Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Mar 23, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #8,191 of 14,386
Just ordered the 400I from Razordogaudio. Spoke to Brian and he seems wonderful guy. This is the first time I purchase from them and once I receive my order and everything is good then I will definitely order from them any audio related items from now on.

That's who I got mine from.

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #8,192 of 14,386
  Weren't there differences even among the new connector versions? I thought the first gen of 2.5mm had the backplate, but subsequent versions did not? I might have things mixed up.

If memory serves, the new plug-in connectors always came with the removed backplates. The one I bought did, and I was an early adopter. (I think they may have released some screw-on types without the backplates.)

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #8,193 of 14,386

If memory serves, the new plug-in connectors always came with the removed backplates. The one I bought did, and I was an early adopter. (I think they may have released some screw-on types without the backplates.)

Gotcha, I never looked at my set, but I would assume it is like yours as I was also a fairly early adapter with the 2.5mm version.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #8,195 of 14,386

You guys might be right, but my memory tells me that someone posted that they received an early unit with the 2.5m connectors that still had the back plate.  Not the other way around.  But, bottom line is that those two changes came at very close proximity to each other. There is likely some mixed units out there.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #8,197 of 14,386
Hey, did your HE-400i arrive yet?

Yes, they arrived about a week ago and I've been listening to them every day for an hour or two. Very happy with these headphones, lovely sound all round. Blow my old AKG K701 right out of the water, and they cost about the same when I bought them.

The plugs on the HE-400iare the new 2.5mm type, and there is no back plate as mentioned in the posts above (no need to remove the grills to see this, you can see easily enough while they're still attached). They play surprisingly well straight out of my AK100 Mk2, and the headphone section of my Marantz CD player drives them without any problem. Still, I'm sure they'll sound even better when they have a bit more power behind them.

I have to say I'm less than happy with the Shure SE215-SE iems that I bought this week, but that's another story. Win some lose some!

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #8,199 of 14,386
Yes, they arrived about a week ago and I've been listening to them every day for an hour or two. Very happy with these headphones, lovely sound all round. Blow my old AKG K701 right out of the water, and they cost about the same when I bought them.

The plugs on the HE-400iare the new 2.5mm type, and there is no back plate as mentioned in the posts above (no need to remove the grills to see this, you can see easily enough while they're still attached). They play surprisingly well straight out of my AK100 Mk2, and the headphone section of my Marantz CD player drives them without any problem. Still, I'm sure they'll sound even better when they have a bit more power behind them.

I have to say I'm less than happy with the Shure SE215-SE iems that I bought this week, but that's another story. Win some lose some!
great, you ordered them from that japaneze fujiy-avic website right? Did you have to pay import fees?

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #8,200 of 14,386
great, you ordered them from that japaneze fujiy-avic website right? Did you have to pay import fees?

I live in Japan, so that price included shipping and they arrived a couple of days after I placed my order. Import tax and how it's applied seems to vary a lot from country to country. Here in Japan it's not applied to goods below around $150 total value, but once you go above that it can be quite expensive. In the UK it always seems to be expensive no matter what the value of the goods. Can't say for the rest of Europe, so maybe a good idea to check before you place your order.

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #8,201 of 14,386
I live in Japan, so that price included shipping and they arrived a couple of days after I placed my order. Import tax and how it's applied seems to vary a lot from country to country. Here in Japan it's not applied to goods below around $150 total value, but once you go above that it can be quite expensive. In the UK it always seems to be expensive no matter what the value of the goods. Can't say for the rest of Europe, so maybe a good idea to check before you place your order.
So I wanna ask them if they're gonna put a low value so I dont have to pay custom fees, but the site is in japanese so I used google translate, but I dont know what I need to put on the second alinea on this page https://www.fujiya-avic.jp/contact/index.php

Like the first alinea I need to put my backname first and after that my first name right? And what about the second 2 bars?

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #8,202 of 14,386
Low value will not help you too, though it depends on customs office, but they are not that "dumb", they do know all the tricks, and few times i was asked to provide all purchase and payment information to customs office and they accounted charges based on them. But all of it depends on customs of your country, btw HIFIMAN shipping box clearly states that it is 400i in it, not hard to check the price :) 

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #8,203 of 14,386
So I wanna ask them if they're gonna put a low value so I dont have to pay custom fees, but the site is in japanese so I used google translate, but I dont know what I need to put on the second alinea on this page https://www.fujiya-avic.jp/contact/index.php

Like the first alinea I need to put my backname first and after that my first name right? And what about the second 2 bars?

The top boxes are for your name written in English, surname in the first box (姓) and first name in the second (名). The boxes below that are for the Japanese spelling of your names, you need to use an alphabet called katakana. Here's a link where you can convert your names easily:
http://www.sljfaq.org/cgi/e2k.cgi
Just enter your names in the top box, then copy and paste the katakana into the appropriate boxes on the Fujiya Avic page. Hope this helps!

As for asking them to label the box differently, you could try asking them to label it "SAMPLE".

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #8,204 of 14,386
So I wanna ask them if they're gonna put a low value so I dont have to pay custom fees,

Good luck, but many companies will not do this. I'm not sure if the sender can be fined for under-declaring goods, probably not, but regardless, most still don't want to do this. Another great reason to purchase used. For instance, when I sell I will often just say the headphone is broken or going for new cable work, something like that and declare a modest to low value on the item. The problem with that is I can't then purchase insurance to cover the real amount so risk becomes a factor. As much as taxes and duties suck, I also hate paying them, they support the treasured social programs that many European nations are lucky enough to have. Doesn't the Netherlands have exceptionally good social programs for citizens? Good luck with things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back