Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 7, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #6,016 of 14,386
  yeah.... i have learnt my lesson that nothing get lower price than on Black friday

Man, you keep just missing out.  These were at $299 earlier this AM.  Looks that like that dealer quickly sold out of the rest of his black friday stock once it hit Head-Fi, haha.

Given the black friday deals and debuts, it's going to be really funny in a couple of months when like 1/2 the posters here are rocking the THX00 and HE400i as their two main cans.

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #6,017 of 14,386
  Man, you keep just missing out.  These were at $299 earlier this AM.  Looks that like that dealer quickly sold out of the rest of his black friday stock once it hit Head-Fi, haha.

Given the black friday deals and debuts, it's going to be really funny in a couple of months when like 1/2 the posters here are rocking the THX00 and HE400i as their two main cans.

I am wondering if they screwed up and posted a Christmas sale price early.

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #6,018 of 14,386
  I am wondering if they screwed up and posted a Christmas sale price early.

highly doubtful, IMHO.  No way they do a black friday sale and then back it up with a Christmas sale like 3 weeks later. If anything goes on Sale for Christmas/post-christmas I would guess the HE400S gets a $100 off sale.  HFM completely sold out of HE400i during the black friday sale, so there's absolutely no reason to put it on sale again this soon.  

edit: also notice that the seller is now out of stock, which seems to go along with the idea that he simply sold the rest of his black friday stock, as opposed to accidentally lowering the price too soon.

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #6,019 of 14,386

but at least i have tried, literally my hardest to keep looking for them.
anyways, im sad :frowning2:

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #6,020 of 14,386
  but at least i have tried, literally my hardest to keep looking for them.
anyways, im sad :frowning2:

If I see anything in the future I'll PM you before I post it here.  Also if I decide I want to upgrade to the HE-X you got first dibs.  But that would be sometime next year at the earliest.  Between the HE400i, Fostex THX00 and Grace M9XX in the last month, my budget for headphones is tapped out for a while.

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #6,021 of 14,386
  So listening to ambient electronic stuff, I can't decide which I prefer between my 400i and hd650.  The 400i sounds a tad better, especially that sub bass, but it is also more revealing of the fact that a lot of electronic music (even FLAC) is recorded poorly.

I'm curious what ambient electronic music you listen to as I also listen to a lot of that stuff.  I did not get the impression that most of it is poorly recorded.  Is there any examples of a more well known song in ambient that is an example of a poorly recorded song?

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #6,022 of 14,386

If I see anything in the future I'll PM you before I post it here.  Also if I decide I want to upgrade to the HE-X you got first dibs.  But that would be sometime next year at the earliest.  Between the HE400i, Fostex THX00 and Grace M9XX in the last month, my budget for headphones is tapped out for a while.

Looking forward to your comparisons of the THX00 and HE400i! I was tempted to get the Fostex but ended up getting the 400i instead for $100 less. Haven't received it yet but so far I am thinking (hoping) I made the right choice for an upgrade to my modded T50rp!  

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #6,023 of 14,386
  Looking forward to your comparisons of the THX00 and HE400i! I was tempted to get the Fostex but ended up getting the 400i instead for $100 less. Haven't received it yet but so far I am thinking (hoping) I made the right choice for an upgrade to my modded T50rp!  

400i are great, I hope you are very happy with your purchase. You got it for a steal 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #6,024 of 14,386
My black Friday He-400i's just turned up. I got them after recently losing my Q701's (with bass mod). It's been two weeks without decent headphones and I've not had a chance to crank up my SET amp and horn speakers in that time either. I'm definitely looking forward to having quality cans again. I'm expecting to have to get used to planar bass though.

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #6,025 of 14,386

I'll be posting them wednesday and thursday.  I Took thursday off work solely for the purpose of a hardcore listening day, lol.  

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #6,026 of 14,386
If you want a little fun, this EQ setting really sets these off.  Not my normal setting, but when I want a real fun listen.  Not all that different from stock (no adjustment is over 3 dB) but really kicks them into the foot stomping zone.  

Great thing about HFM cans is how well the bass takes EQ.  If you think they could use a little extra oomph from time to time, they'll gladly oblige, while still keeping that bass ultra tight, fast and planar-y (as long as you have a low impedance amp feeding them enough current).  

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #6,027 of 14,386
I've been using my 400i's for a couple weeks now, but I'm not too impressed with stock pads. Do any of you guys have experience with putting Alpha Pads on these and how they will affect the sound? I tried Mad Dog's and instantly fell in love with the ultra smooshy pads. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #6,028 of 14,386
If you want a little fun, this EQ setting really sets these off.  Not my normal setting, but when I want a real fun listen.  Not all that different from stock (no adjustment is over 3 dB) but really kicks them into the foot stomping zone.  

Great thing about HFM cans is how well the bass takes EQ.  If you think they could use a little extra oomph from time to time, they'll gladly oblige, while still keeping that bass ultra tight, fast and planar-y (as long as you have a low impedance amp feeding them enough current).  

That is really close to how I eq!

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #6,029 of 14,386
That is really close to how I eq!

my "normal" EQ is basically the same adjustment, cut in half.  But that one just really kicks the fun factor to the max.  

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #6,030 of 14,386
Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting this
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=35

Is there any particular reason why I would choose this over the extender?
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=34

2.5m extender is 37 euro shipped. Total length will be 4m since the stock cable is 1.5m. I assume that this cable is compatible with other headphones cables as well as long as the plug is correct?
3m cable is 56 euro shipped

Users who are viewing this thread

Back