Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 8, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #7,561 of 14,386
Or they like quiet playback volume. You would be surprised at how quietly many people say they listen to music in this community. I must admit I sort of chuckle when I hear about posters talking about feeling the bass who also like it around 80db. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but you aren't feeling the bass at quiet listening levels, it is just becoming established at best.

I'm sure they will be chuckling in a few years time when they are still enjoying their music and you are not :wink:

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #7,562 of 14,386
  Or they like quiet playback volume. You would be surprised at how quietly many people say they listen to music in this community. I must admit I sort of chuckle when I hear about posters talking about feeling the bass who also like it around 80db. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but you aren't feeling the bass at quiet listening levels, it is just becoming established at best.

Maybe so.  I have no way to measure dB, but I don't listen at high volumes, either.

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #7,563 of 14,386
I'm sure they will be chuckling in a few years time when they are still enjoying their music and you are not
wink.gif

What did you say I couldn't hear you? No I'm already 47, almost 48 and I listen for shorter periods of time. I just prefer to have a little impact to my music so I'm willing to have shorter sessions. At last check with an audiologist about 8 years ago my hearing was well within normal range for my age, but I suspect now it may have dropped off a little. Far too many rock concerts, playing the drums and loud music to expect no issues. Still, when I did some online tests carefully a few years back I was still able to detect the high frequencies pretty well. I think I'll try again soon and see where I'm at.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #7,564 of 14,386
  What did you say I couldn't hear you? No I'm already 47, almost 48 and I listen for shorter periods of time. I just prefer to have a little impact to my music so I'm willing to have shorter sessions. At last check with an audiologist about 8 years ago my hearing was well within normal range for my age, but I suspect now it may have dropped off a little. Far too many rock concerts, playing the drums and loud music to expect no issues. Still, when I did some online tests carefully a few years back I was still able to detect the high frequencies pretty well. I think I'll try again soon and see where I'm at.

gotta grab some audiophile earplugs for your next show!
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETY-Plugs-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEESS

Ever since I went to an Aesop Rock concert and the audio engineer managed to give the audience a nice loud crack in their soundsystem that left me with tinnitus for an entire year, I never go to a concert without them.

Also, all this talk about balanced systems makes me wonder if i should get this instead of the APPJ! http://www.musicdirect.com/p-356757-musical-fidelity-v90-bha-balanced-headphone-amp.aspx?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=87300215554&gclid=CjwKEAiAluG1BRDrvsqCtYWk81gSJACZ2BCeEq9uJmpRqZfrT07CTnWutvOenwAo2ajOU8GF41_KYxoC___w_wcB

Scouring the internet for reviews, I've seen a few people talk about the brand on head-fi but not much. Comparing it to the APPJ is unfair, they're completely different listening experiences, but if it's a solid balanced driver.. hmmm

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #7,565 of 14,386

gotta grab some audiophile earplugs for your next show!
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETY-Plugs-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEESS

Ever since I went to an Aesop Rock concert and the audio engineer managed to give the audience a nice loud crack in their soundsystem that left me with tinnitus for an entire year, I never go to a concert without them.

Also, all this talk about balanced systems makes me wonder if i should get this instead of the APPJ! http://www.musicdirect.com/p-356757-musical-fidelity-v90-bha-balanced-headphone-amp.aspx?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=87300215554&gclid=CjwKEAiAluG1BRDrvsqCtYWk81gSJACZ2BCeEq9uJmpRqZfrT07CTnWutvOenwAo2ajOU8GF41_KYxoC___w_wcB

Scouring the internet for reviews, I've seen a few people talk about the brand on head-fi but not much. Comparing it to the APPJ is unfair, they're completely different listening experiences, but if it's a solid balanced driver.. hmmm

Musical Fidelity as a brand is hard for me to get a read on.  They've made some really nifty products over the years.  They used to make some really sweet little pure class A integrated amps, for example.  But they've also been one of the more egregious snake-oil purveyors.

That said, they don't seem to be making any extravagant claims about the unit you linked to.  It's probably a good piece of kit.  Very different from an APPJ, of course.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #7,566 of 14,386
This is the cable I bought. I'm using it on my Gumby and Liquid Carbon. I like the cable - I like the sound.

It's good to hear that you like the combination of the 400i and the Venus Audio cable with the liquid carbon.

I just received my cable too. However, I don't see any markings on the headphone connectors to tell which side is left or right. I know it will be easy to determine but both my connectors look identical with red writing on them. I will add my own if that is the case.

Does your cable have anything to mark left/right?

I assume you are going balanced with the LC.

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #7,567 of 14,386

Musical Fidelity as a brand is hard for me to get a read on.  They've made some really nifty products over the years.  They used to make some really sweet little pure class A integrated amps, for example.  But they've also been one of the more egregious snake-oil purveyors.

That said, they don't seem to be making any extravagant claims about the unit you linked to.  It's probably a good piece of kit.  Very different from an APPJ, of course.

i agree, the more i read the more i realize how very different they are.

here is the product page http://www.musicalfidelity.com/v90-bha

and this thread is answering some of my questions, but then creating more! http://www.head-fi.org/t/539458/why-balanced-headphone-amps

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #7,568 of 14,386
Feb 9, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #7,569 of 14,386
Output impedance of 22ohms.

I feel like this comment is pointing out a blaring weakness about the amp, but b/c I'm still learning the basics about dampening and stuff like that.. What am I missing? Thanks

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #7,570 of 14,386
Output impedance of 22ohms.

I feel like this comment is pointing out a blaring weakness about the amp, but b/c I'm still learning the basics about dampening and stuff like that.. What am I missing? Thanks

The 1:8 (or 1:10) rule.
Basically, the amp is best used for headphones with 176Ω+ of impedance.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #7,571 of 14,386

It's likely too high for low-impedance cans like these.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #7,572 of 14,386

The 1:8 (or 1:10) rule.
Basically, the amp is best used for headphones with 176Ω+ of impedance.

It's likely too high for low-impedance cans like these.

oh ok, thanks for the heads up. it was an odd idea buying it anyways, being that nobody here talks about it. It inspires me to make a long term project out of building an amp similar to it though. gotta hit the old digital design books. Thanks guys!

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #7,573 of 14,386

oh ok, thanks for the heads up. it was an odd idea buying it anyways, being that nobody here talks about it.

Hey, that's how we find the truffles, man.  Sniffing around under the leaves.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #7,574 of 14,386

I'm sorry for not giving an explanation. It looks like some members have answered your question, though.

And as someone also said, you never really know. That amp could end up sounding great with the 400i.

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #7,575 of 14,386
It's good to hear that you like the combination of the 400i and the Venus Audio cable with the liquid carbon.

I just received my cable too. However, I don't see any markings on the headphone connectors to tell which side is left or right. I know it will be easy to determine but both my connectors look identical with red writing on them. I will add my own if that is the case.

Does your cable have anything to mark left/right?

I assume you are going balanced with the LC.

Yes, the left and right are stenciled on - very clear silver letters of L or R on top of the black material.
It really does look like a well-built cable. My only objection, and possibly due to the time of year I ordered, was how long it took to finally make the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back