Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 26, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #6,361 of 14,386
I'm considering the HE-400i headphones. I have the Sennheiser HD-600 phones. Looking at the measurement charts at innerfidelity.com, the HiFiMan cans seem to have much more extended bass response, yet I see some complaints here and there that the 400i don't have a lot of bass. What's your experience with the 400i?

Also, there are a lot of complaints that the 400i has a narrow soundstage, but I don't hear much of a soundstage with the Senns either--If you have heard both of these headphones, which has a better soundstage?

I use a Burson HA-160 amp for all of these headphones; not interested in using them with an iPhone.

Dec 26, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #6,362 of 14,386
I'm considering the HE-400i headphones. I have the Sennheiser HD-600 phones. Looking at the measurement charts at innerfidelity.com, the HiFiMan cans seem to have much more extended bass response, yet I see some complaints here and there that the 400i don't have a lot of bass. What's your experience with the 400i?

Also, there are a lot of complaints that the 400i has a narrow soundstage, but I don't hear much of a soundstage with the Senns either--If you have heard both of these headphones, which has a better soundstage?

I use a Burson HA-160 amp for all of these headphones; not interested in using them with an iPhone.

Lots of people confuse mid bass with bass in general. In the west out understanding of bass is probably flawed and most people are referring to a desired mid bass hump as wanting more bass. The 400i has a pretty linear bass, which means it does not have aid bass hump that is often mistaken for less bass. This is untrue though, it have excellent bass in quantity and quality, but it does not have a mid bass hump that a lot of people like.

Dec 26, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #6,363 of 14,386

I thought the soundstage was the same as my HD650s and they had more bass than the HD650 and it was faster and flat (i.e. No roll off on the sub bass).

Dec 26, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #6,364 of 14,386
Lots of people confuse mid bass with bass in general. In the west out understanding of bass is probably flawed and most people are referring to a desired mid bass hump as wanting more bass. The 400i has a pretty linear bass, which means it does not have aid bass hump that is often mistaken for less bass. This is untrue though, it have excellent bass in quantity and quality, but it does not have a mid bass hump that a lot of people like.

Eh, I don't know that it's necessarily what "people in the west" prefer, it's that the nature of dynamic drivers is such that they have a mid bass hump normally. It's really only planars that have flat bass in headphones.

Dec 26, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #6,365 of 14,386
I like more sub bass than mid bass, that's why I liked the Atrio MG7 so much.  You do need a good amount of mid bass for things like house and techno so the 4/4 kick has enough thump to it.  Most of the time I leave the EQ as is but on some recordings I have to kick the bass up a little so its in line with everything else.  I don't think the 400i is bass light but for some people they might be use to a bit more.

Dec 26, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #6,366 of 14,386

The most common complaint I see about the the HD-600s is a lack of bass.  The HE-400is are similar to the HD600s in bass quantity, but the extension gives it a more full sound.   The soundstage is similar, but the HE400i soundstage is a tiny bit larger IMO.  Also note that the HE400is have a spike at 8khz that makes them more sibilant than the HD 600s IMO, although EQ helps that a bit.

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #6,367 of 14,386
Eh, I don't know that it's necessarily what "people in the west" prefer, it's that the nature of dynamic drivers is such that they have a mid bass hump normally. It's really only planars that have flat bass in headphones.

Well, take a look at home UK pop is mixed compared to US pop. There is a clear difference and preference to bass presence in US pop. I do this this translates into headphone tuning as well. The beyerdynamic t series, for example, seems to have a more euro tuning. Though I do agree that with dynamic drivers that mid bass hump is tough to avoid.

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #6,368 of 14,386

I have both- I pair the HD600s with the Bottlehead Crack, while I listen to the 400i through my Teac UD-301 Dac/Headphone amp. Not much of a contest- the 400i sounds better in just about every aspect- soundstage is a little wider and definitely deeper. Instrument placement is more precise with the 400i. Bass is likely where the 400i completely dominates the HD600s- where on the HD600s the bass is there, its basically one note- very blurry and ill-defined. With the 400i, the bass is just as strong but is so much better defined- very little blur. Able to actually hear differences in various types of bass guitars/upright basses- very addicting! The 400i has a more extended treble as well- I have not experienced any fatigue through. My Crack is likely going up for sale very soon. Not sure about the HD600s.

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #6,369 of 14,386
I have both- I pair the HD600s with the Bottlehead Crack, while I listen to the 400i through my Teac UD-301 Dac/Headphone amp. Not much of a contest- the 400i sounds better in just about every aspect- soundstage is a little wider and definitely deeper. Instrument placement is more precise with the 400i. Bass is likely where the 400i completely dominates the HD600s- where on the HD600s the bass is there, its basically one note- very blurry and ill-defined. With the 400i, the bass is just as strong but is so much better defined- very little blur. Able to actually hear differences in various types of bass guitars/upright basses- very addicting! The 400i has a more extended treble as well- I have not experienced any fatigue through. My Crack is likely going up for sale very soon. Not sure about the HD600s.

I honestly think the crack only works with a handful of headphones. Its absurdly high output impedance means it doesn't send much current. Even though the HD600 is relatively high impedance, Sennheiser's engineers have *repeatedly* said it's designed to sound best with low (sub 20) output impedance amps.

The crack sounds great with the 600 ohm DT770 though.

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #6,370 of 14,386

I have both headphones and the HD600 at times might have a little more mid bass bit the 400i has better sub bass and texture.  I gave my sister my HD600 because the 400i is a better sounding headphone over all imo.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #6,372 of 14,386
^ Really nice headphones, I suspect you'll be happy with them.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #6,374 of 14,386
Picked up Philips X2 on the 199 sale and i see the QC issues with it. I have picked a Schiit stack uber on head-fi classifieds. Now i see the he-400i on sale and would like to try the planar headphones. 

does having an amp/dac do justice to the he-400i. I read somewhere that recent headphone screems plastic all over. Is this still an issue now. I am about to order on amazon with hifiman store. Advice pls?

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #6,375 of 14,386
Picked up Philips X2 on the 199 sale and i see the QC issues with it. I have picked a Schiit stack uber on head-fi classifieds. Now i see the he-400i on sale and would like to try the planar headphones. 

does having an amp/dac do justice to the he-400i. I read somewhere that recent headphone screems plastic all over. Is this still an issue now. I am about to order on amazon with hifiman store. Advice pls?

I'm not really sure what you're asking. The 400i has plastic cups, yes. The grills are metal, the suspension bar is metal, the headband is padded pleather. Earpads are pleather/velour. I don't know what "screams plastic all over" means.

The 400i will be powered perfectly acceptably by the magni2 uber, the 400i is pretty easy to drive, so you're fine with any sub 2 ohm output impedance amps that put out at least 500mV, and the magni2 uber is well within that range. It would reward a better DAC than the modi2, but it will still sound very good with the modi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back