Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 25, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #6,331 of 14,386
Hi all :)

What's the word on burn in for these guys? Not sure if I got a faulty pair but they're incredibly quiet!

I have to set my Meridian Explorer to around 85/100 to get a good listening level. I mean, I know that they're not exactly portable cans, but through my LG G2 (some reviewers say that they can get acceptable) it's absolutely muted!

Thanks for the assist, and Merry Christmas to all those celebrating :)

Dec 25, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #6,334 of 14,386
14/15 on my Galaxy S5 for listening level, these are not very efficient headphones

My note 3 is plenty loud at about 93%. Using the dragonfly it is about 50%, which is on par with most 50 Watt headphones I own. It should be plenty loud out of a phone, though.

Dec 25, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #6,335 of 14,386
I'm usually around 60-70% on my iPhone 6s. Most other low impedance dynamics I'm at 50%. But they're orthos, you used to need a small scale nuclear power plant to power orthos, the idea that they'd work at all out of a phone 4 years ago was just laughable.

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #6,336 of 14,386
I'm usually around 60-70% on my iPhone 6s. Most other low impedance dynamics I'm at 50%. But they're orthos, you used to need a small scale nuclear power plant to power orthos, the idea that they'd work at all out of a phone 4 years ago was just laughable.

Thanks for the input, but I definitely think that these are faulty and maybe their QC needs a kick. I mean, when they arrived, the right grill had fallen off and the driver was exposed, which scuffed the side of the housing. But this sound issue is very worrying! Here are my settings:

Meridian Explorer: 80-85% Vol (Acceptable, bass missing, sibilant - almost feels like it's not happy with it)
iPhone 6: 100% Vol (Acceptable, bass missing, sibilant)
LG G2: 100% Vol (Basically can hardly hear)

Surely this can't be right? Anyone else have this kit that can confirm? Testing with some Cat Empire, which normally has some bassy instruments, and it just sounds flat.

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #6,337 of 14,386
Thanks for the input, but I definitely think that these are faulty and maybe their QC needs a kick. I mean, when they arrived, the right grill had fallen off and the driver was exposed, which scuffed the side of the housing. But this sound issue is very worrying! Here are my settings:

Meridian Explorer: 80-85% Vol (Acceptable, bass missing, sibilant - almost feels like it's not happy with it)
iPhone 6: 100% Vol (Acceptable, bass missing, sibilant)
LG G2: 100% Vol (Basically can hardly hear)

Surely this can't be right? Anyone else have this kit that can confirm? Testing with some Cat Empire, which normally has some bassy instruments, and it just sounds flat.

Sounds faulty to me. Are both earcups the same or is one louder than the other?

Dec 26, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #6,342 of 14,386
  I ordered the 400i's like a lot of you with the sale and they arrived today.   Naturally my wife was there when UPS came and said to me as she took the box "Oh good, the Christmas present you ordered for yourself came today.  I'll wrap it so you have something to open Christmas morning." 

Damn.

So I finally got to try out my 400i headphones today!  I am quite liking them, but they really do leak a lot more sound than my HD600s do.  Fortunately I listen to them in my home office so that isn't an issue.  I am very happy with these, especially for the price.  Now I have to decide if my Asgard 2 is the amp for them.

Dec 26, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #6,343 of 14,386

I ordered the 400i's like a lot of you with the sale and they arrived today.   Naturally my wife was there when UPS came and said to me as she took the box "Oh good, the Christmas present you ordered for yourself came today.  I'll wrap it so you have something to open Christmas morning." 

Damn.

So I finally got to try out my 400i headphones today!  I am quite liking them, but they really do leak a lot more sound than my HD600s do.  Fortunately I listen to them in my home office so that isn't an issue.  I am very happy with these, especially for the price.  Now I have to decide if my Asgard 2 is the amp for them.

No kidding! Personally, for me they gush, not leak...

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #6,344 of 14,386
can someone pm the dudewho kept missing out on the 400i
smily_headphones1.gif
?

http://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/hifiman-holiday-sale/products/hifiman-he-400i-full-size-planar-magnetic-headphone-holiday-sale

Aw the $50 off promo code doesn't work lol.  Return my X2's for 400i's?  Think I'm gonna do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back