Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 14, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #6,196 of 14,386
You said the 560 has a different tonality? I recall people describing them as more neutral, is that correct? Would you consider them a good upgrade over the 400i? Besides them leaning more neutral, how would you compare the two personally?

Yes to me HE-560 is tuned more neutral in comparison to HE-400i. I would rate it as fairly neutral headphone, although sometimes with bright recordings it may sound a bit aggressive in lower treble (around 4-5 kHz). To me HE-560 is only modest upgrade from HE-400i in sound quality. But it also depends which genres you listen the most and what kind of tonality you prefer. In my opinion with rock, pop or metal HE-560 sounds only marginally better ,if better at all,  because HE-560 midrange sounds thinner and drier in comparison to HE-400i, which on the other hand sounds beefier in mids and bass giving vocals better weight and providing stronger bass slam. Modern pop , rock or metal is also usually awfully compressed/brickwalled so HE-560  advantage in better dynamic range or extension on both ends  does not play such significant role. On the other side HE-560 strenghts and better technicalities would certainly show up in (especially well recorded) classical, jazz, blues or contemporary music where HE-560 better staging, airiness, bass/treble extension, slightly better layering and reproduction of microdetail would be preferable.

Yes, the 560s would be more neutral (most easy to hear in the lower frequencies) and they are more micro-detailed everywhere, but the treble spike many people complain about with the 560 is worth taking into account. I owned a 560 for a year with extremely good amplification and yes it is an upgrade in pure objective terms but as you know this is very subjective. If you have decent amplification, like a little less, but more detailed, deeper sub-bass, then the 560 is worth considering. The 400i gets you most of the way there mind you, and it is a more forgiving signature overall.

I basically agree with Sonic Defender here. HE-400i is definitely more forgiving of poorer recordings and also a bit less prone to sibilance.

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #6,197 of 14,386
     Yes to me HE-560 is tuned more neutral in comparison to HE-400i. I would rate it as fairly neutral headphone, although sometimes with bright recordings it may sound a bit aggressive in lower treble (around 4-5 kHz). To me HE-560 is only modest upgrade from HE-400i in sound quality. But it also depends which genres you listen the most and what kind of tonality you prefer. In my opinion with rock, pop or metal HE-560 sounds only marginally better ,if better at all,  because HE-560 midrange sounds thinner and drier in comparison to HE-400i, which on the other hand sounds beefier in mids and bass giving vocals better weight and providing stronger bass slam. Modern pop , rock or metal is also usually awfully compressed/brickwalled so HE-560  advantage in better dynamic range or extension on both ends  does not play such significant role. On the other side HE-560 strenghts and better technicalities would certainly show up in (especially well recorded) classical, jazz, blues or contemporary music where HE-560 better staging, airiness, bass/treble extension, slightly better layering and reproduction of microdetail would be preferable.

Hard not to agree with this. I certainly feel the same way about the 560/400i comparison. When I re-read my reply it looks like I was saying the 560 has more bass. The 400i to my ears has more bass, but it would presented in the mid-bass range with the 560 having better extension and detail in the sub-bass range, but giving up a little in the mid-bass to the 400i. I also remember the 560 having a better soundstage, at least width as compared to the 400i which is not a soundstage master by any means.

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #6,198 of 14,386
i have a question, i ordered these from amazon, sold by some other seller, fulfilled by amazon. order is confirmed and payment is deducted from account. at the time of purchasing, it showed that item would be in stock on 12 December. i have not checked if its shipped or not, but can some seller back from such deal? its my first ever purchase from amazon from my own account so im little worried.

can some one tell what is happening? can this purchase be like, turned down or something?will it be sent to me or not?

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #6,199 of 14,386
  i have a question, i ordered these from amazon, sold by some other seller, fulfilled by amazon. order is confirmed and payment is deducted from account. at the time of purchasing, it showed that item would be in stock on 12 December. i have not checked if its shipped or not, but can some seller back from such deal? its my first ever purchase from amazon from my own account so im little worried.

can some one tell what is happening? can this purchase be like, turned down or something?will it be sent to me or not?

sure, seller can always back out of the sale until the product is shipped.  It's fairly unlikely.  If they're giving a fulfillment date, and it's fulfilled by amazon, that usually means that the seller has already sent a shipment to amazon's warehouse, and that amazon will fulfill at it as soon as it's in their warehouse.  

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #6,202 of 14,386
Alright guys don't want to go through the whole thread.

What's mods do I do to bring out more bass?

You can also try using electrical tape or something similar to tape the gap between the pads and the actual driver housings to slightly boost up bass response.

But I will say I am not a fan of this mod after trying it, and like @fjrabon said you probably would get better results from EQ since the 400i responds well to that.

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #6,203 of 14,386
Dec 14, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #6,204 of 14,386
Any other pads that will work with these. Does lcd pads work and how is it?

My old  LCD pads worked fine for me, but they are not a complete perfect fit. (They are a bit larger around the edges) They are also a little bit of a hassle to get on. But nevertheless I would say they do indeed work.

Here is a pic!

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #6,205 of 14,386
Looks nice and comfy. Does it alter the sound?

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #6,206 of 14,386
  Looks nice and comfy. Does it alter the sound?

It does change the sound a fair amount. I noticed right away that the bass seemed to be a bit more extended and the treble was more present. It improved the 400i's a lot in my mind, giving them that tad bit more that I expected the 400i could achieve. After listening for a bit longer it almost seemed like the Audeze pads made the 400i's sound closer to the LCD-2's, maybe a bit less intense on the low end but similar.

Overall I am pretty happy that I sacrificed the stock pads by ripping the glued rings off the stock pads to throw on the Audeze pads.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #6,207 of 14,386
You can also try using electrical tape or something similar to tape the gap between the pads and the actual driver housings to slightly boost up bass response.

But I will say I am not a fan of this mod after trying it, and like @fjrabon
said you probably would get better results from EQ since the 400i responds well to that.

Thanks guys, good to know.

I eq heavily

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #6,208 of 14,386
It does change the sound a fair amount. I noticed right away that the bass seemed to be a bit more extended and the treble was more present. It improved the 400i's a lot in my mind, giving them that tad bit more that I expected the 400i could achieve. After listening for a bit longer it almost seemed like the Audeze pads made the 400i's sound closer to the LCD-2's, maybe a bit less intense on the low end but similar.

Overall I am pretty happy that I sacrificed the stock pads by ripping the glued rings off the stock pads to throw on the Audeze pads.

What do you mean less intense. Rolls off earlier, ammount is lesser?

I have the he500 and lcd right now. The 500s bass seems dry compared to The lcd. Good amount of difference too. The LCD bass has a thick, weight to it that I like. Just can get over how heavy it is and the clamp force bothered me

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #6,209 of 14,386
What do you mean less intense. Rolls off earlier, ammount is lesser?

I have the he500 and lcd right now. The 500s bass seems dry compared to The lcd. Good amount of difference too. The LCD bass has a thick, weight to it that I like. Just can get over how heavy it is and the clamp force bothered me

The 400i's still roll off a tad bit earlier, and the quantity is definitely still lesser compared to the LCD's. But the pads still made the 400i's sound heavier on the lower end than the stock pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back