. I'd just do it, but I'm maybe gonna sell them to a friend who is borrowing them right now and really loves them. As much as I love the HE400i, they just aren't getting as much head time any more.

I'd like to ask your opinion before the 400i's sound becomes a distant memory now that you have the HD800.

Sound signatures aside, which do you believe to have the better sound quality and be the better purchase of the two. The 400i or the X00? I have both, and have a tough time answering that question myself. Each offers a clean sound for their respective purpose, and beat out most of their competitors in the same price range. Are they really end game for mid-fi?

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #9,609 of 14,386
I'd like to ask your opinion before the 400i's sound becomes a distant memory now that you have the HD800.

Sound signatures aside, which do you believe to have the better sound quality and be the better purchase of the two. The 400i or the X00? I have both, and have a tough time answering that question myself. Each offers a clean sound for their respective purpose, and beat out most of their competitors in the same price range. Are they really end game for mid-fi?

completely stock: HE400i is a better buy (assuming you got it at $299).  It's a better headphone.  it's much better with soundstage, imaging, linearity, resolution and transparency.  However, the THX00 improves more with mods, IMHO.  Fully modded, i'd say they're very close, plus the THX00 doesn't leak sound like the HE400i does.  I can use the THX00 at work, I can't use the HE400i at work.  However, if I'd paid full price for all the mods I have done to the THX00, it's a roughly $650 headphone.  

Yes, I'd say they're about as good as you can get in mid-fi (unless you're one of those people who calls the HE560, HD800 and LCD 2.2F mid-fi now) for open and closed headphones.  In fact, I still haven't had a closed headphone that I prefer to my modded THX00, at any price (yes, I prefer it to the TH900 and Teak).  They're also both extremely comfortable.

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #9,611 of 14,386
Does anyone know if the HE-560 cups are compatible with the HE-400i drivers/connectors? Planning on picking up a set of the wood veneer cups to replace the shiny plastic ones on the HE-400i. If so, is any soldering required? or just simple detach/replace procedure.

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #9,612 of 14,386
  Does anyone know if the HE-560 cups are compatible with the HE-400i drivers/connectors? Planning on picking up a set of the wood veneer cups to replace the shiny plastic ones on the HE-400i. If so, is any soldering required? or just simple detach/replace procedure.

I have no idea, but I`m intensely interested in this question.  Please keep us posted ! 

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #9,613 of 14,386
Anyone looking for an adapter to use the boompro mic with their 400i (newer 2.5mm versions)? I am selling mine that I bought from PETEREK a little while back.

It also works with more traditional single ended 3.5mm cables. Thought I'd let fellow 400i owners in here know since the cable section in the classifieds often gets overlooked. PM me if interested.

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #9,614 of 14,386
  Anyone looking for an adapter to use the boompro mic with their 400i (newer 2.5mm versions)? I am selling mine that I bought from PETEREK a little while back.

It also works with more traditional single ended 3.5mm cables. Thought I'd let fellow 400i owners in here know since the cable section in the classifieds often gets overlooked. PM me if interested.

That is actually one of the smarter attachments I've seen.  Too bad I don't use my cans for gaming.

Aug 18, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #9,615 of 14,386
where can i get a good replacement cable for cheap to replace my 400i's stock one. the stiff cable is finally damaged from the stress of constantly being winded and unwinded i guess. the left side would would constantly cut off constantly unless i move the cable around a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back