Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 5, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #6,571 of 14,386
The old connectors are screw on, the new ones have 2.5mm.

You might be able to get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter to get your mic in line but it may sit a bit low.

The old connectors (to the drivers) were screw-in, the new ones are 2.5 mm mini-plugs. The other end of the cable (going to the amp) is a 3.5 mm plug, and there is an adapter for 1/4" jacks supplied with the headphones. The end of the cable to be plugged into your source is the same regardless of the type of connector on the headphone end,

Wow, that was fast! Thanks!

Does anyone have a link to an adapter they have used successfully? I have a Bluetooth dongle that receives the audio from the microphone, and mixes it through my Soundblaster X7.

Or, is there a better/easier/cheaper way to do this?

In summary: I'm trying to connect my Boompro to my 400i, and mix audio to my Soundblaster X7 via my PS4. 

Thanks so much in advance!

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #6,572 of 14,386
Wow, that was fast! Thanks!

Does anyone have a link to an adapter they have used successfully? I have a Bluetooth dongle that receives the audio from the microphone, and mixes it through my Soundblaster X7.

Or, is there a better/easier/cheaper way to do this?

In summary: I'm trying to connect my Boompro to my 400i, and mix audio to my Soundblaster X7 via my PS4. 

Thanks so much in advance!

Sorry my original assumption was that an adapter may work, but I was mistaken. I'm currently using a Zalman clip on mic with my x7. Works very well and reasonably priced.

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #6,573 of 14,386

I do it unattended, too. The headphones have been connected to my PC for the last five days, which is running a repeating playlist of varied music items. The cans are in a drawer so they don't drive us crazy:) I do actually listen to them from time to time (using an amp), and I like them!

I have a pair of AKG K702 headphones that definitely improved after 100+ hours of break-in: The bass got noticeably stronger and deeper. They are never going to be mistaken for "bass-head" cans, but since breakin, the frequency response is more extended on the low end and thus more even than before. 

I didn't burn in the HE-400i very much, as it didn't seem to need it.  My Q701, though . . . there's a 10-hour pink noise "video" on YouTube that ran through those puppies quite a few times.  I didn't have a drawer handy to put them in, but at a reasonable volume, you can leave them on your desk and it just sounds like light, soft rain (or wind).

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #6,574 of 14,386
Hey, guys, what's a good, reasonably priced, XLR-terminated cable for these?  

For reference, I consider the ones at Moon Audio overpriced at $165.

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #6,575 of 14,386
I didn't burn in the HE-400i very much, as it didn't seem to need it.  My Q701, though . . . there's a 10-hour pink noise "video" on YouTube that ran through those puppies quite a few times.  I didn't have a drawer handy to put them in, but at a reasonable volume, you can leave them on your desk and it just sounds like light, soft rain (or wind).

These cans sound awesomly good out of the box to my ears. Maybe it's because I've never heard any planars before (or anything else this revealing). No way that I'm going to burn them in. I would miss out on the sheer enjoyment I'm getting from them right now!

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #6,578 of 14,386
These cans sound awesomly good out of the box to my ears. Maybe it's because I've never heard any planars before (or anything else this revealing). No way that I'm going to burn them in. I would miss out on the sheer enjoyment I'm getting from them right now!

You got it brother, just enjoy them! The 400i are excellent sounding headphones. While I often gripe about lax quality control at Hi Fi Man, there is no denying they are dialed into good audio reproduction.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #6,579 of 14,386

Cool.  I found them a bit too light in the bottom end for my tastes.  I'm not a bass-addict.  I like my bass nimble and musical, not boomy, but the Q701s out-of-the-box were a bit too much of a good thing.  I did like the airy treble right out of the box, though.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #6,580 of 14,386
Check out seller venus_audio on ebay.

+1 for venus_audio
Well built cables at a fair price!
Too bad the the seller is away till the 16th. I was ready to order one myself.

Will check them out.  Thanks!

What about Best In The 'Verse?  Any experience with them?

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #6,581 of 14,386
You got it brother, just enjoy them! The 400i are excellent sounding headphones. While I often gripe about lax quality control at Hi Fi Man, there is no denying they are dialed into good audio reproduction.

It's jaw drapping - luckily the clamps keep my jaw firmly attached.

I hate to confess.. I'm listening through an iPhone 6s. Right now it's hard to believe that there's much potential left when I get to plug them in a more powerful amp.

Anyone jumped on the massdrop Gustard H10 to pair with these?

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #6,582 of 14,386
Cool.  I found them a bit too light in the bottom end for my tastes.  I'm not a bass-addict.  I like my bass nimble and musical, not boomy, but the Q701s out-of-the-box were a bit too much of a good thing.  I did like the airy treble right out of the box, though.

Maybe it takes some getting used to - for me, coming from the bass-emphasized Fidelio X2 I had to retune a bit. Some music I still enjoy slightly more with the Fidelio's slightly recessed mids (for instance Porcupine Tree - Deadwing).

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #6,583 of 14,386
I have an old LINN CLASSIK hifi cd/amp which has a dedicated headphone amp built in. It use to run my HD 600's no problem.
Does anyone know if this is a good combination of headphone and amp?

I have no experience with Linn Classik but according to the manual  (found online on ftp://ftp.linn.co.uk/Manual/CLASSIK_MUSIC_original_(E).pdf) its head amp has output current limit 60mA so it should drive HE-400i to fairly loud volume levels.

HE-400i (headphone impedance: 35 Ohm, headphone sensitivity: 93.0 dB SPL/mW)

LISTENING LOUDNESS                    VOLTAGE NEEDED      CURRENT NEEDED     POWER NEEDED
Safe
85 dB SPL
0.07 Vrms
2 mA
0.14 mW
Moderate
100 dB SPL
0.42 Vrms
12 mA
5.04 mW
Fairly Loud
110 dB SPL
1.32 Vrms
37.71 mA
49.78 mW
Very Loud
115 dB SPL
2.36 Vrms
67.43 mA
159.13 mW
Painful
120 dB SPL
4.19 Vrms
119.71 mA
501.6 mW

However, in comparison to HD 600, HE-400i is, as a headphone with below-average sensitivity (93.0 dB SPL/mW), more current hungry and certainly needs amplification able to deliver these loads. On the other hand HD 600 is, as a headphone with high impedance (300 Ohm) more demanding of voltage.  Nevertheless, try HE-400i with Linn Classik and let us know how you like this combo.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #6,584 of 14,386

My APPJ should also arrive today and the 400i just got delivered as well! They can burn in together the next few days
smily_headphones1.gif
only have a Schiit Fulla to compare to at this point.

It's a GREAT combination so far. I'm getting a fullness and level of detail that I've never heard before. I'm using these tubes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150471341660 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/301233066989

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #6,585 of 14,386
It's jaw drapping - luckily the clamps keep my jaw firmly attached.

I hate to confess.. I'm listening through an iPhone 6s. Right now it's hard to believe that there's much potential left when I get to plug them in a more powerful amp.

Anyone jumped on the massdrop Gustard H10 to pair with these?

I had a gustard with these the first time and they sound great. If u check out the h10 thread there are many others who enjoy this combo. The h10 is a lot of bang for the buck. I may have to pick it up again as its on massdrop again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back