Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 26, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #6,346 of 14,386
I have both and recommend the 400i over the X2 every time. Better in just about every way except bass quantity.

Thanks, I put the order in for the 400i.  X2 sounded nice once I EQ'd it.  No EQ it was too muffled.  But X2 has a bit too much bass for me.  I don't think I can listen to that every day.  Have never heard a planar so thought I'd try it.

Dec 26, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #6,347 of 14,386
Thanks, I put the order in for the 400i.  X2 sounded nice once I EQ'd it.  No EQ it was too muffled.  But X2 has a bit too much bass for me.  I don't think I can listen to that every day.  Have never heard a planar so thought I'd try it.

Let us know your impressions when you get it!

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #6,348 of 14,386
Would the leather pads bring out a little more bass impact and overall aggressiveness for metal genres?

Only $20 on hifimans store. Or maybe focus pads A? (The regular focas pads are the stock pads right?)

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #6,349 of 14,386
Would the leather pads bring out a little more bass impact and overall aggressiveness for metal genres?

Only $20 on hifimans store. Or maybe focus pads A? (The regular focas pads are the stock pads right?)

I know they did on my original 400 so I don't see why they wouldn't on these.

I was looking for a bit more myself so I EQ'ed everything down about a half db or so and left the bass flat and that helped out quite a bit. If you need more just EQ everything down until you get what your looking for.

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #6,350 of 14,386

if that what you think on the X2 the 400i should be perfect for you- more clarity with more balanced bass.

i would suggest to try the 400i with the stock pads for like 2 weeks and then see if you are missing anything.
for me the 400i was lacking a bit bass at first but over time i got used to it and i really think i dont need more bass right now.

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #6,351 of 14,386
  if that what you think on the X2 the 400i should be perfect for you- more clarity with more balanced bass.

i would suggest to try the 400i with the stock pads for like 2 weeks and then see if you are missing anything.
for me the 400i was lacking a bit bass at first but over time i got used to it and i really think i dont need more bass right now.

The one thing I miss 400i VS X2 is the fun...

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #6,352 of 14,386
I saw the sale that a couple of sites were having for these. I missed out on the black Friday sale so this is perfect. However, do you guys know if this is the old version with the screw in connectors or the new version with the plug in connectors.

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #6,354 of 14,386
Anyone have issues with cables from the Hifiman Store? Just bought a pair of balanced crystaline cables for my 400i's and got them today. Was pretty excited to try them out, but noticed that no sound was coming out of the Right side of the headphone. Switched the connectors/cables around to make sure it's not the heaphone that's the issue, and lo and behold, sound was coming out of the Right ears and not the left one. Switched them around again to the correct side and still no sound coming out of the right side. So, i'm thinking it's the cables that's messed up. For 135 dollars you'd think you'd get a good set out of the bag, but sadly not. Waiting for hifiman customer service to email me back.

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #6,356 of 14,386
Dec 26, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #6,357 of 14,386
The pictures on the Audioadvisor site seems to indicate they are the original screw-on connectors. I think Rasordog is selling the HE-400i with the newer connectors.

I don't think that means much, just the same stock picture they've been using for over a year.

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #6,359 of 14,386

Please do us a favor and check with the vender to make sure they are shipping the HE-400i with the new connectors. I did emailed Rasordog during the BF to confirm that they are shipping the HE-400i with the new connectors.

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but having read numerous posts about the 400i I do not believe anyone has reported receiving the original version with the screw-on connectors since the Black Friday sale began.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back