Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 16, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #8,971 of 14,386
BluTack and sorbothane are really different materials, bluetack is closer to dynamat while sorbothane is more jell like, they do different things from what I have found so far with limited experimenting.  Blutack and dynamat are sound deadening materials while sorbothane is vibration reducing/absorbing material.  When you install the sorbothane in the cups of the HE-400 or other headphone it reduces any vibration from the drivers while dynamat/blutack reduces reflected sound within the cup.

May 17, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #8,972 of 14,386
Has anyone tried the HE-400i with a bit of crossfeed? I'm experimenting with a VST called TB Isone, and it adds a lot of realism and space to the sound. 

May 17, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #8,973 of 14,386
  BluTack and sorbothane are really different materials, bluetack is closer to dynamat while sorbothane is more jell like, they do different things from what I have found so far with limited experimenting.  Blutack and dynamat are sound deadening materials while sorbothane is vibration reducing/absorbing material.  When you install the sorbothane in the cups of the HE-400 or other headphone it reduces any vibration from the drivers while dynamat/blutack reduces reflected sound within the cup.

Hmmm.. Thanks for this. No wonder my 400i's sounded so bad after my experiment. Like a vampire, the BluTack sucked all the life right out of em'.  Ha..

May 17, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #8,975 of 14,386
  Hmmm.. Thanks for this. No wonder my 400i's sounded so bad after my experiment. Like a vampire, the BluTack sucked all the life right out of em'.  Ha..

How hard is it to remove the Blutack?  The dynamat can be a problem, I usually try to freeze it which makes working with it easier.

May 17, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #8,976 of 14,386
  How hard is it to remove the Blutack?  The dynamat can be a problem, I usually try to freeze it which makes working with it easier.

Oh no. The BluTack comes right off. Probably sticks a little more than chewing gum. I don't think I'd want to mess with something that's that hard to remove. That's good to know. 

May 18, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #8,977 of 14,386
  Has anyone tried the HE-400i with a bit of crossfeed? I'm experimenting with a VST called TB Isone, and it adds a lot of realism and space to the sound. 

yes, unless the album was recorded binaurally (and thus crossfeed defeats the purpose), I use crossfeed 100% of the time.  I use the built in crossfeed on my m9XX or a plug in called "can opener" by Goodhertz.  The m9XX has the pro of no DSP, but CanOpener has way more control over the parameters.  

https://goodhertz.co/canopener-studio

May 18, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #8,978 of 14,386
yes, unless the album was recorded binaurally (and thus crossfeed defeats the purpose), I use crossfeed 100% of the time.  I use the built in crossfeed on my m9XX or a plug in called "can opener" by Goodhertz.  The m9XX has the pro of no DSP, but CanOpener has way more control over the parameters.  

https://goodhertz.co/canopener-studio

CanOpener looks really good, too bad it's only for Mac, otherwise I would try it.

Has anyone tried the HE-400i with the pre-production focus pad-a? It came with the pre-production HE-560, and some reviewers say it smooths out the treble on the 560s, and lowers the hot part of the midrange. Not sure what it would affect on the 400i though.

May 19, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #8,980 of 14,386
Just got these in the mail today off RazordogAudio and they sound gorgeous! I love absolutely everything about them so far and once the soundstage is a bit wider it'll be perfect. I've removed the mesh so far and plan on picking up regrilling supplies this weekend, but these are much more pleasing to me than my previous X2's, whatever it was they just weren't for me. The HE-400i is easily my new #1 though for sure!

May 19, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #8,981 of 14,386
  Just got these in the mail today off RazordogAudio and they sound gorgeous! I love absolutely everything about them so far and once the soundstage is a bit wider it'll be perfect. I've removed the mesh so far and plan on picking up regrilling supplies this weekend, but these are much more pleasing to me than my previous X2's, whatever it was they just weren't for me. The HE-400i is easily my new #1 though for sure!

Nice, that is how impressed I was as well with my 400i. I have since sold them, but I always do that, I like to try new sound signatures quite often so I move gear frequently. The 400i is a honey of a value for what you pay. Enjoy.

May 20, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #8,982 of 14,386
Nice, that is how impressed I was as well with my 400i. I have since sold them, but I always do that, I like to try new sound signatures quite often so I move gear frequently. The 400i is a honey of a value for what you pay. Enjoy.

Yeah, I'd love to say I'll never need a new headphone again but I've been in this hobby long enough to know better than to say something like that lol. I'm definitely going to be happy with these for a long while though for sure. A tube amp is probably my next big step from here when the time comes.

May 20, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #8,983 of 14,386
Yeah, I'd love to say I'll never need a new headphone again but I've been in this hobby long enough to know better than to say something like that lol. I'm definitely going to be happy with these for a long while though for sure. A tube amp is probably my next big step from here when the time comes.

I can imagine a nice tube amp with some slight lushness could really make the 400i sing. I also hear the Grace M9XX from Massdrop also is fantastic with the 400i. If I get a year out of a headphone before I sell it I'm lucky, and it has nothing to do with problems, I just love trying new signatures and with the limited amount of time I actually have to listen to headphones unless I'm on the bus, I just can't justify keeping several sets around. Currently I have a TH 600 and previous to that it was the 400i and a TH 900. No idea what will be next.

May 20, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #8,984 of 14,386

A tube amp does wonders with the HE-400i, Ember and Lyr2 for me

May 20, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #8,985 of 14,386
  A tube amp does wonders with the HE-400i, Ember and Lyr2 for me

Okay, now with that new avatar you're just bragging!! Damn, that is some good living my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back