Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 29, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #6,391 of 14,386
I have a question. I have a FiiO E10 and I do realise fiio can't drive them properly, so I was considering buying modi2/magni2 stack (not uber), the thing is, I bought 400i for 300€ and the stack costs around 230€ with shipping. It's almost as expensive as the headphones. Do you think it would make enough difference to be worth it?

Dec 29, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #6,392 of 14,386
New to headphones and I was going to return my recently purchased 400i's due to static in the right ear on certain songs at certain points regardless of source.  I couldn't hear the static on my IEMs (mostly cheap), but I borrowed a coworker's X2s today and there it is. Not as pronounced as with the 400i's, but nonetheless it is there. I guess the 400i's are more revealing of whatever the recording flaw is. 

FWIW, I have really enjoyed listening to them and the only annoyance was the static on a couple of songs. Sources are a Iphone 6 @ home (sounds very good to me) and Grace m9xx at work.  I cant say the Grace sounds vastly better than the Dragonfly I borrowed or my Iphone, but it sounds very good.     

Dec 29, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #6,393 of 14,386
  New to headphones and I was going to return my recently purchased 400i's due to static in the right ear on certain songs at certain points regardless of source.  I couldn't hear the static on my IEMs (mostly cheap), but I borrowed a coworker's X2s today and there it is. Not as pronounced as with the 400i's, but nonetheless it is there. I guess the 400i's are more revealing of whatever the recording flaw is. 

FWIW, I have really enjoyed listening to them and the only annoyance was the static on a couple of songs. Sources are a Iphone 6 @ home (sounds very good to me) and Grace m9xx at work.  I cant say the Grace sounds vastly better than the Dragonfly I borrowed or my Iphone, but it sounds very good.     

yeah, the HE400i does sound quite good out of an iPhone 6S+ for me.  I think the iPhone 6s+ gets an unnecessarily bad reputation, as I think its DAC and amp are better than a lot of "portable amp/DACs" people around here use.  Obviously I think the m9XX sounds better, but the iPhone is pretty great.  

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #6,394 of 14,386

yeah, the HE400i does sound quite good out of an iPhone 6S+ for me.  I think the iPhone 6s+ gets an unnecessarily bad reputation, as I think its DAC and amp are better than a lot of "portable amp/DACs" people around here use.  Obviously I think the m9XX sounds better, but the iPhone is pretty great.  

I was listening to the 400i through my iPhone 6 Plus yesterday and I was impressed as hell- sounded really good! Loud enough for casual listening at least. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #6,395 of 14,386
I ordered the HE400i on amazon, couldn't resist the sale price. I plan on using them with my Fiio X1 and A3 combo. 

edit: Received the HE400i headphones and listening to them, the clarity is so nice. I tend to listen to a lot of Ambient music, so for tracks like DLP3 by William Basinski where being able to hear everything is key these headphones really get the job done. Other headphones I have are Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 ohms and ath50x, so these are a big step up I would say. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #6,396 of 14,386
  Does the 400i (newer version with plug in connectors) have enough bass to be able to enjoy a decent club banger track?

For example 'Insomnia' by 'Faithless'.

This track sounds fantastic on X2 and DT-1770, but I tried it on K612 Pro and it was not a good experience.

The answer is "not really." You'll definitely prefer the sound of the X2 if you're interested in bass. The X2 has that whump-whump feel that a sub has and the 400i doesn't produce the same feeling. You can tell where it's supposed to be, but it feels like it's missing in comparison to the X2. Cool track, btw. I like it myself :D

It's just bass where the X2 wins though; mids vocals and instruments are completely in the 400i's favor.

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #6,398 of 14,386

The answer is "not really." You'll definitely prefer the sound of the X2 if you're interested in bass. The X2 has that whump-whump feel that a sub has and the 400i doesn't produce the same feeling. You can tell where it's supposed to be, but it feels like it's missing in comparison to the X2. Cool track, btw. I like it myself :D

It's just bass where the X2 wins though; mids vocals and instruments are completely in the 400i's favor.

one thing about the 400i is that it takes EQ very well if you want to bother with that.  I've EQd up to a 10dB low pass filter into it, and it handles it with virtually no bloat, loss of control or clipping.
But I agree, that un-EQ'd, the X2 wins bass quantity, especially midbass (ie what most people think of as "thump") easily.  

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #6,399 of 14,386

one thing about the 400i is that it takes EQ very well if you want to bother with that.  I've EQd up to a 10dB low pass filter into it, and it handles it with virtually no bloat, loss of control or clipping.
But I agree, that un-EQ'd, the X2 wins bass quantity, especially midbass (ie what most people think of as "thump") easily.  

What software do you use for EQ?

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #6,400 of 14,386

But is the X2 bass actually as clean as the 400i, or is it kind of clumpy one note bass? I find very few headphones with strong sub bass do sub bass well. You get lots of quantity with typically poor quality.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #6,402 of 14,386

What software do you use for EQ?

Depends on how crazy I'm getting. Anything substantial and I use a hardware rack unit parametric or 128 band graphic.  9/10 if I'm only making slight adjustments, I just use the built in iTunes one.  Which I know people freak out here about iTunes EQ, but it's convenient for minor changes, and I've never had real issues with it as long as I: didn't go past 4dB, always EQ down, and keep adjacent sliders within 2dB.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #6,403 of 14,386
i listen to a lot of electronic music and i love the 400i.
you will get used to the "lack of bass".
its not really lacking, its just isn't bloated or boomy like other bassy headphones.
you get all the details and sub notes with a good quantity of bass.

and if after few weeks you feel that you really need more bass- you can always EQ.

the 400i also very good with drums and string instruments, you really getting details that other headphones cant provide.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #6,404 of 14,386
  i listen to a lot of electronic music and i love the 400i.
you will get used to the "lack of bass".
its not really lacking, its just isn't bloated or boomy like other bassy headphones.
you get all the details and sub notes with a good quantity of bass.

and if after few weeks you feel that you really need more bass- you can always EQ.

the 400i also very good with drums and string instruments, you really getting details that other headphones cant provide.

Agreed. If You ever feel like having a bit more bass, just a touch of EQ and it will shake your head if needs be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g68hQ4zJ3t0 I can give good example of drums and strings, On quite few headphones it sounds chaotic a bit bloated and messy...400i Spot on. Speachless.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #6,405 of 14,386

Thanks, been playing around with mine for a few hours, including using the eq where needed.

I'm extremely amazed at the amount of bass they can produce, and if I don't want it I can just hit bass boost off.

I was worried these were going to have to be returned as I am partial to bass, but they are not going anywhere. 

For the price, these are OUTSTANDING.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back