Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 5, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #6,586 of 14,386
Maybe it takes some getting used to - for me, coming from the bass-emphasized Fidelio X2 I had to retune a bit. Some music I still enjoy slightly more with the Fidelio's slightly recessed mids (for instance Porcupine Tree - Deadwing).

Yup.  I like different cans for different music, too.

The 400i are sounding pretty sweet on everything I've tried them with so far, though.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #6,587 of 14,386
It's a GREAT combination so far. I'm getting a fullness and level of detail that I've never heard before. I'm using these tubes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150471341660 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/301233066989

Awesome to hear!! Those are some of the best in-production tubes from what I've heard, together with Tung-Sol. I've a random assortment of NOS tubes on the way from Philips/RCA/Siemens/Mazda. Maybe we should start a tube rolling thread for the APPJ?!

Mine got delayed (Dutch postal service is horrible) :frowning2:.

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #6,589 of 14,386
Did you have the Burson opamps with it? Seems to be a big improvement.

I'm running only the singles right this moment. It is an immediate, noticeable change from stock. The duals I ordered should be here any day now.

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #6,590 of 14,386
I'm running only the singles right this moment. It is an immediate, noticeable change from stock. The duals I ordered should be here any day now.

Nice. Intersting to find out how much difference it makes with the duals.

on topic: I'm surprised by the soundstage of the 400i. It's larger then I expected, especially the depth. Easy to pinpoint instruments as well. More pronounced than the Fidelio X2. Maybe an effect of the absent metal plates but I have no comparison.

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #6,591 of 14,386
I've had the HE-400i twice now, and my new pair just started doing this too. 

I noticed that out of the box, when you take them off, the cups are very stiff, and stay in their position when you took them off, but after having used them 3 days now, they are very much looser, and snap together when I take them off my head instead of keeping their stiff angle they were on my head. 
If you're confused:

Taking them off new:
HmXCwr2.jpg

Taking them off after a little use:
K1PAMcA.jpg

Also the swivels from side to side a bit looser as well, as well as the strength of the metal headband feeling noticeably less tight (kind of gladly, can be vice grips out of box).
Is this a regular thing? Just a little paranoid as I've had a few issues with my first pair.

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #6,596 of 14,386
  I've had the HE-400i twice now, and my new pair just started doing this too. 

I noticed that out of the box, when you take them off, the cups are very stiff, and stay in their position when you took them off, but after having used them 3 days now, they are very much looser, and snap together when I take them off my head instead of keeping their stiff angle they were on my head. 
If you're confused:

Taking them off new:
HmXCwr2.jpg

Taking them off after a little use:
K1PAMcA.jpg

Also the swivels from side to side a bit looser as well, as well as the strength of the metal headband feeling noticeably less tight (kind of gladly, can be vice grips out of box).
Is this a regular thing? Just a little paranoid as I've had a few issues with my first pair.

I'm still at the first picture, and I've had them for more than 3 days now.  They have loosened up a bit, but not by very much yet.  The headphones have grown on me, so I won't be returning them even with the build quality flaws. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #6,598 of 14,386
  Just got this nice headphone today. Very happy with its full sound, esp. the bass, compared to my brighter HD600. I saw the manual said this headphone needs 150 hours of burn-in time. Is that true?

I have them on order, should arrive by Friday. My reference set is the HD650. I had the HD600 and gave it away as a gift. I'm curious how you would compare the 400i with the Senns. Are they better than the Senns at everything or are there some things where you still prefer your HD600? Thanks.

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #6,599 of 14,386
My 650's didn't stick around long. Never reached for them once 400i was on the desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back